New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

thanks for the compliments on the new buffalo ... the trick is trying to incorporate this guy with sabres in a relevant yet visually balanced and appealing way.  I've been working with an attempt at taking the old logo of a buffalo leaping over two crossed swords and basically pulling it out in 3d .. so using this buffalo, and that having swords crossed beneath him.  Its been tricky to try and balance it out to a solid logo, but i still feel that if i can execute this thing properly .. it might be the perfect look.   while working on it, i had to alter the buffalo to make it all white, so that it didn't require an outline .. so heres what came out of it .. an alt version of that leaping buffalo...

original:

alt_leap.jpg

all white alt:

alt_leap_white.jpg

The better and better your concepts get, the angrier I become that the Sabres strayed so far away from what the fans wanted. Excellent work; I can't wait to see this buffalo with swords.

Visually stunning, but it has one major problem - it's too complex.

and it's smiling :D

Not as complex as the goat head.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing what legs add to this logo:

I made this today and have opened another thread in concepts so this thread doesn't get cluttered with C&C.

sabresoverhaul1.png

When shown like this (with legs), I think it's actually bearable! Amazing.

I actually really like this with legs; I think that was my biggest problem. I think that concept just needs more definition in the body/legs so that it's not one yellow jumble. I agree that the buffalo should be white, but PLEASE no white buffaslug on a black background! It looks like a buffalo sperm!

And John, I've been salivating over your designs for years now!

John, if you don't mind, I took your most recent buffalo and played around in photoshop with what I would do if given the choice. I didn't take the time to clean it up 100%, but it gets the idea across:

celnewcopy.jpg

Thoughts?

alt_03a.jpg

heres my take on adding legs ... also decided to make it the proper color ... oh also decided to make it less abstract and cartoon trendy ... also decided to do this 3 years ago ...

but i have to say, i dont think a buffalo stands to reason as a good standalone logo for this team for any reason whatsoever .. so i'd can this one anyway.

just my take.

The Sabres should just pay you and get this thing over with. You clearly have a superb design over whatever they've came up with.

No Kidding. After seeing his logos and such, anything else just pales in comparison now. I think I'll be disappointed in most any logo that's not on that page, and ESPECIALLY if the Buffaslug makes it as the final logo.

It's gonna be the biggest joke since the Fishsticks in Long Island.

Damn those are really nice logo's JS. I REALLY REALLY hope Sabres team hasn't already begun merchandising that stupid slug. We suffered 10 years with the damn goat-head and then we get downgraded to the slug wtf?

If they don't use your logo's I at least hope they don't use that ugly ass slug and ditch the history behind the white Buffalo in the first place.

while not the worst logo i have ever seen, i don't see how this is any better than the previous incarnation (which i thought looked great, but 99% of this board would say i am wrong). if you aren't going to go back to the old look, it's change for the sake of change. ugly change, at that.

downgrade.

thanks for the compliments on the new buffalo ... the trick is trying to incorporate this guy with sabres in a relevant yet visually balanced and appealing way.  I've been working with an attempt at taking the old logo of a buffalo leaping over two crossed swords and basically pulling it out in 3d .. so using this buffalo, and that having swords crossed beneath him.  Its been tricky to try and balance it out to a solid logo, but i still feel that if i can execute this thing properly .. it might be the perfect look.  while working on it, i had to alter the buffalo to make it all white, so that it didn't require an outline .. so heres what came out of it .. an alt version of that leaping buffalo...

original:

alt_leap.jpg

all white alt:

alt_leap_white.jpg

The better and better your concepts get, the angrier I become that the Sabres strayed so far away from what the fans wanted. Excellent work; I can't wait to see this buffalo with swords.

its not smiling, thats the shadow of its snout ... the mouth is unseen here.

and also I agree .. the complexities of it would make it ok as a standalone logo for a team named the bisons or the buffaloes ... but for where it needs to live, which is as a secondary item to the sabres themselves, too much.

thanks also guys for the compliments on the work .. i'd like to find the time now to actually update the site a bit, we'll see if thats possible soon.

You can always contact Sabres Mgmt. and voice your displeasure.

I am among the several hundered to a thousand that already have.

Contact Buffalo Mgmt.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I made this today and have opened another thread in concepts so this thread doesn't get cluttered with C&C.

sabresoverhaul1.png

When shown like this (with legs), I think it's actually bearable!  Amazing.

I actually really like this with legs; I think that was my biggest problem. I think that concept just needs more definition in the body/legs so that it's not one yellow jumble. I agree that the buffalo should be white, but PLEASE no white buffaslug on a black background! It looks like a buffalo sperm!

sabresoverhaul7.jpg

Better?

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

John, if you don't mind, I took your most recent buffalo and played around in photoshop with what I would do if given the choice. I didn't take the time to clean it up 100%, but it gets the idea across:

celnewcopy.jpg

Thoughts?

That is by far the best Sabres concept ive seen. And it is exactlly what the Sabres should make as there new logo instead of the crap they are going to make the new logo. All you need to do is clean it up and make the yellow gold.

thanks for the compliments on the new buffalo ... the trick is trying to incorporate this guy with sabres in a relevant yet visually balanced and appealing way.  I've been working with an attempt at taking the old logo of a buffalo leaping over two crossed swords and basically pulling it out in 3d .. so using this buffalo, and that having swords crossed beneath him.  Its been tricky to try and balance it out to a solid logo, but i still feel that if i can execute this thing properly .. it might be the perfect look.  while working on it, i had to alter the buffalo to make it all white, so that it didn't require an outline .. so heres what came out of it .. an alt version of that leaping buffalo...

original:

alt_leap.jpg

all white alt:

alt_leap_white.jpg

its not smiling, thats the shadow of its snout ... the mouth is unseen here.

and also I agree .. the complexities of it would make it ok as a standalone logo for a team named the bisons or the buffaloes ... but for where it needs to live, which is as a secondary item to the sabres themselves, too much.

thanks also guys for the compliments on the work .. i'd like to find the time now to actually update the site a bit, we'll see if thats possible soon.

I think given the look, you should either make the snout a different color, because it does give the impression the buffalo is smiling, or add a mouth so it's easier to identify that it's the nose. I think maybe just making the nose the darker gray would even work well enough.

celnewcopy.jpg

Thoughts?

That is by far the best Sabres concept ive seen. And it is exactlly what the Sabres should make as there new logo instead of the crap they are going to make the new logo. All you need to do is clean it up and make the yellow gold.

This is by far, the best I've seen, Better than Buffaslug

baltimoreravens.png

The Buffaslug (who thought of that?  It's terrific!) is very, very bad.  The 2006-2007 Stanley Cup Champion Sabres deserve better.

Talk about a pipe dream :P

Yea, like the flyers have a shot....talk about a pipe dream lol

I forgot, Buffalo is the championship capital of the world.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

sabresoverhaul1.png

When shown like this (with legs), I think it's actually bearable!  Amazing.

sabresoverhaul7.jpg

Better?

It works for me.

Archived