Bill Simmons picks his EPL team

zjac7

He thinks that fans calling themselves Jews is cool and original. Too bad the Spurs were only, oh, 50 year behind Ajax Amsterdam. :rolleyes:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

He thinks that fans calling themselves Jews is cool and original. Too bad the Spurs were only, oh, 50 year behind Ajax Amsterdam. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't knock him too much about that, I recall getting into soccer for the first time - the amount of things to know can be staggering. I just hope his writing this helps other new fans get into the game.

He did make one big mistake, which was how he analogized Arsenal to the Red Sox, in which he thought Arsenal finally won they're first championship in 2004, this is indeed incorrect, Arsenal have won 11 league titles, and won one in 2002, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what he was implying.

Furthermore, it is very hard to pick up soccer facts in a hurry, this is one of the great things about soccer, its that your always learning cool things.

He did make one big mistake, which was how he analogized Arsenal to the Red Sox, in which he thought Arsenal finally won they're first championship in 2004, this is indeed incorrect, Arsenal have won 11 league titles, and won one in 2002, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what he was implying.

Furthermore, it is very hard to pick up soccer facts in a hurry, this is one of the great things about soccer, its that your always learning cool things.

No, his google-fu is just weak.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/28/internat...48cdbfd&ei=5070

(use noregistration3 and password for username/password)

Try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Footb...G=Google+Search

You'll find oodles of links.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Love the sports guy and love the mainstream attention soccer has been getting, but on this sports guy is totally lame. who would pick a team just out of the blue? wouldn't it make sense to watch a season, see a bunch of games featuring different teams from FSC, see which players jump out at you and pick a team that way? who can pick a team arbitrarily?

And I would disagree with calling Man U. the 'yankees' of the premiership.

Love the sports guy and love the mainstream attention soccer has been getting, but on this sports guy is totally lame. who would pick a team just out of the blue? wouldn't it make sense to watch a season, see a bunch of games featuring different teams from FSC, see which players jump out at you and pick a team that way? who can pick a team arbitrarily?

And I would disagree with calling Man U. the 'yankees' of the premiership.

I agree on all points schtee.

I love that ESPN even bothers to mention the EPL. It's a rarity in itself.

I also don't mind the idea of analyzing how an American sports fan chooses an EPL team. But that's an analysis that takes a season or so to analyze. I spent all of last year watching as much EPL as possible before settling on Arsenal, partly due to their Champions League form, partly due to Fever Pitch, and a lot thanks to the class of Thierry Henry. All three reasons may be lame and cliche, but at least I put a season's worth of thought into it.

I also disagreed with his ManU/Yankees analogy. A few years ago, maybe. But today, Chelsea is the Yankees equivalent by a country mile.

I myself am just waiting to see where my boy Clint Dempsey gets transferred to before I pick an EPL team to follow. Latest rumors are that he might be headed to Fulham or Bolton. Whichever team he goes to, I'll root for that team...

I myself am just waiting to see where my boy Clint Dempsey gets transferred to before I pick an EPL team to follow. Latest rumors are that he might be headed to Fulham or Bolton. Whichever team he goes to, I'll root for that team...

Fulham already have Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra so he may like it there.

The Man U/Yankees thing is pretty accurate in most respects- most genuine fans hate Man U and see them as a tourists team,whereas Manchester's team is City.

The only area it falls down is championships-The Yankees are the most successful but United rank behind Liverpool in England.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

The Man U/Yankees thing is pretty accurate in most respects- most genuine fans hate Man  U and see them as a tourists team,whereas Manchester's team is City.

I more or less agree on that analogy. I was fortunate enough to attend the Bobby Chalrlton Soccer School (yes, they actually called it "soccer" on my t-shirt, which sadly no longer comes close to fitting) in the '80s and part of the trip included a tour of Old Trafford, tickets to a friendly vs. Fluminense and Sir Bobby's surprise appearance in one of our scrimmages. Ever since then, I have been a United supporter, if for no other reason than that was my first real exposure to what became the EPL.

That being said, I always feel like I'm rooting for the Yankees, which causes a great deal of angst on my part, given how much I hate the actual Yankees.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Boy, you guys sure take Bill Simmons seriously. He'll probably just forget he even likes soccer in a few months anyway.

Or find more tortured ways to compare soccer (like everything else) to the 1980's Boston Celtics.

Simmons is a gifted writer and deserves a lot of praise, but man do I ever get tired of hearing about his stupid fat friends and the stupid Boston Celtics that weren't even as good as Pat Riley's Lakers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like all of the fans of my Gooners: Gavin Rossdale, Spike Lee, Hornby, Dido, Johnny Rotten, Roger Waters, Andrew Ridgeley,Ray Davies, Colin Firth, Will Wheaton, Freddie Prinze Jr., Kevin Costner, Jackie and Joan Collins, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry,Fidel Castro, John Gotti, Michael Moore and Osama Bin Laden.

Maybe they think they are weapons. :blink:

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

This is totally uncalled for, but Bill Simmons is an ugly dork. I'd been reading his stuff for a long while wondering what he looked like, then I saw him on some NFL Films piece on Foxboro Stadium and was like "...oh, I get it now." I think it was because he was rocking an ill-advised beard.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

he, and brad friedel, are my favorite american soccer players.

i'd LOVE to see dempsey in the blue and white halves.

As a Liverpool supporter. I was a little disappointed that the Reds were not Billy Boy's choice, but now that I think about it, it is good. Alot of people read his articles, for good reason, and most will probably jump on the spurs bandwagon. I enjoyed the article greatly, as I really have only followed EPL for a few years and my knowlege is limited outside of Liverpool.

Go reds.

Dempsey's not going to the EPL right away. Clint needs some Convey-like seasoning in the Championship as he helps a club gain promotion. Like Norwich City.

CAN YOU HEAR ME, NIGEL, YOU TOOL??!!

Oh, that's right, you're too busy chasing... no one! :cursing:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Dempsey's not going to the EPL right away. Clint needs some Convey-like seasoning in the Championship as he helps a club gain promotion. Like Norwich City.

CAN YOU HEAR ME, NIGEL, YOU TOOL??!!

Oh, that's right, you're too busy chasing... no one! :cursing:

I agree with Mockba, though not necessarily on the Norwich part of the equation. I think Dempsey, even with his talents, would be better suited to ease his way into English football through the lower division -- exactly like Convey.

Same for Eddie Johnson.

Archived