Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm calling it now, the mascot (not necesarily the logo) will be some jacked up, high flying version of Thor, God of thunder.

No no no, you're all wrong.

It will OBVIOUSLY be spawned off of the Orlando Thunder's graphic masterpiece.

Let's hope for Day-Glo jerseys as well.

:P

I'm hoping that Kerwin Bell will be the starting point guard.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm calling it now, the mascot (not necesarily the logo) will be some jacked up, high flying version of Thor, God of thunder.

No no no, you're all wrong.

It will OBVIOUSLY be spawned off of the Orlando Thunder's graphic masterpiece.

Let's hope for Day-Glo jerseys as well.

:P

I'm hoping that Kerwin Bell will be the starting point guard.

Kerwin Bell - the only proof that the Thunder ever existed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At least OKC won't have the worst nickname in the league. That honor has to go to the Magic, with the Heat a close second.

Completely disagree. The Heat is a far superior nickname to "Thunder" in that it's pretty unique across the sports landscape. There's only one Heat and it's in Miami (great nickname that ties into the location). The only issue is the lack of plurality, which may have been an issue in 1988 when it was adopted. Frankly, that's a dead horse now. I have no opinion on the Magic name either way

Look up any half-assed sports league and you'll probably find a franchise that used the "Thunder" moniker. Additionally, it's the name of a very horrid Golden State Warriors mascot (that should be put out to pasture ASAP).

What do you think of Oklahoma City Thunder as a team name for the city's new NBA franchise?

Choice Votes Percentage of 2127 Votes

Love it 416 20%

Like it 396 19%

Lukewarm 560 26%

Hate it 755 35%

Source: KOCO 5 Online Poll

Maybe they'll have the name underneath the numbers on the back like their counterparts the Storm. Thunderstorm? :blink:

Again, the two teams are now no longer related.

On Monday, the NBA officially trademarked the following nicknames (to be preceded by "Oklahoma City"):

Barons, Bison, Marshalls, Energy, Thunder, Wind

Suddenly Thunder doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world...

I'd take Barons or Marshalls out of the two.

I will go to the league office and take out Stern myself if he allows whoever's in charge of naming the team to be named the Energy, Thunder, or Wind.

I'd take Barons or Marshalls out of the two.

I will go to the league office and take out Stern myself if he allows whoever's in charge of naming the team to be named the Energy, Thunder, or Wind.

Or to appease the environmentalists, he could combine some of the nicknames to form:

Oklahoma City Wind Energy :D

I would love to see the Barons

Marshalls just sounds too minor league as well as Bison and Thunder.

Energy wouldnt work. OKC d league affiliate is the Tulsa 66ers, it would be weird since Iowa Energy is not affiliated with them. Wind just sounds bad

Signature intentionally left blank

I would love to see the Barons

Marshalls just sounds too minor league as well as Bison and Thunder.

Energy wouldnt work. OKC d league affiliate is the Tulsa 66ers, it would be weird since Iowa Energy is not affiliated with them. Wind just sounds bad

Yeah, that nickname blows.

*crowd boos at obvious joke*

• 1 month later...

And the last, slim hope of Seattle is dashed.

Translation-Schultz has dropped his lawsuit.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived