Further proof that FIFA rankings are crap

Jigga

Who cares Canada moved up 29 places, without even playing a game, heck we're ahead of Korea who finished the group phase of the World cup with 4 points!  :P

Yeah, that's really bizzare. The FIFA rankings have been under scrutiny for a very long time and it will change right after the release of the current ranking

http://fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/rank/pr...,2540,3,00.html

Look at Nigeria, it's #11? Guinea went up 27 places to#24. Equatorial Guinea went up 59 places to #95. Bahrain, who almost made it to the World Cup, went down 40 places to #94

To be fair, a tournament shouldn't necessarily determine who's #1 in the world ranking wise. It's like tennis. The winner of a tournament should not automatically be #1 after the tournmanent.

I saw, I came, I left.

Ya, the FIFA rankings are horrible. I don't know how Italy can be #2, and Brazil #1 after the world cup. Moreover, I don't know how the U.S. could be ranked so high to begin with. They seriously need to revamp their system.

Well the World Cup is ONE event--it may be the biggest of all soccer events--but it's still one event-

I'm not saying I would agree with all the rankings--but look at it this way--

Winning the World Cup makes Italy the World Cup champions--but since it's only one event it doesn't by default hurdle you to #1.

Now if Brazil had moved up to #1 instead of retaining #1---you would have a point.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

It's soccer. Sheesh. What do you expect?

BCS?

The BCS is bad. I will never forget when they let Nebraska into the 2001 Nat'l Championship after they got lambasted by Colorado, didn't even make their Conference Championship, yet they got into the Nat'l Championship to get lambasted by Miami. Miami should've won, they were basically playing the #9 team for the Championship that year.

With that being said, FIFA is worse. Although their rankings don't determine crucial matchups (futbol gets it right by determining things on the field), you really can't trust their rankings, because they had the USA at #5, and even with all the hype preceding the World Cup, we knew they weren't that good.

No, it doesn't. I wish people who are ignroant of the game would stay the effin hell out of soccer threads. You dont like the game, we got it. Now go away.

The reason Brazil is ranked #1 is because they are the best team in the world. If they played Italy ten times, they'd beat them 6 if not 8 of those times.

The World Cup is a single-elimination tournament. The winner isnt nessesarily the best team in the world, they are just the team that won the world cup.

And the US is now ranked about right. They'd beat most all the teams behind them, and would have trouble beating all the teams above them. Thats an accurate ranking.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

No, it doesn't. I wish people who are ignroant of the game would stay the effin hell out of soccer threads. You dont liek the game, we go tit. Now go away.

Actually, I do like soccer.

But I get so damn tired of soccer people thinking it's on the par as baseball or the NFL in America.

If I had a nickel for a soccer person saying soccer is the fastest-growing sport in America ...

In other words, I don't take soccer seriously. And I don't think most Americans do, either.

No, it doesn't. I wish people who are ignroant of the game would stay the effin hell out of soccer threads. You dont liek the game, we go tit. Now go away.

The reason Brazil is ranked #1 is because they are the best team in the world. If they played Italy ten times, they'd beat them 6 if not 8 of those times.

The World Cup is a single-elimination tournament. The winner isnt nessesarily the best team in the world, they are just the team that won the world cup.

And the US is now ranked about right. They'd beat most all the teams behind them, and would have trouble beating all the teams above them. Thats an accurate ranking.

I agree about Brazil. Face it, if Italy was higher ranked before the World Cup, they probably could have caught Brazil in the ranking. But with Brazil making it to the Quarterfinals (again), they did more than enough to keep the No. 1 slot. However, with them not winning this year, they'll have to qualify, so the qualifying process will help their ranking more than will Italy, which gets a free pass to 2010.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

No, it doesn't. I wish people who are ignroant of the game would stay the  effin hell out of soccer threads. You dont liek the game, we go tit. Now go away.

I agree about Brazil. Face it, if Italy was higher ranked before the World Cup, they probably could have caught Brazil in the ranking. But with Brazil making it to the Quarterfinals (again), they did more than enough to keep the No. 1 slot. However, with them not winning this year, they'll have to qualify, so the qualifying process will help their ranking more than will Italy, which gets a free pass to 2010.

Actually FIFA did away with the winner getting an automatic berth to the next world cup after the 2002 tournament. Brazil had to qualify for this year's World Cup.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/zone/sam.html

I saw, I came, I left.

Actually, I do like soccer.

But I get so damn tired of soccer people thinking it's on the par as baseball or the NFL in America.

If I had a nickel for a soccer person saying soccer is the fastest-growing sport in America ...

In other words, I don't take soccer seriously. And I don't think most Americans do, either.

Actually, by most accounts, Lacrosse has passed up Soccer in terms of growth rate, so everyone's wrong! ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Actually FIFA did away with the winner getting an automatic berth to the next world cup after the 2002 tournament. Brazil had to qualify for this year's World Cup.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/zone/sam.html

Why wasn't I informed of this before I just posted that. You sure aren't helpful. :P

BTW, sorry for posting back to back. I would have put them together, but the topics are separate.

You didn't ask :lol:

Fair enough. :D

The World Rankings goes back 4 years from this date, and Brazil did win the Confederations Cup in 2005, a tournament Italy was not in, and Brazil cruised by in qualifications, while Italy did good too, but they qualified in a group featuring Norway as they're toughest competitiors, while Brazil had to qualify against all of South America, and still finished first, which essentially means that they are the number one team in South America. All Rankings, whether it be Tennis or Cricket, don't rank based on what happened last week, but rather what happened during the last 4 years. FIFA changed the system from last 8 years to 4 years just now, which is why you see big changes amongst many teams. Is Everyone Clear NOW!!

Archived