AFL/ESPN Partnership

roxfan00

Some of the more vocal longtime Arena fans are viewing the partial acquisition by ESPN as a precursor to the death of the independent AFL, and a morphing into "NFL Indoor." Between the recent rule change allowing unlimited substitution, and John Elway's comments that the Arena game needs to become more like the NFL so it can be "more watchable," I can't say I blame them for raising a fuss.

Listen, if I wanted to see NFL football year-round, I would. And with the league having its own network and the Europe league in the spring, Lord knows I could. But I don't watch the AFL to see NFL games on a half-size field. I watch the AFL for its unique brand of football, a wide open game bordering on human pinball. The NFL and ESPN would be wise not to mess with that.

the Ironman's gone? what idiot thought that was a good idea? oh, wait, you mentioned him <_< if I want NFL football in the spring, I'll play Madden.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

:cursing: Is it me or does it seem like ESPN shows about every sport. :mad: I hate this damn channel. :censored:

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

WTF, man? So ESPN should NOT be showing AFL instead of poker, darts, and more talking heads screaming at each other. Ridiculous. I applaud this move, but I have to realize that at the CCSLC, ESPN is the scourge of the Earth and can do no right.

ESPN shouldn't be showing the AFL!!!11eleven

ESPN is showing this team too damn much!!!!11eleven

ESPN isn't showing this team enough!!!!11eleven

ESPN doesn't show hockey, so :censored: ESPN!!!!11eleven

ESPN shouldn't show darts instead of real sports!!!!11eleven

ESPN shows too much poker!!!!11eleven

ESPN is ruining sports!!!!11eleven

Versus is better than ESPN because Versus has HOCKEY!!!!11eleven

Y'all treat ESPN like the NBA of sports leagues. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

WTF, man? So ESPN should NOT be showing AFL instead of poker, darts, and more talking heads screaming at each other. Ridiculous. I applaud this move, but I have to realize that at the CCSLC, ESPN is the scourge of the Earth and can do no right.

ESPN shouldn't be showing the AFL!!!11eleven

ESPN is showing this team too damn much!!!!11eleven

ESPN isn't showing this team enough!!!!11eleven

ESPN doesn't show hockey, so :censored: ESPN!!!!11eleven

ESPN shouldn't show darts instead of real sports!!!!11eleven

ESPN shows too much poker!!!!11eleven

ESPN is ruining sports!!!!11eleven

Versus is better than ESPN because Versus has HOCKEY!!!!11eleven

Y'all treat ESPN like the NBA of sports leagues. :P

Well, I was merely mentioning that there's a billion Philadelphia games and one Georgia game. It's not like there's a Division 1 AFL with Philly and a D-2 with Georgia or something.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Dangit...I thought this was Aussie Rules AFL....

Hah... ESPN show a real sport?

I wish they'd show Aussie Rules too. Or Rugby. Or SOMETHING good.

But no, Arena freakin' Football gets more attention over long established and globally popular leagues/sports just because it's American.

Well, other teams are getting the shaft this year, too...

San Jose (gee, they've only been wildly popular, successful, and stable since 1995... yeah, we don't want that, give us more Colorado!)

Las Vegas (fading fast, I can feel it)

Grand Rapids (the league wants to get rid of this franchise so badly, it's shameful)

Austin (last year's playoff surprise? Bah! Why do that, when we can broadcast more of the Dallas almost-Cowboys!)

Plus, I don't care what their record was last year, having the Arizona Rattlers on only once all season is a freakin' joke. And even though Chicago won it all last year, and I'm a Rush fan, 5 weeks is overkill at its finest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The only thing I can think of is that 1st Mariner isn't the most up-to-date facility. Not that I think the AFL is in any position to choose shiny, new facilities over a built-in fan base that would come with a city like Baltimore... but this is the same league that folded one of it's most popular teams in history (Milwaukee) rather than let them play at an older arena for a couple of seasons.

Thank you for saving me some typing. I'm sure 1st Mariner has a lot to do with it, assuming there was interest otherwise. Also, as much as it pains me to say, Baltimore has not had a great recent track record in supporting minor league or minor sports (indoor lacrosse, hockey, IBL basketball, local college basketball), indoor soccer being the possible exception.

BaltimoreFan, where did you read about an Arena team (non-AFL) in Baltimore? I've never heard a single word about anything like that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

BaltimoreFan, where did you read about an Arena team (non-AFL) in Baltimore? I've never heard a single word about anything like that.

Well, I remember hearing about a team in a local paper (Cheasapeak Tide). So I did some research in Wikipedia for other arena leagues and came across the AIFA. The team is called the Baltimore Blackbirds and apparently they are playing at the 1st Mariner Arena (but there's no mention of them on the arena's website). For some reason, they are only playing a limited road schedule (only 2 home games) and then they getting a full schedule next season. Apparently they replaced another team, so for some reason the league doesn't want to give them a full schedule. Technically this league is new, but most of the teams are from the poorly run AIFL. So, I'm not so sure how this "new" league will do. But apparently the Blackbirds were orginally going to play in the EIFL, so I'm guessing the ownership thought this league would be better.

Anyway, here is their website: http://www.baltimoreblackbirdsfootball.com/

I hadn't heard anything about this team either (in fact I would have never found out if not for this thread). But the website looks like it went up on Tuesday. Maybe there will be some news about it soon (or at least an ad in The Sun for tickets when the season starts).

Well, I remember hearing about a team in a local paper (Cheasapeak Tide). So I did some research in Wikipedia for other arena leagues and came across the AIFA. The team is called the Baltimore Blackbirds and apparently they are playing at the 1st Mariner Arena (but there's no mention of them on the arena's website). For some reason, they are only playing a limited road schedule (only 2 home games) and then they getting a full schedule next season. Apparently they replaced another team, so for some reason the league doesn't want to give them a full schedule. Technically this league is new, but most of the teams are from the poorly run AIFL. So, I'm not so sure how this "new" league will do. But apparently the Blackbirds were orginally going to play in the EIFL, so I'm guessing the ownership thought this league would be better.

Anyway, here is their website: http://www.baltimoreblackbirdsfootball.com/

I hadn't heard anything about this team either (in fact I would have never found out if not for this thread). But the website looks like it went up on Tuesday. Maybe there will be some news about it soon (or at least an ad in The Sun for tickets when the season starts).

Thanks.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

But no, Arena freakin' Football gets more attention over long established and globally popular leagues/sports just because it's American.

*Completely Wild Stab in the Dark*

Perhaps because ESPN is an American-based Sports Network? :unsure:

Though if you want to get your panties in a knot about world-wide popular sports not being on ESPN (Knutsen), then you'd better get on the step asking why the Ashes aren't on here in the States, much less the World Cup in March being held in that far away place that is the Caribbean... <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived