What is so great about the Raiders

Brendan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You young'uns weren't around when the tradition behind those uniforms was established. If you were, you'd understand.

Picture the Red Sox, after all their failures, winning the WS in 2004. They haven't made a substantive change to their uniform since, have they? And they won't. Why? Because fans generally want to see them with an appearance similar to what they had when they won it all.

In the Raiders case, multiply it by a factor of 5. The Raiders did win 3 Super Bowls, but they came close to appearing in literally a half dozen more than they did in their hey-day, and they weren't just the most dominant team in the NFL, but the most outright feared.

That's the tradition they're trying to uphold. Sadly the team's performance doesn't quite do it, so the uni's have to do.

nav-logo.png

Yah the logos and jerseys are classic but you cant deny that the jersey and logo suck. There are some great classic looks like the red sox and yankess that actually look good. But the Raiders no they dont look good.

Yah the logos and jerseys are classic but you cant beny that the jersey and logo suck. There are some great classic looks like the red sox and yankess that actually look good. But the Raiders no they dont look good.

Yes, they do. They look great, and that really pains me to say as a Chargers fan.

The Raiders logo does need an update. And the uniforms are recognizable, but nothing special.

Few people (especially on this board) can separate fanaticism from design aesthetics. Whenever I see a 'Best Uniforms' thread, it should read 'Rose-colored glasses uniforms' thread. I get a kick out of people saying Penn State has a great uniform. The fact is they wear a great canvas. They can start painting anytime.

Wait. I hate both the Raiders AND Penn State, and I love both of 'ems outfits. So how do you explain my like? I'm not a nerd about colors, and I'm not a fan about the teams.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Yah the logos and jerseys are classic but you cant deny that the jersey and logo suck. There are some great classic looks like the red sox and yankess that actually look good. But the Raiders no they dont look good.

you think the yankees look good?

they only look good because of the tradition... but think about it... if it wasn't the yankees, and some team just now unveiled their design, we'd all be calling them pajamas. they're silly looking... but they shouldn't change it.

the black jersey... solid black... no stripes, with silver block letters... that's a great looking jersey, imo. it's simple and solid and intimidating...

and i HATE the raiders.

The Raiders logo does need an update.  And the uniforms are recognizable, but nothing special.

Few people (especially on this board) can separate fanaticism from design aesthetics.  Whenever I see a 'Best Uniforms' thread, it should read 'Rose-colored glasses uniforms' thread.  I get a kick out of people saying Penn State has a great uniform.  The fact is they wear a great canvas.  They can start painting anytime.

Wait. I hate both the Raiders AND Penn State, and I love both of 'ems outfits. So how do you explain my like? I'm not a nerd about colors, and I'm not a fan about the teams.

I would guess you're obsessed with tradition, which has nothing to do with good or aesthetically pleasing design. It's kinda like chicks finding Mick Jaggar sexy. He's sexy because of being a part of the Rolling Stones. Otherwise, he's just a nasty looking Brit.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Yah the logos and jerseys are classic but you cant deny that the jersey and logo suck.  There are some great classic looks like the red sox and yankess that actually look good.  But the Raiders no they dont look good.

you think the yankees look good?

they only look good because of the tradition... but think about it... if it wasn't the yankees, and some team just now unveiled their design, we'd all be calling them pajamas. they're silly looking... but they shouldn't change it.

the black jersey... solid black... no stripes, with silver block letters... that's a great looking jersey, imo. it's simple and solid and intimidating...

and i HATE the raiders.

Agreed. I always say this about the Raiders jerseys: It's more than a jersey. It's an attitude. And I'm a Niners fan admitting this!

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Tradition is a beautiful thing, here's proof:

Oakland-Raiders.jpg

Raiders vs. Bears. Silver & Black vs. Navy & Orange. Two football teams that are dressed and look like they're waging war on the field. Now, compare that to this:

200520Seattle20Seahawks20Team20Comp.jpg

and this:

200520Miami20Dolphins20Team20Compos.jpg

Which looks more like a football team? Tradition (Bears/Raiders) or Modern (Seahawks, Dolphins)?

stoneraizersig.jpg

Gonna experiment with some logic:

What is a uniform supposed to do? I would argue it has 2 functions:

1) to create a unique, recognizable identity, and

2) to be appealing from a marketing perspective.

How do the Raiders stack up? For criterion (1), as has been discussed in this thread, the Raiders are one of the most instantly recognizable uniforms in the NFL. Their color combination is unique, and the uniforms are simple without being boring (a la Penn State). In addition, the Raiders are unique in being the only team that uses no white in their home uniforms (except for a smidgen in the logo).

Regarding criterion (2), the Raiders annually have been at the top of the NFL in merchandise sales, even when the team is less than stellar. In addition, they have one of the most rabid fan bases in the NFL, even with the team flip-flopping cities in SoCal over the past 25 years. Case closed.

I'm not sure what else you can expect from a uniform.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Picture the Red Sox, after all their failures, winning the WS in 2004. They haven't made a substantive change to their uniform since, have they? And they won't. Why? Because fans generally want to see them with an appearance similar to what they had when they won it all.

Apparently nobody sent that memo to the:

Houston Rockets

St. Louis Rams

Toronto Blue Jays

San Francisco 49ers...

I love the Raiders logo and uniforms. It fits Oakland and the team like a glove. If the Raiders changed their uniforms, they may end up like the Buccaneers with even :censored:tier uniforms than they had before. Keep the Raiders the same, anyone who messes with the Raiders look probably won't do much of a good job.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The Raiders, Bears, Packers, Browns & Chiefs all have 'classic' looks. Though I hate the Raiders with a passion - they suck duck crap - they have a great look to them. I agree with Tank - they represent that tie to the ole AFL.

OaklandRaidersAFL.GIF

The Vikings and Steelers did have that classic look until recent changes. Pittsburgh would have it if they'd drop those stupid 'curly' numbers.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The Raiders' unis are just outright clean and untouchable. The only change you could ever - and I mean ever - make to those unis would be to go back to silver numbers outlined in black on the roads - I thought that was a great look when they trotted it out as a throwback in '94.

That said, I hate the Raiders with the fire of a thousand suns. Go Bolts.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived