Top 10 Web Gems

Shumway

Baseball Tonight is airing the top 10 Web Gems in history tonight, so I figure, let's see what you guys would put up there....here's ESPN's list:

10. Willie Mays

9. Kenny Lofton robs B.J. Surhoff

8. Griffey breaks his wrist on the wall

7. Aaron Rowand facebreak

6. Buck Martinez tags out two with broken leg at home

5. Ozzie Smith dives over CF Curt Ford

4. Otis Nixon robs Andy Van Slyke

3. Gary Matthews, Jr. climbs the wall

2. Jim Edmonds backwards dive (why this man is my hero)

1. Ozzie Smith barehand dive

My thoughts:

10. The Paul O'Neil kick....comical, yes...but impressive

9. Griffey wrist break

8. Jeter dives into stands

7. Ozzie Smith dives over CF

6. Otis Nixon robbing Andy Van Slyke

5. Gary Matthews, Jr...I actually didn't think it was that great at first, but after seeing it again, I'm dumbfounded.

4. The Jeter Flip...I'm surprised this wasn't on here

3. Willie Mays...the throw was impressive too

2. The Jimmer(Edmonds) backwards dive

1. Ozzie Smith diving barehand

I would've loved to have put Edmonds at #1, but Ozzie's barehand was just ridiculous. Jimmy's catch is just incredible though. As an outfielder, I don't think I could even pick a ball coming like that.

How the hell is Mays not top 3?

Lets review the play.

World Series, late innings, runner on second, a catch more than 400 feet from home plate, back to home plate, he threw it back (rather than Edmonds diving for no reason).

The runner scores if he doesn't make that catch and throw.

1997 | 2003

ESPN is retarded Mays is the greatest catch ever. It changed the whole outcome of the World Series. That ball falsl in Indians win Game 1 and who knows what happens after that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't agree with the notion that Edmonds never has to dive...but the play in question was one that he had to no matter what.

They are refering to the one from the Angels when he had to fully extend just to get a glove on it. He dove straight back. It was impressive.

I put the Mays one at 2 because Ozzie's barehand play was insane. Edmonds at 3.

BTW...to me a web gem is not "best play." Best play takes into consideration all the things surounding the game like score, world series, etc. A web gem is just flashing leather. The play is the focal point, not the situation. Because you guys are absolutly right. Ozzie's play happened in a meaningless game as did edmonds.

I've somehow NEVER seen the Angels catch of Edmonds...always miss it. If anyone has an online video clip of it, lemme know, because I haven't been able to find one.

But, that catch isn't even Edmonds best catch ever (though, again, Pat makes a good point that best doesn't have to equal web gem).

Edmonds best catch last year came in Game 7 of the 2004 NLCS. He was the hero in Game 6 hitting the walkoff to force Game 7. In Game 7 he made an amazing catch diving back and to the side across his body to rob the Astros of a big play and a couple of runs in the early innings. If Edmonds doesn't make that catch, the Cards are down and out, and I don't think they win that game. I remember telling my mom as soon as he made that catch that Edmonds had just saved the game and turned things the Cards way.

I know, homer, blah blah...throw that out there all you want, but I fully believe Edmonds 2004 NLCS catch to be a better catch than Willie Mays catch (all things considered).

My Top Ten

10. Kevin Mitchell bare hander.

9. Jim Edmonds diving catch

8. Sandy Amoros Catch in the Corner 1955 World Series

7. Otis Nixon catch

6. Brooks Robinson dive and throw 1970 World Series

5. Bo Jackson catches a ball and climbs the wall

4. Ozzie Smith play in San Diego

3. Ron Swaboda's diving catch 1969 World Series

2. The Derek Jeter flip in the ALDS

1. Willie Mays 1954 World Series

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I've somehow NEVER seen the Angels catch of Edmonds...always miss it. If anyone has an online video clip of it, lemme know, because I haven't been able to find one.

But, that catch isn't even Edmonds best catch ever (though, again, Pat makes a good point that best doesn't have to equal web gem).

Edmonds best catch last year came in Game 7 of the 2004 NLCS. He was the hero in Game 6 hitting the walkoff to force Game 7. In Game 7 he made an amazing catch diving back and to the side across his body to rob the Astros of a big play and a couple of runs in the early innings. If Edmonds doesn't make that catch, the Cards are down and out, and I don't think they win that game. I remember telling my mom as soon as he made that catch that Edmonds had just saved the game and turned things the Cards way.

I know, homer, blah blah...throw that out there all you want, but I fully believe Edmonds 2004 NLCS catch to be a better catch than Willie Mays catch (all things considered).

Jim Edmonds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFE_OW6pZFI

Ozzie Smith (First play after the back flip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkbcoF6z2o

One people never mention (because it doesn't involve the Cardinals)... Devon White 1992 World Series -- 2 on nobody out and David Justice hits a long fly ball to deep centrefield... TRIPLE (double) PLAY!

ESPN actually had it as their #2 play of all time in 2001, funny how 5 years changes things

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1191205.html

s_white_i.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

One people never mention (because it doesn't involve the Cardinals)... Devon White 1992 World Series -- 2 on nobody out and David Justice hits a long fly ball to deep centrefield... TRIPLE (double) PLAY!

ESPN actually had it as their #2 play of all time in 2001, funny how 5 years changes things

s_white_i.jpg

That's an awesome play by Devon White. I also think that nobody never mentions this play, Chris, is because not many people think the Blue Jays exist down here which is sad because they've been getting better and have had good teams in the past, winning back to back World Series titles. Earlier this season when the AL East was close, YES acted like the Blue Jays weren't even there even though they were maybe 5/6 games behind Boston or New York at the time. But to me, the greatest Web Gem of all time is Willie Mays' amazing catch in the 1954 World Series.

YES acted like the Blue Jays weren't even there even though they were maybe 5/6 games behind Boston or New York at the time.

5/6? :P

We got to within 2 games on June 12... then it was a slow decline from there.

---

Chris Creamer

s_white_i.jpg

I had that down, but when I rearranged my list, I forgot to put it back on :cursing:

I just bought a hat from that era, along with a throwback Angels(my 6th Angels hat...still growing)

One people never mention (because it doesn't involve the Cardinals)...

You saying that that ONE (Ozzie's dive over Willie, Ozzie barehand was a Padre's highlight and Edmonds dive was a Angels) isn't deserving of top 10?

s_white_i.jpg

Well ESPN did noty sell the Jays too short check out #6 in their rankings

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

My top three are basically interchangable, to be honest. They were my top three from the start...I had a heck of a time figuring out exactly how it to put them.

- Ozzie Smith at number one is very simple. He's gonna make a nice diving grab, when the ball goes the complete opposite direction. Rather than using his glove, he BAREHANDS a hard ground ball and makes the play.

Now for the next two, I had to basically look at them over and over. You could probably call it a little bias...Edmonds is practically a god to me. I've grown up a die-hard Angels fan and outfielder, so guys like Edmonds and Erstad are my heros.

The dive is what made me lean towards Edmonds. If it were Mays in center, the dive wouldn't have been necessary...I'm pretty sure he was faster than Edmonds. Mays made an unbelievable play, no doubt. Edmonds made a similar play in mid-air. The other thing is, Mays didn't have to catch it 'Willie Mays' style(judging by the pics I saw...couldn't find a video for some reason), for the lack of a better term. He probably could've turned his hips, lifted his left arm, and caught the ball with his back to the wall, rather than the ball. That was my logic. It may not be necessarily correct or what you may think, but it's one guy's opinion.

Granted, it's a huge Edmonds fan's opinion, but nobody has to agree.

I just realized I had Mays at #4...problem fixed.

You saying that that ONE (Ozzie's dive over Willie, Ozzie barehand was a Padre's highlight and Edmonds dive was a Angels) isn't deserving of top 10?

Yes that's exactly what I said... :rolleyes: just poking fun at the cards fans again :P

---

Chris Creamer

Yes that's exactly what I said... :rolleyes: just poking fun at the cards fans again :P

Well stop it. You know we have no sense of humor. :P

My Top Ten

10. Kevin Mitchell bare hander.

9. Jim Edmonds diving catch

8. Sandy Amoros Catch in the Corner 1955 World Series

7. Otis Nixon catch

6. Brooks Robinson dive and throw 1970 World Series

5. Bo Jackson catches a ball and climbs the wall

4. Ozzie Smith play in San Diego

3. Ron Swaboda's diving catch 1969 World Series

2. The Derek Jeter flip in the ALDS

1. Willie Mays 1954 World Series

Now there is a man who knows his baseball.

That Brooks Robinson play is one of my all-time favorites.

Being a homer, I gotta find room for Kirby Puckett Game 6 in the 1991 World Series, but other than that, that's my list.

Nicely done NJTank, nicely done.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Can someone stop media outlets like ESPN and others from making top ten of all time list. The reason being is because they are all recently biased. In ESPN's list most of them occured after 1990, 2 of them were this season. What ESPN is saying out of the 100 plus years of American and National League baseball most of the top defensive plays happened within the last 15 years. Now Iunderstand why some of the early plays are left out becasue there was video then but there has been video of baseball since atleast the 1950's. The list is a joke.

It's not just ESPN it's all media outlets. Whenever you see a top list most of them are very recent. Every great game is immediatly declared the best ever. They don't put any thought into these and that's why they need to stop.

Archived