New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

The Buffaslug (who thought of that?  It's terrific!) is very, very bad.  The 2006-2007 Stanley Cup Champion Sabres deserve better.

Talk about a pipe dream :P

we gave the Flyers a nice first round spanking. RJ "scrambled eggs" Umberger is still seeing double.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were a Sabres fan I would write in and call the team about the logo and say how you saw the new logo in the Buffalo News and while you like the new colors the logo is horrible and will not buy anything with it on it.

Honestly this looks like it has the making of the infamous Islanders Gordon Fisherman/Stan Fischler logo. I would bet halfway through the season they end up putting the B logo as the primary crest. Which actually would be quite good.

Just wondering... does anyone else see a letter B in the silver area, combined with the blank space created by the arc? Or am I just crazy?

newlogoB.jpg

newlogo1.jpg

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

If I were a Sabres fan I would write in and call the team about the logo and say how you saw the new logo in the Buffalo News and while you like the new colors the logo is horrible and will not buy anything with it on it.

Honestly this looks like it has the making of the infamous Islanders Gordon Fisherman/Stan Fischler logo. I would bet halfway through the season they end up putting the B logo as the primary crest. Which actually would be quite good.

Why would they say they like the colors? These are not Sabres' colors. These are Michigan colors, these are Indiana Pacers colors, but they are NOT Sabres colors.

As I said before, the red and black is better than this crap. At least that color scheme didn't pretend to honor heritage like the new look does.

Navy is not an update on royal blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Buffaslug (who thought of that?  It's terrific!) is very, very bad.  The 2006-2007 Stanley Cup Champion Sabres deserve better.

Talk about a pipe dream :P

Yea, like the flyers have a shot....talk about a pipe dream lol

Why would they say they like the colors? These are not Sabres' colors. These are Michigan colors, these are Indiana Pacers colors, but they are NOT Sabres colors.

As I said before, the red and black is better than this crap. At least that color scheme didn't pretend to honor heritage like the new look does.

Navy is not an update on royal blue.

For those who like the colors. I never said it has to be word for word what I said. I personally like the colors.

The lack of legs, the total lack of definition, the curvy shape under the nose (is it supposed to be a leg like the animal is jumping?), and the yellow horn (the left horn) that looks like it is coming out of the buffalo's forehead all make this logo look very amateurish to me.

I like the addition of grey, and I like the colors in general. However I can empathize with Sabre fans that think the blue is too dark. A slightly dark-tinted royal would have worked equally as well here.

I know that people in the know have confirmed (explicitly or implicitly) that this is for real, but I just can't help but think that a pro franchise has better sense than to be represented by this... thing.

Oh yeah - why no actual sabres? While the 95 logo is cerainly dated and in need of modernization, I loved that it read "Buffalo Sabres" without having any words on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just wondering... does anyone else see a letter B in the silver area, combined with the blank space created by the arc? Or am I just crazy?

newlogoB.jpg

newlogo1.jpg

Whats with the mask over the buffalo's eyes?

Its like he's a superhero

LOOK OVER THERE!!!!

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

NO......IT'S BUFFASLUG!!!!!!!

I recently caught word that this was one of a series of proposals ... this one having been put together by JPatton ( http://www.jpattonsports.com ). This one had the best results in their focus groups, which apparently did not consist of buffalonians, or the correct age group completely.

They are sports marketing group which means they attempt to cater to the bottom line mentality, rather than the fans first, which then adds to the bottomline in the long run. Their business model is most likely skewed, which is why you see this result. Not enough brand recognition / research, too much time spent on market tests and comparisons. What this means is that their meetings would go a bit like this ... "the yellow buffalo got a higher response than white buffalo because its more vibrant against blue jersey, overall, with a 10% higher response, it makes more sense to use that." Whereas instead .. it should be, white buffalo has a mythological and historical background that can be transferred to multiple campaigns and marketing material ( think white buffaloes charging on 30 second tv spots, and large white buffalo herds charging on larger than life posters throughout the arena .... think campaign slogans that can come out of this ) to gain fan response which can be transferred to higher ticket sales and more merch sold.

Its backward marketing, backward advertising, backward design. Nice to see they at least carried the theme all the way through and turned the buffalo backwards from where it was to show how they are headed in the TOTAL OPPOSITE DIRECTION now.

It's beautiful, Roger. Everything except that F*$#^@G UGLY Buffaslug crest. But that's not your fault.

The more I read JS's last post, the angrier I get. The thing that has bugged me the most about this is that the one thing I've been hearing for the last 9 plus years here is that Sabres fans want to go back to the OLD crest. It really is overwhelming. And, in the end, we would have been easily pleased with something RESEMBLING the old crest. But this... is an abomination of all of that. It's like they took goat head, made it uglier, and put it in the sacred colors. Bah, sorry, I'm ranting...

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Praise be to Roger for not including a mustard alt! :D

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

It's not blowing me away, but it's not the ugliest logo ever, either. I like it better than the Ducks' ineffective new design. What I don't like is the color scheme...too close to Nashville, too close to St. Louis, too close to Atlanta.

Not sure why Buffalo wouldn't have wanted to stick with the original, brighter yellow. A very confusing design choice and further example why 'design by focus group' does not work.

Decisions based solely on focus group results equates mediocrity in design.

Well, the sleeves of the jersey were taken directly from Nashville's third jersey. It's not my fault though...I find it matches the logo amd colors perfectly.

Besides, Nashville's third jersey deserves to be put out to pasture.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived