NFL Thanksgiving

bterreson

did the Bucs ever wear orange pants? In clips I've only seen white jersey/white pants

The Bucs wore orange pants for a few years right before they switched to the new colors. In fact, due to the orange pants and the orange socks, some credit them for the unitard look.

From answers.com "In 1992, the Bucs introduced orange pants to be worn with the white jerseys. Prior to the team's season finale in 1995 against the Detroit Lions, lame-duck coach Sam Wyche suggested that the Bucs wear the orange pants with their orange jerseys, but the idea was vetoed by, among others, Pro Bowl linebacker Hardy Nickerson." http://www.answers.com/topic/tampa-bay-buccaneers

There, you would have to credit them for the monochrome (almost) too. Two bad looks. :D

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't change if you want that as your uniform.

That logic doesn't make sense. Would you prefer the Pistons to stay in teal, red, and black? I mean they changed from red, white, and blue, so why go back right?

That logic doesn't make sense. Would you prefer the Pistons to stay in teal, red, and black? I mean they changed from red, white, and blue, so why go back right?

No, I'm referring to, for example, teams/fans of the Charger powder blues and the MB Brewers. If those older days are so special, change back to that full time. That's more of what I meant to say. You know how it is when you're at work...not thinking/speaking clearly...and should be doing something else. :D

KISSwall09.jpg

did the Bucs ever wear orange pants? In clips I've only seen white jersey/white pants

The Bucs wore orange pants for a few years right before they switched to the new colors. In fact, due to the orange pants and the orange socks, some credit them for the unitard look.

From answers.com "In 1992, the Bucs introduced orange pants to be worn with the white jerseys. Prior to the team's season finale in 1995 against the Detroit Lions, lame-duck coach Sam Wyche suggested that the Bucs wear the orange pants with their orange jerseys, but the idea was vetoed by, among others, Pro Bowl linebacker Hardy Nickerson." http://www.answers.com/topic/tampa-bay-buccaneers

There, you would have to credit them for the monochrome (almost) too. Two bad looks. :D

I remember that. Nickerson went so far as to say he would not play in the game if they wore all orange.

rangersCBSig.gif

If Dallas is willing to wear a throwback they went winless while wearing, then I think Tampa should bust out the orange. At least they had a couple decent years in them.

As I said earlier...if it wasn't for ol' man Glazer (the team's owner), they probably would have had some made up to wear by now...but his ol' senile ass is the one who doesn't ever want those creamsicles to see the light of day again. He olds that hard-line stance even though several Buccaneer players have petitioned the hell outta him to allow them to wear them at least once, to honor the Buccaneers players of the past.

This ol' man Glazer bought the team in '95 or '96 (one of those two years), and in '97, out came the new look. I think it was then that anything in Buccaneer history that had to do with Bruce or the creamsicles, he pretty much stuffed into a bin and set on fire, never to be seen or smelled again. Talk about a serious disconnect with long-suffering Buccaneer fans--the ones who were fiercely loyal DURING THE 20 YEARS OF LOSING (save for '79 and '82, of course), who became attached to Bucco Bruce, the orange and red (which, oddly enough, was actually a DARKER ORANGE when the franchise was born in '75), and oh by the way, there's more than a few people who exist who thought those were some of the BEST uniforms in the NFL (it surely was one of my favorites--that's why I became a fan in the first place).

But oh well...we Buccaneer loyalists can only hope and hope, wish and yearn...

(And wouldn't you know it--with this post--on my beloved BUCCANEERS--I have at long last FINALLY REACHED THE 500 POST PLATEAU!!! :boogie: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No, I'm referring to, for example, teams/fans of the Charger powder blues and the MB Brewers. If those older days are so special, change back to that full time. That's more of what I meant to say. You know how it is when you're at work...not thinking/speaking clearly...and should be doing something else. :D

Well personally I don't like a throwback just because it's a throwback, or because of a team's glory days. I base all of my opinions regarding a uniform on a case-to-case basis, regardless of whether or not it's a throwback.

Here are a few examples:

SD Chargers powder blues- I never experienced the powder blue years, and my dad (who's the reason I'm a Chargers fan) didn't start to follow them until the Fouts-era royal and yellow set (which happen to be his favorite). I like the powder blues because I honestly think they look better then the current set. I think the colours go great together, and the vintage-style helmet has a charm to it. I know I should hate it, but I just think it goes perfectly with the rest of the uniform set. It has nothing to do with glory years or being a throwback, I just like the way they look, and apparently most Bolts fans agree. Watch a Chargers home game. Most fans wearing jerseys are wearing the powder blues.

The reason they haven't switched is because the owner introduced the navy (and also apparently hates yellow) and wants the team to carry on his "stamp."

Milwaukee Brewers- I hate these uniforms. I don't hate them because they're throwbacks, I hate them because they're bland, and the logo that's associated with them doesn't represent beer-making. Here's a case where I, who some would incorrectly assume I love retro for retro's sake, would be proven wrong. I hate these because I think they're sub-par design wise compared to the current set. There can be nice throwbacks, and there can be throwbacks that should stay in the closet. These are one of the latter. These should not be brought back full time, and it's a shame that the Brewers' ownership is considering that course of action.

Toronto Maple Leafs- I love their alternate/vintage sweater. Again, like the Chargers, this has nothing to do with liking throwbacks. I never lived during the Leafs' glory years when they wore that uniform. I just think they look better, and suite an old school team like the Leafs better then what they currently have. The 70's style leaf, the TML logo, and the silver trim all look unnecessary on a team that was founded the NHL's first season. The Leafs and Habs are the league's two oldest teams and should wear simple, classic uniforms. The Habs nailed it, the Leafs haven't.

Also, the vintage leaf just looks better. The current one reeks of the 70's design-wise, and just seems cold and lacking character. The vintage one has sort of a timeless quality to it.

I will admit that past eras do play a part in my preference for the vintage Leaf though. The current leaf is associated with the club's worst seasons. Despite the fact that they made the playoffs in the recent past with that logo, the lack of a Cup strengthens that logo's image of failure. So if you get rid of that, you're left with either the '67 leaf (the Canada leaf) or the vintage leaf. Personally both would be fine, but the striping on the '67 uniforms is being used by Phoenix, and IMO the vintage leaf just looks better then the '67 leaf.

Detroit Lions-like the Brewers, I think these are too plain, and shouldn't be brought back full time. My dislike has nothing to do with the fact that they're throwbacks. I just don't like the way they look. It's the same reasoning I don't like the current Lions gear. The difference between these and the Brewers is the fact that these throwbacks were only worn once a year. That's ok. I have no problem with throwbacks, even bland/ugly ones, if they're only worn once a season for a certain occasion, which brings me to the next point....

NFL throwbacks on Thanksgiving.

You asked what the reasoning behind it was. Well I'll tell you: to make the games that much more special. It gave the fans something new (in terms of what the team currently wore) and it gave the whole NFL Thanksgiving experience a certain "feel." Fans of teams would look forward to seeing their teams play on Thanksgiving partly so they could see their teams' throwback uniforms for one game.

True, some throwbacks shouldn't be brought back, but for one game, for one event, both teams in throwbacks looks pretty cool. No harm in one game a year.

(which, oddly enough, was actually a DARKER ORANGE when the franchise was born in '75),

Actually, the orange was a LIGHTER shade of orange in 1976 than even in 1977. The Buccaneers wore their orange jerseys at home in the pre-season that year and switched to white jerseys with orange numbers and white pants during the 76 campaign. I always liked that light shade of orange and as a kid, I wrote the team to see why they did not wear the orange jerseys. They said that fans sitting high in the stands could not read the numbers clearly on the orange so they switched to the white jerseys. They said they "redesigned" the orange jerseys for the next year (1977). A slightly darker light orange. However, in 1977 they continued to wear their white jerseys at home but the jerseys had red numbers outlined in orange.

I remember that. Nickerson went so far as to say he would not play in the game if they wore all orange.

Now THAT's uni dedication. Get Hardy on these boards!

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

(which, oddly enough, was actually a DARKER ORANGE when the franchise was born in '75),

Actually, the orange was a LIGHTER shade of orange in 1976 than even in 1977. The Buccaneers wore their orange jerseys at home in the pre-season that year and switched to white jerseys with orange numbers and white pants during the 76 campaign. I always liked that light shade of orange and as a kid, I wrote the team to see why they did not wear the orange jerseys. They said that fans sitting high in the stands could not read the numbers clearly on the orange so they switched to the white jerseys. They said they "redesigned" the orange jerseys for the next year (1977). A slightly darker light orange. However, in 1977 they continued to wear their white jerseys at home but the jerseys had red numbers outlined in orange.

I know the Buccs wore white at home in '76, but I thought they went to the orange jersey at home in '77 because I thought I saw a pic of them hosting the Cardinals and wearing orange.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I know the Buccs wore white at home in '76, but I thought they went to the orange jersey at home in '77 because I thought I saw a pic of them hosting the Cardinals and wearing orange.

I better clear this up, cuz I see I got some folks confused...

the DARKER orange I referred to originally was the TRIM color that eventually morphed into red. Back when the franchise was born, John McKay (the team's first head coach, plucked from USC) wanted the team to wear orange (orange, of course, being one of Florida's state colors), but for some reason, he wanted it trimmed in a DARKER orange. (Maybe to avoid looking too much Like the Tennessee Volunteers? That part never did get cleared up.) I learned this from watching a really old NFL Films clip some time ago. So yes--originally the team's colors were orange and, uh, orange. That all changed the next year, in '77, to the orange and red we all became so familiar with up until the pewter revolution of '97.

Hope that clears up any confusion...as well as potentially answering any question as to how the team wound up with orange and red as their team colors.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

If the fans had any say in it, they would. In both cases.

And in both cases, management is standing in the way. In the case of the Chargers, it's a cranky owner with little to show for his reign except a pattern of poor management, a terrible record and "his" uniforms. No wonder he's clinging on to them so desperately.... :D

In the case of the Brewers, the previous owner stubbornly resisted the throwbacks because they weren't "hers." She had the uniforms redesigned (twice) and she was determined to show that the team wasn't her father's anymore. The new owner is very deliberative, not prone to making capricious changes until he has all the facts. That is why, I believe, he's making this half-step, to test the waters for a couple seasons.

So yes--originally the team's colors were orange and, uh, orange

Sorry you are wrong on this one-----the teams orginal colors were Florida Orange (very light orange), white, and RED trim. They were never two shades of orange. They did wear their orange jerseys in their last home game against the St. Louis Cardinals for their 2nd win in team history in 1977 following their 1st win at the Saints a week earlier.......................

So yes--originally the team's colors were orange and, uh, orange

Sorry you are wrong on this one-----the teams orginal colors were Florida Orange (very light orange), white, and RED trim. They were never two shades of orange. They did wear their orange jerseys in their last home game against the St. Louis Cardinals for their 2nd win in team history in 1977 following their 1st win at the Saints a week earlier.......................

If only I could show you that video I have from back in '76 when that was mentioned...(of course, I gotta FIND the bastard first...it's somehere in a box full of stuff...) It didn't sound right to me either when I heard it the first time, so I had to rewind it and play it again...one of those things you only run across once in a great while...

That "two orange" thing didn't go over too well, as one could tell, hence the red. But you ARE right about the Florida Orange thing--which, as we both know, I already knew about.

(And is it just me or does anyone find it a tadbit odd that a member with the username of the Buccaneers' expansion brethren is so deep into this topic along with us Buc loyalists?? (That's no knock on you seahawk9--I just happened to look up and notice that. Thought it was kinda funny...)

Now I REALLY wish I was back home...

Toronto Maple Leafs- I love their alternate/vintage sweater. Again, like the Chargers, this has nothing to do with liking throwbacks. I never lived during the Leafs' glory years when they wore that uniform. I just think they look better, and suite an old school team like the Leafs better then what they currently have.

Actually, the Leafs don't wear their "classic" logos now as thirds. To me, the classics are the one worn throughout the 50's and 60's up to the 1964 playoffs (this is the blue version):

frank1.gif

There are rumours that that exact logo was owned by the late Carl Brewer, who vowed never to give it up (although that may be a tall tale). Anyway, this is the blue version of what they're wearing now as thirds:

frank2.jpg

Detroit Lions-like the Brewers, I think these are too plain, and shouldn't be brought back full time. My dislike has nothing to do with the fact that they're throwbacks. I just don't like the way they look. It's the same reasoning I don't like the current Lions gear.

Just curious. What (if any) version of Lions uniforms over the years do you prefer?

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

The 1976 Buccaneers NEVER took the field with the two shades of orange as mentioned above. They may have "CONSIDERED" the two oranges before the 76 year in their uniform concepts but it was Florida Orange, white and RED trim they donned the first year. Actually, the Bucs original primary color choice was "pale green" but the NFL discarded it because was said to be too similiar to the Dolphins colors. Funny how times change as today the Jaguars have the teal green color. On another note, after the Bucs came out with the new Buccaneer Red, Pewter, black and white, suddenly everyone made fun of the old light orange colors. No one seems to make fun of the University of Tenn which sports the same light orange........................................

Archived