ESPN Continues It's Descent

buzzcut

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief, the next thing you know, they'll be televising people playing cards.

They what?

They are now.

What, you expect me to say something else? :D

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

What's next, competitive grocery bagging?

Hey, don't knock the contest - I've entered one of those at the local level.

That said, it probably doesn't belong on ESPN either.

I AM knocking it because it's not sport, it's entertainment packaged as sports.

Oh BTW, I assume you didn't win your uh hum....."Contest" didn't ya?

MofnV2z.png

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Looks like ESPN is going back to its roots. They used to be desparate for product and would air any old thing -- Strongest man competitions, Aussie Rules Football, etc. However, those events at least had some athletic achievement. Cup stacking? Dominos? Whatever...

It's too bad they added ESPNU and ESPN Classics. Adding the NFL and NBA networks, the market has been been completely fragmented. Whereas ESPN might have been able to show classic football or basketball games, they're stuck with silly "competitions" instead. I'm sure AFL has its own strict distribution rights now, so that can't be shown either.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy rights for USL soccer games? Or MLL? Or some game that could be aired on tape delay instead? I get the "E" part of ESPN, but I always thought the S was the most important.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The real joke is the name "Sport Stacking"... up until a year or so ago, it was "Speed Stacking" or "Cup Stacking", but then Speed Stacks, the leader in making these cups, did this whole about face to protect their trademark, forcing all retailers (I'm involved with one that sold a ton of these online) to market "Sport Stacking"... along with their "we own it but try to make it seem impartial" championships by their puppet organization, the World Sport Stacking Association.

Cup Stacking kinda made sense. But Sport Stacking? You aren't stacking sports! :)

[end of rant]

Looks like ESPN is going back to its roots.  They used to be desparate for product and would air any old thing -- Strongest man competitions, Aussie Rules Football, etc.  However, those events at least had some athletic achievement.  Cup stacking?  Dominos?  Whatever...

It's too bad they added ESPNU and ESPN Classics.  Adding the NFL and NBA networks, the market has been been completely fragmented.  Whereas ESPN might have been able to show classic football or basketball games, they're stuck with silly "competitions" instead.  I'm sure AFL has its own strict distribution rights now, so that can't be shown either.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy rights for USL soccer games?  Or MLL?  Or some game that could be aired on tape delay instead?  I get the "E" part of ESPN, but I always thought the S was the most important.

OLN/Versus has the rights to the AFL. and ESPN actually has the rights to MLL Lacrosse. I also believe Classic Sports existed before hand and ESPN bought it out but still buying it out prevented classic games during the daytime.

Yeah, Cup Stacking is dumb and I'm sure there will be a 5 minute feature on sportscenter about it. This is why I hope OLN/Versus gets the rights to the LCS that way ESPN finally has a viable competitor (FSN doesn't count because it's regionalization prevents it from having any type of real national programming).

OLN/Versus has the rights to the AFL. and ESPN actually has the rights to MLL Lacrosse. I also believe Classic Sports existed before hand and ESPN bought it out but still buying it out prevented classic games during the daytime.

I didn't know that about OLN. My cable system doesn't carry it, so there we go. Best of luck to them getting the LCS.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Looks like ESPN is going back to its roots.  They used to be desparate for product and would air any old thing -- Strongest man competitions, Aussie Rules Football, etc.  However, those events at least had some athletic achievement.  Cup stacking?  Dominos?  Whatever...

It's too bad they added ESPNU and ESPN Classics.  Adding the NFL and NBA networks, the market has been been completely fragmented.  Whereas ESPN might have been able to show classic football or basketball games, they're stuck with silly "competitions" instead.  I'm sure AFL has its own strict distribution rights now, so that can't be shown either.

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy rights for USL soccer games?  Or MLL?  Or some game that could be aired on tape delay instead?  I get the "E" part of ESPN, but I always thought the S was the most important.

Yeah, Cup Stacking is dumb and I'm sure there will be a 5 minute feature on sportscenter about it. This is why I hope OLN/Versus gets the rights to the LCS that way ESPN finally has a viable competitor (FSN doesn't count because it's regionalization prevents it from having any type of real national programming).

ESPN Classic is now strictly for re-runs of old ESPN shows.

Also, OLN/Versus probably won't get an LCS deal due to their more limited distribution on other cable systems(DirecTV/Dish do offer it though).

MofnV2z.png

ESPN Classic is now strictly for re-runs of old ESPN shows.

Also, OLN/Versus probably won't get an LCS deal due to their more limited distribution on other cable systems(DirecTV/Dish do offer it though).

But it's distribution will in all likely hood go up and reach the same amont of homes if they get the LCS package.

Do not place all the blame on the mega beast ESPN but remember they would not air sport cup stacking if advertisers would not buy ad time, which will not happen if people who buy crap did not watch ESPN broadcsts of championship darts or eating competitions.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Lest ye forget that ESPN does stand for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network they're just fulfilling the "Entertainment" part of their name with useless crap that someone apparently finds entertaining. Next you're gonna see Professional Valet Parking competitions or something else rediculous that doesn't need ANY airtime whatsoever

Really, this is dumb...why does this have to happen. The worse thing is the fact that Classic Sports was awesome. They'd have the occasional show like Schaap One on One or old Roy Firestone re-runs, but for the most part it was nothing but games. Then ESPN bought them out, switched the name, and basically nothing really changed for what, 10 years or so, they just improved it by putting on Vintage NBA and other old shows of that ilk that they had done in the past. Good times! Then in the last couple years or so, they just went down the tubes, showing Arliss and Cheap Seats everynight. Nothing but Poker 24/7 other than that. Well, occasionally karate or bowling, but no, you know, sports. The thing I miss the most is the week before the All-Star Break they would always start on the Tuesday before and show every game from around 1968, until culminating on Sunday, then on Monday (day of HR Derby) they would show all the Home Run Derbys starting in 1995 or so right up until time for the current one (which I will say they did do that this season, not sure of the other thing).

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived