IOC considering new sports for 2010 Winter Games

officeglenn

From TSN.ca:

Likely to be approved for inclusion at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver is skicross, a freestyle event similar to snowboard cross, which debuted at the Turin Games 10 months ago and drew good crowds.

Skicross involves groups of skiers racing each other to the bottom of a course featuring jumps, rollers, banks and other manmade and natural terrain features. The competition is part of the International Ski Federation's World Cup freestyle circuit, which also includes the Olympic events of aerials and moguls.

Among other events up for consideration are women's ski jumping, a team event in alpine skiing, individual curling and team luge. However, the prospects of any of those being approved appear slim.

Ski jumping is the only sport in the Winter Olympics in which women don't participate. While the IOC is eager to have gender equity in all sports, officials say women's jumping hasn't yet been fully established, noting that the first world championships in the event aren't scheduled until 2009.

Canada's women ski jumpers sent a letter to Vancouver organizers on Nov. 20, urging them to "embrace this opportunity to remove the final barrier to equal participation by women at the Vancouver Olympics."

OK, the skicross and women's ski jumping I'm all for. But the team alpine, the team luge, and individual curling baffle me. I don't even know how you would do these events, especially the curling. The team is kind of integral to the whole concept of curling.

To me this is absoulte crap. I'm on board for skier-x and womens ski jumping, but they are reaching really far for team alpine, the team luge, and individual curling. For those who don't know I coach with the Alberta halfpipe ski team (which is the defacto national team) and to me the IOC is messing up by not adding that event for 2010. Skiing halfpipe was practically created at Whistler, and it's been the hub for the progression of the sport. Snowboard halfpipe is one of the highest rated events in the Olympics and they seem to be missing the boat here. But I guess it makes sense since the IOC is generally run by the prehistoric european way of thinking in terms of "extreme/action" sports.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

Apart from skiX and jumping for the chickybabes, they are bordering on ridiculousness. But if SkiX is anything like SnowboardX then i'm gonna see something great at the next Olympics apart from our one or two medals. Yeh Beggs-Smith for back-to-back Golds!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Snowmobile racing

Adversarial Biathlon: Skiers are released from individual stations, and must get to the finish time in the fastest time. Any competitor they see along the way, they can feel free to dispatch with their rifle. After all, that's what biathlon originated from... :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Snowmobile racing

Adversarial Biathlon: Skiers are released from individual stations, and must get to the finish time in the fastest time. Any competitor they see along the way, they can feel free to dispatch with their rifle. After all, that's what biathlon originated from... :)

Hey you might be on to something. Replace the .22 with a paint ball rifle and you have a winner.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Snowmobile racing

Sorry, with Borat in ya avatar, I just can't take you seriously. Makes me laugh every time.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Bring back Speed Skiing!!!

Speed_01.jpg

I would be all for that, provided their uniform was a hard-plastic or fibreglass shell that they actually had to get into while it was molded in that position.

Also, airbags.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I agree with the poster above, make basketball apart of the winter olympics. James Naismith from Almonte Ontario made this game so Football and Lacrosse players (you can tell he was from Ontario pre-maple leaf BS) can play in the winter.

It makes sense... who cares if there isn't any ice involved. What makes it more of summer sport than a winter sport?

Considering the Olympics get top basketball players to play I doubt they will move it from the summer. Let's remember the NHL is pulling out of the Olympics after 2010, I doubt David Stern is a dumb as Gary Bettman and would make the same mistake if they moved basketball to the winter.

It makes sense... who cares if there isn't any ice involved. What makes it more of summer sport than a winter sport?

A Winter Olympic sport is defined as requiring snow or ice.

Just because it's indoors doesn't make it a winter sport. Should volleyball and gymnastics be Winter Olympic sports? Fencing? Table tennis? Squash? Bowling?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived