Chargers uniform history

Slater

That's a great uniform history site the Chargers have. Good for them.

By every measure, the "retro" version that they wear from time to time is the most popular with Chargers fans. There's no doubt.

Every time the fans get polled, they vote for the throwbacks. Only the owner's insistence on putting his "stamp" on the organization keeps them from adopting them full-time.

That's a great uniform history site the Chargers have. Good for them.

By every measure, the "retro" version that they wear from time to time is the most popular with Chargers fans. There's no doubt.

Every time the fans get polled, they vote for the throwbacks. Only the owner's insistence on putting his "stamp" on the organization keeps them from adopting them full-time.

Which is why the uniforms from the 1985-86 era would be the perfect compromise.

QPR%20Sig.png

I know there's some love for those uniforms on these boards, but:

1) that's not a compromise at all; and

2) compromises themselves make for lousy design decisions.

The reason it's not a compromise is because the owner wants his own design, not a former one. He introduced the current uniforms when he bought the team, and he won't go back. A compromise might be to use "his" uniform in the old colors that the fans want.

But, as per 2) above, that would also make for a lousy design decision. :P

I wish every team did this

Since it's actually on the official team page, I think this may happen for all of the teams at some point. The NFL is such a copycat league.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I know there's some love for those uniforms on these boards, but:

1) that's not a compromise at all; and

2) compromises themselves make for lousy design decisions.

The reason it's not a compromise is because the owner wants his own design, not a former one. He introduced the current uniforms when he bought the team, and he won't go back. A compromise might be to use "his" uniform in the old colors that the fans want.

But, as per 2) above, that would also make for a lousy design decision. :P

But if it makes neither side happy, it's the only fair decision :P

QPR%20Sig.png

I think that should make a new uni with power blue, navy, and gold? <_<

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

The one thing that annoys the hell out of me with the Chargers uniforms (and a few Tampa Bay Lightning concepts) is that they take that long jagged bolt, which is stretched over the shoulders or down the legs, which is supposed to the be the substitute of the stripe on it's own (which does kind of work), and they then place that bolt inside another actual stripe. That drives me nuts when a pattern that's supposed to act as the stripe is then placed inside a stripe.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The Chargers actually picked it up from this site belonging to Peter Christopher (they acknowledge this as well):

http://www.christopdesign.com/chargers/cha...orms_flash.html

For some reason they decided not to show the 1974-78 version, but here it is

Chargers_Uni_1974-78.gif

They probably don't show it because it's the best one they've ever had, and that would ruin both sides of every arguement.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

You know, I used to be firmly in the "powder blue" camp but after watching the great Miami/San Diego playoff game from '81 made me realize that those unis were actually pretty damn neat. I think i'm more in favour of those Fouts era uniforms then the powder blues.

Archived