Cardinals Leave Sun Devil Stadium for ...

amare32

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stadium fails to live up to billing

Dan Bickley

The Arizona Republic

Dec. 17, 2006 12:00 AM

It's been a rough year for the new stadium...

There's not enough hours in the day to address what a complete utter fool the author of this story is.

The guy has a serious agenda with the Bidwills, and will look for any excuse he can to bash ANYTHING associated with the team.

The stadiums' grass has already been rated as the #1 field in the NFL. The field has been overworked lately - they played a number of games in a short time-span...even had the AZ state championships there. The field's looking a bit worn, but it should be fine by the time the Fiesta Bowl and the BCS Championship game gets played.

Sound? Yeah, the acoustics are weird in there. Some people say it sounds great, others can't understand a thing that the PA announcer says. Me - I couldn't understand much of what was said at the game I went to (Aug. 12 vs. Pittsburgh)...but, these are things that can be fixed.

Bickley (or DICKley as most Cardinals fans refer to him as) is just looking for more things to whine about.

For background on my opinion, what I saw of the game this Sunday against the Broncos was the most I've seen of the stadium this year.

The field looked awful. I don't care that there were multiple games in a short time -- grass should hold up and/or grow better than that.

It's where I sit.

Sound? Yeah, the acoustics are weird in there. Some people say it sounds great, others can't understand a thing that the PA announcer says. Me - I couldn't understand much of what was said at the game I went to (Aug. 12 vs. Pittsburgh)...but, these are things that can be fixed.

For comparison sake, when Lincoln Financial Field opened, there were some sections (including the one I work in) that couldn't make out anything the PA announcer said, or hear much of anything clearly, without echos or other interfearance. It got so bad that one game we passed out apology cards to all of the fans in these sections, and had to explain how a team of sound engineers was working on the issue. It took a while to finally get it right, but by the end of the second season, the sound is phenominal from 99.9% of the seats.

I would imagine this is common with new stadiums. Stadia(?) shouldn't really be judged until season 3, because there are just too many unexpected issues that arise in the first season to correct during a relatively short offseason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow, so now the University of Phoenix and Rice University have something in common - a football stadium but no football team.

Uhh.. Rice does have a football team. :therock: The Owls play in C-USA

Rice is playing in a bowl game this year!

Wow, so now the University of Phoenix and Rice University have something in common - a football stadium but no football team.

proof positive that there's just too many bowls around today.

proof positive that there's just too many bowls around today.

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking when I read that! :notworthy:

It's where I sit.

I saw back-to-back games last month at Sun Devil Stadium and U. of Phoenix Stadium (Nov. 18, 19). I agree that the field in Tempe looked better for the ASU game against UCLA than the Glendale field for the Cardinals vs. Detroit, but in no way did I think the NFL field was unplayable. Maybe a bit threadbare in spots but I didn't walk out of the place feeling the least bit disappointed. I was very impressed with the new stadium, inside and out.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Archived