New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here because I love logos and all, but....its just a logo.....for a hockey team. Its not like its the new Play Station 3 or anything.

Maybe your priorities are in the wrong order there, considering where you're posting and all :D

It's where I sit.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lawsuits, Cease and desist orders, it could get ugly if they talked too much and showed us the logos

I'm not trying to be a d*ck here because I love logos and all, but....its just a logo.....for a hockey team. Its not like its the new Play Station 3 or anything.

Who gives a rats ass about the new PlayStaion 3? I couldn't give a crap about anything to do with stupid video games.

My point here is - this is a logos forum...this is what we obsess about. What's important to one person may or may not be important to another.

I hate video games with a passion - that's just my opinion. Others couldn't care about sports logos and uniforms. That's their right to do so.

Lawsuits, Cease and desist orders, it could get ugly if they talked too much and showed us the logos

You're right...It's not like the new playstation 3, it's much more important than that. It's the identity of an entire city.

slugbat.jpg

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the new logo. From what we've seen and heard, there seems to be more evidence that this is the real deal.

Funny that after all this time, we now think that league's are leaking fake logos to throw us off the scent. When that happens, the CCSLC, SSUR, etc. will have truly changed the game.

As for this 'rumored' logo that was confirmed by a couple people who know people and not confirmed or denied by members here who have seen it (and gave a description that fits this almost perfectly), I like it. But then again I like different. I liked that crazy Coyote that Phoenix started with. That said, i'm not a Sabres fan, and if the Cubs did something like this I can't say i'd feel the same. Heck, even the walking Cub rubs me the wrong way a bit compared to my icon.

But I understand why the Sabres don't go back to the exact same logo. If this version of modern-meets classic fails as miserably as the red/black seems to have among die-hards, well, then they can do that a la the Islanders. But at least they went back to the yellow and blue (almost). That's a start. In fact, I think if they incorporated the old style with the new buffalo, it could work well, like some of the mockup jerseys that use the sabres and the circle a few pages back. Maybe this buffalo will be for the logo only and the jersey will actually have some sabres. We can only hope.

And the Sabres can always have throwback/vintage night to break out the classics. At least they might look like a modern version of the same team. Bringing back the colors help reestablish a tie to that identity.

You're right...It's not like the new playstation 3, it's much more important than that. It's the identity of an entire city.

Congratulations. I think you officially take sports logos way too seriously.

And, even though I think you're wrong, you're also forgetting a certain 0-4 team that wears red, white, and blue and might better hold that title.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Funny that after all this time, we now think that league's are leaking fake logos to throw us off the scent. When that happens, the CCSLC, SSUR, etc. will have truly changed the game.

I know for a fact that those other Ducks' logos that were leaked were "decoys" (no pun intended) in order to throw us off.

Someone who worked on the Ducks' new identity told me that himself.

I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that they might be throwing up a smoke-screen.

At least, I hope so.

By not speaking up, they're doing themselves and the community a favor.

Confirming that this logo is what they saw doesn't get you in trouble...leaking it in the first place does.

IF this logo is legit, it's really a shame that the Sabres organization missed the mark so badly. EVERY Buffalo fan I've spoke with hates this. They either want the old logo back or an updated version of it. NOT this. It's sad that some business people can be so blind to the demands of their customers.

I know for a fact that those other Ducks' logos that were leaked were "decoys" (no pun intended) in order to throw us off.

I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that they might be throwing up a smoke-screen.

At least, I hope so.

Interesting. I really wasn't buying into the league taking so much effort to try and throw us off. I could have seen them trying to keep things more under wraps, but I wasn't sure I believed they would actually create a fake logo to throw us off.

That brings hope.

Actually you don't know what your talking about. If they wanted to have a blowout sale with their current merchandise, they would reveal their jersey the same time as the Ducks, maybe a week or 2 after.

Have you ever thought that the reason why the Ducks unveiled their new logos and uniform when they did is that they had a deadline to stop using the ones that were designed by Disney? With that deadline being June 30 (the end of the 2005/2006 marketing campaign) it made the most sense to unveil the jerseys before the draft so they could have lots of pictures of their new draft picks in the new jersey. With those pictures and the team's new identity (both as a team and as a corporate entity) the Ducks will need the course of the off season to pursue advertising dollars and to secure naming rights for the Pond as Arrowhead's contract is expiring. Why else would you make the unveiling at a time when interest in hockey is typically low?

Also, the Sabres and the NHL are blowing out current merchandise with the goat head logo and red/black/silver colour scheme. Just around on nhl.com for your information.

When the new stuff comes out, a lot of the fans will still want to grab as much of the old stuff as memorabilia (collectors items) and keep it and just let it gain value.

I found this one really funny. Sabres' fans, for the most part, view blue and gold as the proper colours for the team. Compared to the old logo and colour scheme there is practically no reverence for the Goat Head logo and the jerseys that accompany it in the Sabres' fan base.

When the Canucks unveiled their fantastically ugly jerseys (the current ones you see now) the old stuff started to sell fast and the new jerseys just went off the shelf also. In other words EVERYTHING CANUCK was selling fast and it was a good marketing job, just poor design with the logo (orcabay sucks).

Once again, you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of market size and target demographic.

The approximate market size for the Sabres is around 1.1 million as there are not a great deal of Sabre fans who contribute economically to the team outside of the Buffalo-Niagra region.

The approximate market size for the Canucks is at least double what the Sabres enjoy as well as there being a higher percentage of the NHL team fan demographic in that total.

The Sabres marketing staff dropped the ball on finding the right design if that indeed is the logo, they are doing another bad job by not unveiling it during the off season.

I agree that if those "leaked" logos are the final product then the marketing team has done poorly in the design phase.

BTW: Anaheim also had a good run in the playoffs and had the emergence of a crop of solid young stars and a new goalie to take over #1 spot. I'm sure their old Ducks stuff and their New Ducks stuff are selling pretty quickly. Fans are opened to get used to the new designs before the season starts.

The new Anaheim ownership group had a deadline to discontinue use of the old logos and uniforms in trade. That is why they made their unveiling when they did.

If these leaked logo's are the sabres logo...and they are out in September, i don't think many fans will really like them right away and you'd still see more of the current sabres jerseys worn because of that rather than bringing them in early for the fans to adapt to.

If these "leaked" logos were to be the real deal then it would matter very little as blue and gold are considered the correct Sabre colours by their fan base and they will sell a crapload of merchandise simply on that basis. There will more than likely be a tonne of pre-ordered jerseys sold before the unveiling even occurs.

Just what i think, don't have to take it totally literal and spazz out.

BTW, this is a discussion board. If someone disagrees with your points or arguments in a post it isn't "spazzing out." It's called a difference of opinion. Get used to it.

At least, I hope so.

Really? Well then maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is at that level in more than just TOG's eyes.

But I thought the early Ducks stuff we saw was a survey that a focus group took and someone took a cell-phone picture of it. That's why the real logo and the flying duck had little circles next to it. They were supposed to pick their favorites, right? That was all a setup for us? Seems extreme, but hey...

Maybe I'll have to dig up the old thread and refresh my memory.

Something like this wouldn't have been that bad...

sabres%20new.jpg

Hmmm.... I like that.

Now this I would absolutely go for. It's a nice update on the traditional.

I just don't think the Swoosh Buffalo is strong enough on its own, nor do I think that yellow as a primary represents this team.

But this modification would actually be really nice.

Ok, PANTONE, regarding my above post, I checked the Ducks thread out. On April 2, Elwood Cuse posted some Ducks logos that looked like they were a cell-phone pic of a survey, in the NHL changes thread. One of the pics was the actual logo they introuduced. The other was a crest that wasn't used. No NHL misinformation there, because why would they include the real one?

CC started a new thread April 3 and then later added some pics to that first post from later in thread -- April 21 by baseballnut -- that had two similarly triangular crests that appeared to be on jerseys. My guess is that these, if any, are the fakes intended to throw us off.

So if, as you say, the NHL is spinning us, they did it 19 days after we saw the real thing. In my mind, once we see the legit logo, it's leaked. No matter if they want to flood the market with fakes to confuse us, conterfeiters, whatever, that really doesn't concern me. If the real thing is leaked and commented on two months or more before the release, what's done is done.

Now, that's not to say that they didn't learn from the Ducks mistake and drop this Sabres logo with added authenticity, but for what it's worth...

After looking at the hsbc arena logo, I am starting to unfotunately think this is real. Why, oh why, could they not have included crossed sabres in the logo?

That is what made the original so great. It had a Buffalo and some Sabres. Simple and to the darn point! If they are paying attention, I certainly hope it looks like Rutka's modification above. Hell, I've even concede for a yellow buffalo at this point.

Archived