My Red Sox should sign this man!

Swiss

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Red Sox end up not signing this guy, will they get that $38-$45 million back? And the other teams that bid who didn't get the top bid, do they get their money back as well?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

No team has actually paid. They just bid on the price they would pay if they won the right to negotiate. If this is indeed true about the Red Sox winning the bid then they would pay the Japanese team the amout in the bid and thus would be able to negotiate. I don't believe the Red Sox would get their money back if he doesn't sign.

But the teams that lost the bid aren't out money.

No team has actually paid. They just bid on the price they would pay if they won the right to negotiate. If this is indeed true about the Red Sox winning the bid then they would pay the Japanese team the amout in the bid and thus would be able to negotiate. I don't believe the Red Sox would get their money back if he doesn't sign.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. That was my biggest worry about this whole thing.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Actually part of that is incorrect. If the Red Sox are unable to work out a deal with Matsuzaka, they will indeed get their original bid back, and Matsuzaka will return to the Lions.

Oh, screw the Red Sox, then.

I would agree.

Screw the Sox, then. And I'm a Sox fan.

I'm sick of acting in a way to 'hurt the Yankees'... we'd be much better off if we did more to help ourselves. I can't see how anybody in the Red Sox front office sees this as an intelligent move. This would do huge damage to the Red Sox ability to to do business in the Asian Market and will make these teams reluctant to do business with the Red Sox.

Besides, I've also heard that if this is the case, the MLB may give the second highest bidder the rights to him.

IUe6Hvh.png

$50 million just to talk to him. Matsuzaka needs to win 25 games with an ERA under 1.50 now.

And I never want to hear about how they're the underdogs.

They'll make a great deal of that money back in the new market they just gained because of this.

IUe6Hvh.png

$51.1 million is pretty ridiculous. I understand the desire to gain the Japanese market...but man.

I'm not sure this guy is worth 51.1 over three years, and you know he's gonna get nearly that much in his actual contract.

I highly doubt the Sox did this just to stop the Yankees. It would hurt the Sox big time if they ever wanted to bid again, and while it may not be a concern of the Sox, if Boras can't pull off this deal, he won't be signing on with any more Japanese clients anytime soon. Seibu would be losing a LOT of money.

$51.1 million is pretty ridiculous. I understand the desire to gain the Japanese market...but man.

I'm not sure this guy is worth 51.1 over three years, and you know he's gonna get nearly that much in his actual contract.

I highly doubt the Sox did this just to stop the Yankees. It would hurt the Sox big time if they ever wanted to bid again, and while it may not be a concern of the Sox, if Boras can't pull off this deal, he won't be signing on with any more Japanese clients anytime soon. Seibu would be losing a LOT of money.

This deal has to get done. The revenue they'll pull from the Japanese and Asian markets will be huge, enough to cover the 51 mil. There's too much banking on the Sox to get this done. They HAVE to sign him. No questions asked.

$51 million is a crapload, but it's not as ridiculous for the Red Sox as it might seem. First, they needed a top-of-the-rotation starter to be competitive with the Yankees. Since the Sox are in luxury tax range, and the posting fee isn't taxed, this is half as expensive to them as spending $51 million on players alone. ESPN is saying the Sox are looking to do a 3-4 year deal for $8-9 mil per year with Matsuzaka, so averaging out the transfer fee (divided by 2 since it's nontaxable) over 4 years is only $14-16 mil per season - about the going rate for an ace pitcher. They sure couldn't get anybody remotely equal for that money in this year's pitching market.

In addition, this will open up the Asian market to the Sox, a market that is realistically split now only between the Yankees and Mariners. There's a good chance they will be able to make back a good chunk of the $51 mil between merchandise sales and TV rights fees, as most of Matsuzaka's starts will be televised in Japan.

Overall, this signing is emblematic of the ridiculous inequities in baseball, but from the Red Sox perspective it's a sound strategic move.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Scott Boras:

Boras said he's heard from Japanese sources that Matsui brings in $21 million per season for the Yankees in advertising and marketing, so he wasn't blown away by the $51.1 million bid.

Boston Herald:

"False," said Smith College professor Andrew Zimbalist, when asked if the Sox can recoup a lot of money it may spend on Matsuzaka through television contracts in Japan.

"The Red Sox don't get much of that," said Zimbalist of international television-deal revenues. Major League Baseball owns all international television rights to MLB games?and the revenue is shared among all teams, said Zimbalist.

The same applies to any MLB merchandise sold overseas?it's all shared among MLB teams.

Also in that second article:

Sports industry experts, including executives with the Seattle Mariners organization, warn that baseball teams and fans are off base if they think any Japanese star will make an organization tens of millions of dollars from television and merchandising deals in Japan.

Basically...they can make some money in advertising and sponsorships with Japanese Companies. Boras says its 20+ per year. Considering the following So Taguchi has, who is basically a bench player for the Cardinals, I believe it.

Its still seems rediculous. The guy has pitched 250 pitches in a game before (Ok it was HS). The Japanese are much harder on their starters than even Dusty Baker. The guy has more wear and tear on his arm that american pitchers of his age.

My prediction, Does well for 1 or 2 years, then falls off the face of the MLB world like every single other Japanese pitcher before him. Why? Check it:

http://vivaelbirdos.com/story/2006/11/8/132829/293

Besides the stats breakdown...I also found the fact that Japanese Baseballs are smaller and more tightly wound to be very interesting...

Alright, I wanted the Cubs to win the rights to this guy, but $51 million is out of controll. For a guy who is completely unproven is stupid. I don't care about the NPBL, or the WBC, tell me how he's done in a MLB season... Point is you can't... As far as who could the Sox get for $14-16 mil a year, how about Zito (okay, maybe a few bucks more, but at least he's proven himself in MLB, not a league where half the guys couldn't carry MLB utility players jocks...)?

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if this was done solely as a blacking move by the Sox, just so the Yankees couldn't get their hands on him...

Moose

Archived