Biggest Logo/Uniform Upgrade and Downgrade

fonz

Downgrade: The Utah Jazz from their mid 90s jerseys to the ones they have now. Their uniforms now are just plain nasty. I was a really big fan of the old ones with the mountain in them.

Upgrade: The Toronto Raptors to their new unis this season. From what I have seen they are really nice.

kylekorversig1if2.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgrades:

NFL: Seahawks. I think the switch to a darker shade of blue did it for me; there's just something about the new color scheme that jumps out. (the monochromatic home jerseys still suck, though.)

NBA: Pistons going back to red/white/blue

NHL: Blues--got me to buy an NHL jersey for a team I knew I wouldn't be a fan of forever (they were my adopted team in Minnesota's NHL dead zone)

MLB: Angels. Remember, they brought back red when a lot of "red" teams were going blue (see: Indians, Rangers)

Downgrades:

NFL: Bengals--their jerseys from the 80s were great!

NBA: Pistons ditching the horsie logo--it was perfect with the horsie logo and the red/white/blue

NHL: Capitals making a slow, not-so-subtle move towards the capital building logo. I actually like the eagle logo and the color scheme (especially after ditching teal for navy)

MLB: Astros from their "end of the Astrodome" era jerseys to the current set--sure they couldn't keep the logo for the new stadium, but they could have done better with the logo change.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

I'd have to say biggest downgrade--Canucks original to the horrid giant "V"--just awful.

Biggest upgrade?

Hmm, the Oilers improved their colours dramatically by darkening the blue and changing the orange to copper.

I know people will not agree but the Sabres ditching the blue & yellow boredom for the Buffalo head was a very good upgrade.

There are a few others--I can't decide.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The current uniforms say "Brewers" much more then any uniform they have had. If the set with the Germanic lettering emphasised the Wisconsin/barly/ball logo they would have been perfect. As it was they decided to use the generic "MB" dimond logo.

The new set has a strong connection to the name "Brewers" and because of that I think it's a huge upgrade.

What connection to "Brewers"? The barley?

They had that on their alt - had they used the alt instead of the crossed-bats logo with the 1996-1999 scheme, then it would have been perfect.

I personally think the new uniforms are generic, much more so than the two 1994-1999 uniform sets, because they have absolutely no connection with the city.  The Germanic lettering might have seemed generic to you, but it struck a visual connection with the culture and architecture of Milwaukee.  The Cream City still has many buildings with an Old World influence (and many of the new ones have a modern echo of that influence), and the wordmark captured that perfectly.

I might be tempted to agree with you with the 1997 - 1999 unis, but I disliked the primary logo. At least during 97-99, they had just the M on the caps. From 94-96, however they went with the "interlocking MB" caps that my friends and I derisively referred to as "Motre Bame" due to their striking similarity to the interlocking Notre Dame ND.

Oh, I agree completely.

The 1997 re-design was the rare case of a club realizing that they had made a mistake but that they only needed a tweak instead of an overhaul.

I do wish they had used the alt as the primary, as noted above. I also would have eliminated the green instead of just downplaying it. Then it would have been perhaps the best uniform scheme ever worn by a Milwaukee club (and I'm including the Braves).

The current uniforms say "Brewers" much more then any uniform they have had. If the set with the Germanic lettering  emphasised the Wisconsin/barly/ball logo they would have been perfect. As it was they decided to use the generic "MB" dimond logo.

The new set has a strong connection to the name "Brewers" and because of that I think it's a huge upgrade.

They had that on their alt - had they used the alt instead of the crossed-bats logo with the 1996-1999 scheme, then it would have been perfect.

Yes, thank you for repeating what I said.

NHL:

Upgrade: Minnesota North Stars green to Dallas Stars black & metallic green, San Jose Sharks from the boring stripes to the more modern look.

Downgrade: Lots...

- Phoenix Coyotes (I like that southwest theme, unique and fit the area)

- Carolina Hurricanes (does that count that the Whale was ditched for that garbage?)

- Buffalo Sabres (original blue/gold to black/red to Buffaslug)

- Vancouver Canucks (red/black/gold of the Bure era to the whale C)

- LA Kings (Gretzky-era black/silver to the black/purple. Bleh)

- NY Islanders (Stanley Cup stripes to the High Liner man? Geez...)

MLB:

Upgrade: Houston Astros from rainbow to gold/navy, Anaheim Angels from pinstripes to World Series Red.

Downgrade: Houston Astros from gold/navy to brick red, Toronto Blue Jays from Clemens era unis to now.

NBA:

Upgrade: Washington Bullets to Washington Wizards, Pistons teal to Pistons blue.

Downgrade: Magic pinstripes to what they have now, Pacers pinstripes to what they have now, Hornets pinstripes to what they have now - guess who's in the minority that pinstripes on basketball uniforms look sharp? B)

NFL:

Upgrade: Bucco Bruce to crimson/pewter, but they should still bring back Creamsicle orange alt; Eagles green to Eagles metallic green; Rams yellow to Rams metallic gold.

Downgrade: Bungals to Bengals, Bills royal to Bills navy, Seahawks white pants to Seahawks monochrome.

stoneraizersig.jpg

The current script on Brewers uniforms also looks like you'd see it on a beer can or bottle.

My Upgrades, by league.

NFL: Bucs. Liked the creamsicle, but that fruitcake Bucco Bruce had to go.

NHL: LA Kings. Purple and black over anything.

NBA: Cavs. Best scheme in the NBA now that they added the blue uniform.

MLB: Padres. Navy looks better with gold than orange. I'll catch some grief for this one.

My Downgrades, by league

NFL: Seahawks. I HATE MONOCHROMES.

NHL: Islanders. BORING. Blue and orange is good, but i liked the angry fisherman was much better.

NBA: Rockets. Red and gray just don't go well together. Plus, i was a sucker for that old rocket logo orbiting a basketball, and the blue with pinstripes, a la Indiana Pacers.

MLB: Angels. From an okay logo and okay colors to boring logo and boring colors.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

Upgrades: (NBA)Denver Nuggets, (NHL)St. Louis Blues, (MLB)LA Angels, (NFL)Denver Broncos

Downgrades: (NBA)Sacramento Kings, (NHL)Buffalo Sabers, (MLB)Toronto Blue Jays (NFL)Buffalo Bills

Archived