Cardinals Leave Sun Devil Stadium for ...

amare32

Isn't that the online university?

Yup, it's also the alma mater of Shaq!

Yeah, well he got an MBA from them, but I wouldn't call an online graduate school one's "alma mater". Shaquille's alma mater is where he obtained his undergraduate degree (onstage) in 2000 (and where he spent a few undergraduate years in the late eighties/early nineties)--

LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

:P

Why not? You can have more than one alma mater.

Heck, you don't even have to earn a degree there for the term to apply.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't big on the whole "Pat Tillman Stadium" movement, but after this University of Phoenix deal, I totally wish they would have gone with it instead of grabbing the bucks. People are so quick to blast athletes for going after 10-15 extra million dollars instead of "doing the right thing," so how about blasting the Bidwells for going after the extra 20 million dollars instead of "doing the right thing." Shame on you Bidwell family!

The University of Phoenix is owned by a company called Apollo, or something, right? Apollo is the God of the Sun in Greek mythology, so having a stadium in the "valley of the sun" carry the name of the "god of the sun" seems perfectly reasonable to me (and infinitely better than UoP Stadium).

Can you imagine the promotions? Buy a season ticket, get an MBA! That's right, the first 5000 season ticket holders with Bachelors degrees will receive an official Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Phoenix, with your choice of concentration!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mosey, Shaq did graduate, I remember that he made a buffoon of himself at the graduation ceremony, saying something like LSU being Love Shaq University, and (m)uttering, "Can You Dig It!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It could have been worse you know...Atleast they didn't try to combine all sorts of name elements in one.

i.e. Arizona Cardinals Field at University of Phoenix Center in Glendale

or ACSUPCG for short

<_<

These naming rights are ridiculous. Do NFL teams really need the extra 20 mil to compete? Don't they have the richest TV deal in history? Just plain awful. Name the god damed thing after a local figure or landmark for god sakes!

These naming rights are ridiculous. Do NFL teams really need the extra 20 mil to compete? Don't they have the richest TV deal in history? Just plain awful. Name the god damed thing after a local figure or landmark for god sakes!

Not to defend these awful names, but television revenue is shared. Stadium money stays with the team.

So it's about the Cardinals getting money that the 49ers or Rams don't have. That's why they do this.

I don't like it, but I understand it.

Wow, so now the University of Phoenix and Rice University have something in common - a football stadium but no football team.

YH , that's you're lowest shot, ever

...keep going, you're on a roll

Nothing personal, of course; just so happens that Rice is the lowest ranked D1A team on the CFN 119 with a stadium bearing their name.

If Temple still played in a stadium named after the school, their name would have been there instead. Interesting how three of the lowest ranked D1A schools have owls for a mascot (FIU - or is it FAU? - is also in the bottom six).

Back to your regularly scheduled Bidwill bashing.

This is bad name worse than the usual naming rights deal because it's a school that isn't viewed in the most positive light by the public. Like gregjigga5 Apollo would have been better for the naming rights for this company.

I'm not in favor of Pat Tillman Stadium either, I'm not a fan of naming stadiums after former players. Personally I think they should have kept it Cardinals Stadium.

I think it's mostly embarassing. U of Phoenix is probably the largest for-profit university in the country and I don't know many that hold it in high esteem. It fills a need, for sure, but that doesn't make it a particularly good academic institution.

However, its online prescence is encouraging. I'm hoping for a repeat of the late-90's tech boom and their sponsorship of everything. Remember PSInet Stadium? I don't either...I hope the same happens with this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The purists want a traditional stadium name, that doesn't generate any money for the team. Fans want their teams to be successful, and $154.5 million certainly would help any payroll.

That damn college STILL calls me about signing up for classes, 5 years after I filled out some survey and have repeatedly told them no.

Oh well, U of Phoenix's football team could probably beat the Cards anyway, what with Kurt Warner throwing passes to the other team in the endzone, and coughing up the ball with a chance to win it. ^_^

Help me out here.

The University of Phoenix is trying to increase their national profile.

They do this by sponsoring something near the city of Phoenix.

Won't this make people associate the university more with the local area of Phoenix than nationally?

Dumb.

Ladies and getleman thats not logic thats Cardinals logic its the reason they have had 14 winning seasons since 1930 and lose 10 games every year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The purists want a traditional stadium name, that doesn't generate any money for the team. Fans want their teams to be successful, and $154.5 million certainly would help any payroll.

I can't believe they only got $154. I seem to remember Fedex paying way more than that to sponsor Fedex Field. Am I just making that up?

I would have liked to see Tostitos pay for the naming rights. Just for continuity's sake.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can't believe they only got $154. I seem to remember Fedex paying way more than that to sponsor Fedex Field. Am I just making that up?

Probably, but FedEx field is in a much larger market (in the D.C area), plus the Redskins tend to have more national games like Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Foot which brings more exposure.

How's this thought? College Football's National Championship Game this year will be played in a stadium named for an online college.

It's a good move on their part to take the money in exchange for the naming rights. The goal should be to resurrect some semblance of a winning team. If there was a strong tradition to protect, I might be against the stadium name. However, the team could really use the money and the name could be much, much worse.

It seems to be a lot of fuss over nothing.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

is the University of Phoenix in one single A?

Its online certifed Fly By Night as an offical Matchbook university with cracker Jack dimplomas.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived