Great Lakes Loons

Brian in Boston

The Michigan Baseball Foundation has unveiled the new identity for the relocated Southwest Michigan Devil Rays of the Single-A Midwest League. The team has been named the Great Lakes Loons.

Primary Logo

LoonsLogo.jpg

Lou E. Loon - Team Mascot

LouELoonb.jpg

While the mascot costume was obviously developed by a top-notch outfit, the logo doesn't strike me as overly impressive.

This some how fits the Devil Rays orginization, just think drafted by the D-Rays you csan be a Loon then a Biscutt, a Durham Bull then play in the Trop. Who says a MLB career is not a dream come true?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This some how fits the Devil Rays orginization, just think drafted by the D-Rays you csan be a Loon then a Biscutt, a Durham Bull then play in the Trop. Who says a MLB career is not a dream come true?

Outstanding analysis. Could not have been better stated.

As for the logo, isn't "Great Lakes" in one of the most generic fonts of all time? They should have used Copperplate....

Cards.png

The Michigan Baseball Foundation has unveiled the new identity for the relocated Southwest Michigan Devil Rays of the Single-A Midwest League. The team has been named the Great Lakes Loons.

Primary Logo

LoonsLogo.jpg

Lou E. Loon - Team Mascot

LouELoonb.jpg

While the mascot costume was obviously developed by a top-notch outfit, the logo doesn't strike me as overly impressive.

Looks like Team Spirit!

http://www.dafont.com/team-spirit.font

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Fans can flock to see the Loons in Midland

Associated Press

Sat, Aug. 26, 2006

MIDLAND, Mich. - The Loons are coming.

The Michigan Baseball Foundation announced Saturday that Midland's minor league baseball team will be called the Great Lakes Loons.

The team will begin play in 2007 after moving from Battle Creek, where it now exists as the Southwest Michigan Devil Rays, a Tampa Bay Devil Rays affiliate in the Class A Midwest League.

The Loons are named after a swimming bird with a striped neck, red eyes and a distinctive mournful cry. The team's mascot will be called Lou E. Loon.

"We wanted a name that would represent our region well," said Paul Barbeau, team president and general manager. "Great Lakes Loons is the perfect fit because it highlights one of the state's most recognizable features and one of our most unique birds."

The name was chosen from among more than 3,500 entries. Randy Trudell of Pinconning and Shawn Zebrak of Midland both suggested "Loons" and will receive season tickets to the team's 2007 season, the Midland Daily News reported.

Midland is also home of the Dow Chemical Co. Former Dow chairman William S. Stavropoulos is head of the Michigan Baseball Foundation, which is building the Loons' 3,500-seat stadium.

It is not yet known if the Loons will retain their 2-year-old affiliation with Tampa Bay. The team was called the Michigan Battle Cats from 1995-98, when it was a Boston Red Sox affiliate, and from 1999-2002, when it was a Houston Astros farm team. It was a New York Yankees affiliate called the Battle Creek Yankees in 2003-04.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

It is not yet known if the Loons will retain their 2-year-old affiliation with Tampa Bay. The team was called the Michigan Battle Cats from 1995-98, when it was a Boston Red Sox affiliate, and from 1999-2002, when it was a Houston Astros farm team. It was a New York Yankees affiliate called the Battle Creek Yankees in 2003-04.

Strangely enough folks down here are wondering if the Durham Bulls are going to retain their affiliation with the Devil Rays once their current deal expires (after 2008, I think), in part because the Bulls rep has been taking a beating this year.

nav-logo.png

anyone want to read into the fact that there is a color that at least could be seen as something loosely related to "brick red" in the logo? (the loon's head looks similar to rays, green, too).

i know that minor league affiliates often dont worry about matching the big league team. but i figured id throw it out there...

obvi just trying to throw some fuel on the fire...dont take me too seriously

everton.png

... But loons aren't green. They're black and white, with red eyes. And that's a nice color scheme right there without throwing green in. Loon are only green if you've never actually seen one, and you don't understand that the green that guidebook painters use is just meant to show that the neck feathers are shinier than the rest of the bird. It's like blue hair in comic books: Superman doesn't have blue hair; artists just use blue hair to show how shiny his black hair is.

Can't say I think much of the location name, either. "Great Lakes"? That's anywhere from Duluth to New York state. What was wrong with "Michigan Loons" or "[name of city] Loons"?

And what's with the "s" in Loons not connecting to the underline? Someone should tell the designer to type shift-zero after the "s".

Still, aside from not looking anything like a loon, that's a nice mascot. Looks a little scary-crazy, like a good mascot should.

20082614447.png

Wow, that logo sucks, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Midland. "Great Lakes"? If they really wanted to represent the region, how about "Tri-City" or "Mid-Michigan"?!

Anyway, there another logo from their website.

75dc64fae7aa063813e228b9a952f1db.400.jpg

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Please, please, please let them name the stadium the "Loonie Bin" and have a straitjacket night. Ahh the possabilities.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I duno, maybe its the eye placement, but the loon looks kinda perverted.

It's the smile

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived