Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do people think the Portalnd Trail Blazers are going to move?

I've never heard in inclination that this would take place. Isn't their arena pretty new, and in good shape?

The Rose Garden opened in 1995, and from what I've seen on TV over the years, it still look to be in excellent shape. The problems involving the Blazers and the arena a few years was that Blazers owner Paul Allen (a billionaire about thirty times over) ran into financial problems with the team, and it especially didn't help that the team's infamous on and off-court issues drove fans away. Portland has always been a solid NBA market, and I can't see them moving, at least in the near future. By the way, Allen (a Seattle native) was one of two owners who voted against the move (Dallas' Mark Cuban was the other; essentially even before the Hornets temporarily relocated to Oklahoma City, the state of Oklahoma was considered Mavericks territory).

I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Allen plays a role in Seattle getting a new NBA team back, thus either brokering a move or owning the team himself (and thus selling off the Trail Blazers). At least with the Sonics' move, it opens up the Trail Blazers' broadcast territory into the Seattle-Tacoma market, although some folks may not like it.

Why do people think the Portalnd Trail Blazers are going to move?

I've never heard in inclination that this would take place. Isn't their arena pretty new, and in good shape?

The Rose Garden opened in 1995, and from what I've seen on TV over the years, it still look to be in excellent shape. The problems involving the Blazers and the arena a few years was that Blazers owner Paul Allen (a billionaire about thirty times over) ran into financial problems with the team, and it especially didn't help that the team's infamous on and off-court issues drove fans away. Portland has always been a solid NBA market, and I can't see them moving, at least in the near future. By the way, Allen (a Seattle native) was one of two owners who voted against the move (Dallas' Mark Cuban was the other; essentially even before the Hornets temporarily relocated to Oklahoma City, the state of Oklahoma was considered Mavericks territory).

I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Allen plays a role in Seattle getting a new NBA team back, thus either brokering a move or owning the team himself (and thus selling off the Trail Blazers). At least with the Sonics' move, it opens up the Trail Blazers' broadcast territory into the Seattle-Tacoma market, although some folks may not like it.

I'd be shocked if Allen ever did give up the Portland franchise. Paul Allen is financially and emotionally invested in the Trailblazers, lock stock and two barrels. Seahawks? Not even close to inspiring the devotion Allen has for his NBA franchise.

Now with the image overhaul and future looking bright, I doubt he'd ever leave the franchise.

Big update on the name change here, folks.

Just for some background so you know it's not like second hand info from some unreliable source. I work as a trademark researcher in NY, and our company happens to have the NBA as a client. Anyway, just got into work, looked at the priority search reports going out today and there, smack in the middle is an NBA search for "OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER."

It may very well be that this is not the name that will eventually be used, however, seeing as how it's the only NBA search being done thus far (at least in my time here) it could be the one (after all, if you're ordering a search report for the mark it generally means you're seriously considering moving forward in trying to trademark the name for use).

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Nope, the Storm were bought by a group of Seattle Investors, so they have no connection to the OKC team now.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Thank you Starchild, for actual information, always a pleasant rarity in these here cyberparts. I like your gravatar icon, as a fellow lifelong Knicklehead sufferer. For what it's worth, from what I've read on OKC NBA boards, the locals seem OK, lousy pun, sure, with the name "Thunder" so they can think of their Ford Center as "Thunderdome!" etc. OKC NBA's name could be worse, and very well might be. The more things change, the more we @ CCSLC will b :cursing: ch about 'em . . .

Oh yeah,

UNLIMITED CCSLC Emoticon Usage In '08!

:flagusa:

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

, the locals seem OK, lousy pun, sure, with the name "Thunder" so they can think of their Ford Center as "Thunderdome!" etc.

Oh good hell. Explain to me again why these slack jawed yokels deserve an NBA franchise?

Because they'll mostly fill up the 19,200 seat Ford Center. Better than the 13,335 in Seattle, but I won't go there.

It's just so much easier to trash on the midwest isn't it?

, the locals seem OK, lousy pun, sure, with the name "Thunder" so they can think of their Ford Center as "Thunderdome!" etc.

Oh good hell. Explain to me again why these slack jawed yokels deserve an NBA franchise?

Because they'll mostly fill up the 19,200 seat Ford Center. Better than the 13,335 in Seattle, but I won't go there.

Yeah, if they're gonna go around going "Hyuk, Thunderdome!", why not?

Call a spade a spade.

And yeah, don't go there about the Seattle 13k, because it's a specious argument. Give the franchise a few years in OKC so that the novelty wears off and saddle them with inept management and let's see how the attendance stacks up.

Call a spade a spade.

And yeah, don't go there about the Seattle 13k, because it's a specious argument. Give the franchise a few years in OKC so that the novelty wears off and saddle them with inept management and let's see how the attendance stacks up.

I just find it funny how everyone dislikes stereotypes so much, but people so often use them.

That's like me saying the Seattle fans would only show up to NBA games if they had free Starbucks or something ignorant like that. Nice way to categorize everyone in OKC as hicks.

Spade a spade may ass.

Look, if you are upset about them moving I totally get that. Be mad at Clay Bennett, he deserves the ire of Seattle fans. Don't take it out on the fans in OKC, they are just supporting their home town team.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. But it's funny how pessimistic some people are about OKC. I guess I can understand with Memphis being the attendance juggernaut they are, but don't lump every town into that generalization.

Call a spade a spade.

It's still good, because the team is good?

Oh wait...how dare I challenge your misperceptions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rams 80, ferrousoxide, EZ Street, 2 Minute Penalties EACH: "Going Off Topic"! Hey, I'm gonna call 'em like I see 'em. I'm gonna call 'em consistently. Now play nice! It really is TOO bad how cultural the Sonics/OKC move has been. ALMOST as bad as nearly 8 years of manipulated culture clash throughout "Our Once Great Nation" but I'll go THERE no further for now. I'm down with OKC getting their shot, Seattle getting back an NBA team is doable, I may live to see LA get NFL football again . . . LIVE. Fat Cat Owners collude with Fat Cat sports leagues and municipalities ALL on the fans' backs and then we end up fighting each other. It's Summer, what's done's done, let's ALL enjoy. OK, 2 minute minors over, now Back To The CCSLC Tirades In Progress . . .

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Rams 80, ferrousoxide, EZ Street, 2 Minute Penalties EACH: "Going Off Topic"! Hey, I'm gonna call 'em like I see 'em. I'm gonna call 'em consistently. Now play nice! It really is TOO bad how cultural the Sonics/OKC move has been. ALMOST as bad as nearly 8 years of manipulated culture clash throughout "Our Once Great Nation" but I'll go THERE no further for now. I'm down with OKC getting their shot, Seattle getting back an NBA team is doable, I may live to see LA get NFL football again . . . LIVE. Fat Cat Owners collude with Fat Cat sports leagues and municipalities ALL on the fans' backs and then we end up fighting each other. It's Summer, what's done's done, let's ALL enjoy. OK, 2 minute minors over, now Back To The CCSLC Tirades In Progress . . .

None of us went "off topic", check the thread bub.

from Yahoo Sports Ball Don't Lie Blog:

funny story on one the possible nicknames

Oklahoma City Thundercats: As the dying planet of Thundera (Sonics) meets its end, the fleet (team) is attacked by the Mutants of Plun-Darr (Bennett, the Mutants of Stern-Darr), who destroy all crafts (hope) save for the flagship (franchise) containing the young Lord of the Thundercats, Lion-O (Durant), his protectors (Green, Westbrook), and the source of the Thundercats' power, the mystical Eye of Thundera (Shawn Kemp's libido?). Although the Mutants damage the flagship (Seattle, franchise), they are driven back by the power of the Eye (money) to the safety of the world of "Third Earth" (Oklahoma). Ho!

Archived