Tiger Woods Wins PGA Championship

TFoA

In almost exactly 10 years as a PGA Tour professional, Tiger Woods has won 12 of approx 40 majors. That's almost a third of all major tournaments he's in.

Does that even sink in at this point? I'm not sure. But in amongst fields of about 150 in every major tournament, Tiger has beaten them all almost a third of the time. That's three tenths... a .300 winning percentage.

Some teams, over the course of a season, have not even achieved a .300 winning percentage, and they only play one entity every time they go out. Tiger faces 150 other entities.

Not to mention his unflappability when leading or sharing the lead in such a tournament. He's like a baseball closer at the top of his game - put him in with the lead at the end of the game, and you might as well hand him the trophy and the cheque, because he will not lose.

I just consider myself fortunate to be able to alive during this career. Sometimes I wish I had been alive (or at least aware of what was going on) during the primes of some of the greats - the Ruths, the Orrs, the Birds, the Nicklauses, etc. etc.

But I've seen the second half of Jordan and Gretzky's careers, and now I'm witnessing the career of Tiger Woods, and that is very cool.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Tank, it may have been boring from the competitive perspective, but it was great from the golf perspective.

I mean, you have a blowout in a Super Bowl and, like you say, boring. But if a guy is playing super golf, you watch what he is doing right and try to apply some of that to your game.

One of the things I have learned from Tiger is not to putt so damn hard when your ball is a million feet away, on the other end of the green. Just roll it up to the hole and try to two-putt. It's helped my game a lot.

I am in awe of Tiger's clutchness on Sundays, when the big match is on the line. Composed, smart, and doesn't take needless risks. He works harder than anyone else, and keeps getting better. It's not a "given" that he won today...he shot -4 today and won by 5. Look at Mickelson in the US Open...his Sunday performance will haunt him forever. Ability isn't enough to get it done in the majors...it takes more to win one, and then another, and then another...

Many have played big in certain majors and have been flashes in the pan...see "Steve Jones". Tiger has 12 now at age 30. Nicklaus was 33 when he won his 12th. Like him or not, you have to respect his calm under pressure. Vince Young is a large reason why UT beat USC in the Rose Bowl...amassing over 400 combined yards when it counted. Broadway Joe is in the HOF largely because of his performance in Superbowl III (his stats alone would NOT put him in the HOF...look at those INTs for example).

Tiger works hard, plans for every major by practicing what shots he'll need for a specific course and then performs well, time and time again. And to see a guy that successful give back to the community the way he has just makes him even better (his children's learning center, etc). I would love to see an AI or a Kobe give back 10% of what Tiger does.

My hat is off to this guy.

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

What amazes me about Tiger Woods is that he is just as focused with a 5 stroke lead with two holes left as he is when he only has a one stroke lead or a share of the lead. Not only that, but that he has never been content with clearly being the best golfer in the World and has always strived to be better.

IUe6Hvh.png

He's now 12 for 12 in majors he's led after 3 rounds.

That is trully an amazing stat

"El Tigre" has gained more of my respect year after year, but doen't that stat mean he needs to come from behind more? Honestly, my lowest score was 78 for 18, but if you have publically stated that there are only four tournaments each year you concentrate on, shouldn't you win once when NOT lead at the cut or after three? It as if the courses which he knows he can hit 3 wood off the tee and know that nobody can touch his short game is possible, he wins. I think this is a reason why the PGA Tour is instilling more of a playoff next season, just to have Tiger play more tournaments. Personally, I really don't care where is plays, but the tournaments which he (Tiger) does not think as necessary, do. Outside the majors, he normally plays the Memorial, the Nelson, Bay Hill, and at least two of the Buick sponsored events.

Including majors, Tiger wins every fourth start. That is great, but if he cannot stare down his final pariing opponent, he is not the same player. Remember, last year at Baltusrtol, he left on Sunday night believing that no player would drop to his clubhouse score. Phil did win by one stroke, but leading is his biggest fuel.

Tiger Woods would need to cool off a bit in order to set up the perfect scenario for the 95th PGA Championship in August 2013 at Oak Hill Country Club in Pittsford.

Woods on Sunday won the PGA Championship for his sixth major in his last 23 attempts and the 12th of his career, breaking a tie with Rochester's Walter Hagen for No. 2 on the all-time list.

If Tiger wins six of the next 27 majors, he'd arrive here (Rochester) in 2013 poised to earn his 19th career major victory to break the tie with Jack Nicklaus.

You people in the East should make the trip to Rochester to watch.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Man, I'm sick of seeing him win, but without him winning I wouldn't bother watching golf at all :wacko:

How much sense does that make? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Not much.

Anyway, this is greatness in my eyes. There has never been a player in any sport that I've ever seen who is more clutch then Tiger Woods when leading heading into Sunday. Never. And I doubt that anyone can ever be as clutch as he is (unless someone else is your definition of 'clutch').

Tank, it may have been boring from the competitive perspective, but it was great from the golf perspective.

I mean, you have a blowout in a Super Bowl and, like you say, boring. But if a guy is playing super golf, you watch what he is doing right and try to apply some of that to your game.

One of the things I have learned from Tiger is not to putt so damn hard when your ball is a million feet away, on the other end of the green. Just roll it up to the hole and try to two-putt. It's helped my game a lot.

Well its the same kinda boring that a Super Bowl Blow out is or a World Series Sweep. Tiger was just taht much better tahn everyone else this weekend, it was over as soon as he took the course Sunday.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived