Luongo's Alternate Equipment/Mask

Neon_Matrix

I found a few things odd about Luongo and last nights Canucks/Sharks game.

First: In this picture he is wearing his normal pads but has a blue/green blocker and catcher.

luongodown_b.jpg

Second: Later on he appears to be wearing blue/green pads to go along with the blocker and catcher. Also he has an alternate mask with the stick logo on the forhead and Johnny Canuck on the sides.

luongosit_b.jpg

I must say the mask looks UGLY. Its a great idea...but it just looks HORRIBLE with the giant 1 on the chin and the giant logo on the forhead. The pads don't look too good either, and I find it strange how he switched pads mid game. I wish I could have watched it so I could see what exactly went on, but it is very weird that he would have both sets and start with the non-matching set and then later switch. He would look better with the brown leather pads to make a retro look look...retro...not a coloured mess like he wroe.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Well on one hand I applaud him for going the distance to "complete" the look. It always looks odd when a team wears throwback uniforms that use a different scheme then what they currently wear, and the goalie's pads stand out. So props to Luongo for going all the way to make the look match. He's done this before, with Team Canada. For the 2006 Winter Olympics he wore red and black pads instead of the yellow, red, and blue ones he wore in Florida. So again, good for him.

The blue/green leg pads were probablly late getting to the rink, which would explain why he went with his regular set for the start of the game.

On the other hand, there is a reason why more goalies don't do this. As a goalie myself I can tell you it's a very long process to break in new pads, especially leg pads and the glove. Yes, you can get pads that are already broken in, but even this are very stiff, and need time to be trully broken in.

Personally I've never gotten new pads midway through a season, and if I did, I wouldn't wear them until the season was over.

Well on one hand I applaud him for going the distance to "complete" the look. It always looks odd when a team wears throwback uniforms that use a different scheme then what they currently wear, and the goalie's pads stand out. So props to Luongo for going all the way to make the look match. He's done this before, with Team Canada. For the 2006 Winter Olympics he wore red and black pads instead of the yellow, red, and blue ones he wore in Florida. So again, good for him.

The blue/green leg pads were probablly late getting to the rink, which would explain why he went with his regular set for the start of the game.

On the other hand, there is a reason why more goalies don't do this. As a goalie myself I can tell you it's a very long process to break in new pads, especially leg pads and the glove. Yes, you can get pads that are already broken in, but even this are very stiff, and need time to be trully broken in.

Personally I've never gotten new pads midway through a season, and if I did, I wouldn't wear them until the season was over.

Remember DiPietro wore 4 sets of pads last season...1 set in the pre-season, and 3 others during the season. I don't know how he could have broken all of those in or why he chose to wear so many pads during the season...but it was definatly very weird. I just think Luongo would look amazing with classic brown pads (like Harding did in Minnisota last season) and a more simplified mask.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I don't know how Luongo can do this. He must have been breaking them both in... but that doesn't explain why he switched midway through the game... or why the mask is so ugly :P

Last year when Roloson came to the Oilers, he got the new blocker and catcher, but stuck with his old pads. Then it turned out that he was practising with the new pads once in awhile, and having Ty Conklin break them in the rest of the time. That's why Conklin had that set on when he came in and fudged up game 1 of the finals.

he started wearing the green and blue pads but switched to his regular pads after the first period. i dont exactlly why he did that, but proboly superstion.

Thanks for that clairification. Doesn't seem like changing the pads helped the outcome of the game much. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I don't know how Luongo can do this. He must have been breaking them both in... but that doesn't explain why he switched midway through the game... or why the mask is so ugly :P

Last year when Roloson came to the Oilers, he got the new blocker and catcher, but stuck with his old pads. Then it turned out that he was practising with the new pads once in awhile, and having Ty Conklin break them in the rest of the time. That's why Conklin had that set on when he came in and fudged up game 1 of the finals.

i actaully like the new helmet i think it look cool with johny canucks on the side. and whatever happened to ty conklin, is he in the ahl now.

i actaully like the new helmet i think it look cool with johny canucks on the side. and whatever happened to ty conklin, is he in the ahl now.

Anything's better then the mess of a design on his current mask.

Ty Conklin signed with Columbus in the offseason. The Oilers obviously chose to stick with Markkanen as their backup, after he kept them in the finals all the way until the last game.

I can't imagine that any NHL goalie would have his backup break in his pads or that any backup would agree to it. Goalies are very particular about their equipment and it's setup. Even AHL goalies have 2 sets of their own pads in their locker at all times. Many netminders like to change at every intermission as the pads pick up water weight.

Ty Conklin signed with Columbus in the offseason. The Oilers obviously chose to stick with Markkanen as their backup, after he kept them in the finals all the way until the last game.

I saw Ty the other day, on the bench as the backup goaltender for your Syracuse Crunch.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived