Lamar Hunt Dead at 74

NJTank

He was one of the biggest architects of today's NFL. Condolences to his family and RIP.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

one of football's great architects...this is a surprise. Mr. Hunt's had a big hand in making pro football what it is today. My condolences to the Hunt family :(

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Lamar Hunt was a great sportsman, and in those regards, he did a lot of good. The sports world will miss him greatly.

Off the field, however, his legacy is open to debate. I'll bet many of you didn't know he was part of a group that gave over $1 billion in the late 70s to help "win the country for Christ." Basically, he funded the people who said they represented the "moral majority" and spawned Christian Conservatism which dominated the 80s and most of this decade.

As a fan of sports, I greatly appreciate what he did for football and soccer in this country. As a non-Christian liberal, I wish he would have kept his money in his pocket.

Sad day and year in Kansas City Sports.

First we lose Buck O'Neil. Now we lose the biggest champion for professional football ever. Hunt certainly was important to Kansas City. Not only in football, but soccer as well.

Lamar was known as being a regular guy. He would let fans approach him and let them express thier feelings about his teams. I've heard he never flew first class and didn't flawnt what he had.

A great pioneer of football that will be missed here in the KC area.

RIP Mr. Hunt, say hi to Buck for us. We love you both.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hunt on a few different occasions back in the late 80's and early 90's thanks to a connection the owner of the radio station I worked at had within the NFL. To his surprise, my conversation with him focused more on my curiosity with the founding of the AFL than the modern-day Kansas City Chiefs, and a group of four of us were privileged to sit in rapt attention for a good 20 minutes while he regaled us with stories of the league's formation and early years.

This guy was a true maverick in several senses of the word, despite coming from a family with more money than most could possibly fathom. Denied an NFL expansion team and after an attempt to buy the then-Chicago Cardinals, Mr. Hunt essentially said, "Screw it. I'll start my own damned league," then did so - and ultimately contributed to professional football as a whole at levels that even still aren't completely understood.

He also was one of the nicest, most introverted people you'd be likely to meet - quiet and shy, but one of those guys who you saw in a room and thought, "Here's the guy who gets things done." I'm saddened that he's gone, and pro football fans everywhere should have a moment of silence this Sunday in his honor - for without him, the pros wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today.

nav-logo.png

I agree about the moment of silence

I also think both teams should wear a decal on their helmets like they did when Rozelle died in the Super Bowl, after all it was Hunt that gave the game it's name.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

:cry: truly a sad day for the football community and the Chiefs nation. He will be missed, and remembered as one of the great minds and visionaries of football. Great man, great legacy.

Anyone know if the Chiefs will be wearing a commemorative patch on Sunday Night? Some Chiefs fans are even suggesting we should pull a Bears and put it on the jersey permanently.

Anyone know if the Chiefs will be wearing a commemorative patch on Sunday Night? Some Chiefs fans are even suggesting we should pull a Bears and put it on the jersey permanently.

It would be well deserved.

Every AFC team should have a memorium helmet decal, few individuals had as great an impact on an entire sports league as he he.

If you're going to limit it to one conference you should just limit it to those AFC teams that made up the old AFL. If those teams all wore a decal or patch it would really be special.

Every AFC team should have a memorium helmet decal, few individuals had as great an impact on an entire sports league as he he.

Hunt's passing is sad but I would not want to see the Steelers, Browns or Colts wear any decal or patch if it's just for the AFC since they where not AFL teams, let the old AFL teams wear one along with Jacksonville and Houston.

Archived