New ESPN Graphic Package

jkrdevil

I think the box works better on a HD widescreen monitor as there's obviously more screen real estate to work with. I think the only change I would make is to have the red bars on either side be colored using the teams' predominant color.

And Tony was good. It's going to take some time to build chemistry like Theissman and McGuire had, but I think it's going to come. If nothing else, I give Satchmo total credit for my actually watching an entire preseason game. He was priceless as he kvetched about the possibility of actually having to work an overtime game in the preseason.

The players aren't still introducing themselves like they did on ABC? I used to watch the first 5-10mins just to see that: unbelievable unintentional comedy.

It will be back at the start of the regular season. Trust me!

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

One thing I liked was how the down and distance or penalty info slid out from the appropriate team's side of the display. It is weird having it in the middle though.

I always preferred them just putting the box on the side of the screen in which the offense is on.

Save the slugalo.

I take my initial reaction back. As the game went on, I appreciate how little screen space the scorebox took up compared to the bars everyone else prefers. However, I prefered last years smaller box.

My official network rankings of graphics packages:

1. CBS -- Classy, smaller, kind of cheesy

2. ESPN -- Smaller than the test

3. NBC -- Not great

4. Fox -- Terrible

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wish they all would stop showing any graphics after the ball is snapped. At most just show down and distance. Actual play action is usually about 10 seconds at most, save the scoreboard for between plays. Sometimes during the plays, the box in the corner covers up the guy with the ball.

B) I was hoping someone would post a thread on this topic. I actually was very impressed with how easily I could read the graphic and how nicely it satyed "out of the action", as the camera guys made sure we could always see the ball, and they ditched the graphic on replays, which was smart programming, so you could see fumbles, etc more clearly.

I like the ESPN package the best, and I like the updated in-game graphics from FOX, but I don't like FOX's smaller top bar, although I found it easy to read. I think the "quarter" lights were a botch, as were the way penalties were displayed, with the right half of the bar always black - wasted space. CBS graphics are often fuzzy on smaller TVs with 5 and 6 blending and 3 and 8 blending. Those are problematic.

NBC - just awful. Hard to read - too small, graphics are cut off in weird angles. Ugh.

I have a theory about how good a new fall TV season is going to be based on the new graphics which comoe out for football season. Based on this, I'd have to say ABC/ESPN will be a good year, Fox will be average, CBS will be average (basically no change from last year - of which CBS is already #1, so no real loss), and NBC will be bad, as usual. (Only one good weekly show on NBC anyway - ER. CBS has Survivor, NCIS, CSI 1, 2, & 3. I don't watch ABC as a rule, because they don't show anything I like to watch, except sports.)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I take my initial reaction back. As the game went on, I appreciate how little screen space the scorebox took up compared to the bars everyone else prefers. However, I prefered last years smaller box.

My official network rankings of graphics packages:

1. CBS -- Classy, smaller, kind of cheesy

2. ESPN -- Smaller than the test

3. NBC -- Not great

4. Fox -- Terrible

Running with dsgitlin's ratings of the NFL network packages:

NBC - Don't like it. Too contrived, IMO. Bottom line graphics are annoying.

CBS - Cheesy, but ample. I'll take simplistic over anything too flashy.

FOX - I'll say it: I like it. Upper scoreboard, and heck, I even like when they do the "Santa's sleigh bells" effect when there's a first down during December telecasts.

ESPN - Ok. I still don't like the placement of the score. It looks like some sort of alien remnant on the turf that shouldn't be there.

I will say this, except for the way-too-small type and quarter dots on the score line, Fox's overall graphics are pretty good when it comes to player displays, end of quarter graphics and the like.

And for the first time this year, I could look at a score graphic during the game from across the room and see who was leading. Thanks, ESPN.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I'll admit it. I dug it! I know this is kinda petty in retrospect, but with it being in the center, i was hoping they'd flip the teams as to which side of the field they were on each quarter. I just thought that'd be a cool touch.

Kinda surreal hearing the familiar MNF music blaring out my Ch. 30 instead of 12 though.

Since others have as well, here are my rankings:

Fox: like the bar, though flawed has TUP (Tremendous Upside Potential) and the complete graphics package is awesome.

ESPN: New style for an American Institution. Great look all around.

NBC: Not quite good, yet not that bad either. Like the bar on the bottom, though it is a bit hard to read. Graphics overall not bad, since this is their relaunch into the NFL world. I was worried they were just going to repackage their AFL look for the SNF games.

CBS: BORING! Just doesn't get me excited about watching a game that I don't care about. Like last nights Viking/Raider game, I loathe both teams but found myself watching it and a little excited too as well.

packchampionslfroh.png

I dig it. No really stupid graphics. It's simple, to the point. Has the teams, the scores, the time, the quarter, and the down and yardage, in a nice, neat little package. It doesn't take up half the screen and is actually readable, unlike some of the others.

It was a little shock at first, but after watching the game, i say it's probrally the best graphics package going for any of the NFL networks...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived