LA NFL franchise

random_ax

Awhile back, I mentioned that I had seen somewhere that the fanbase of LA had voted (maybe it wasn't official) on different names for the then-proposed NFL expansiom team that Los Angeles was trying to land. My LA friends said that the winner was the Condors...either LA Condors or California Condors (an actual name for the species of condor in the California area). Now, I still don't know the origin of that poll but I think CONDORS iis the best name for the franchise...if and when they ever get one.

http://www.sportslogos.net.com/~asgsport/images/Chicago_Condors.gif

The minor league CLEVELAND CONDORS are using a modifed (not much) version of the logo for their team. I think that the Condor logo could be adapted to be a cool NFL logo...that baby would look great on a black helmet and the condor would be atop a football rather than the basketball.

I mean, a condor is the LARGEST BIRD OF PREY in the world, it's indigenous to California, the colors (crimson, silver and black) would be great and well, anyone have any better suggestions?

If you know anything about the NFL, they like to go with names that can actually have a pic instead of a name (Giants, Jets) or letter (Bears, Pack) whenever possible in this modern age of graphic design. While the NBA and MLB can have a few names that aren't exactly macho and tough....very few NFL names are that way (Saints and Cardinals not included...well, a cardinal is tough if you're a thistle seed). So, any name that is chosen needs to be a bird-of-prey (and they are all pretty much taken) or jungle cat (ditto) or a warrior or tough profession associated with the area (no, not Stuntmen) and Condors is the best name as far as I'm concerned and the look of that logo really works for me....

Of course, i think that the Bills will leave Buffalo one of these years and you know they won't be the LA Bills...actually, I've always thought they should've been the Buffalo Bisons anyway.

Your thoughts...... about the Condor logo...and what you would pick for a name if it were up to YOU????

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the coolest name for an LA NFL team would be...

The Los Angeles Lizards

It rolls off the tounge (L A Lizards), lends itself to a cool logo and pretty unique color scheme (green, yellow, and red), and kinda lends itself to the legacy of The Doors, one of the coolest and most famous rock bands to come out of the L.A. area.

Here are some uniforms I whipped up...

"Home" Uniforms:

home01.jpg

home02.jpg

"Road" Uniforms:

road01.jpg

road02.jpg

"Alternate" Uniform:

alt01.jpg

The NFL has enough birds to begin with, don't they?

There is a pro Lacrosse team.. The Long Island Lizards....

http://longislandlizards.com.ismmedia.com/...1.jpeg.300.jpeg

Somehow I don't see that as having the same potential as Condors.

It's a great name, but the logo would be hard to do because this:

topatopa.jpg

Is one ugly-ass bird.

I think the logo from the old Chicago Condors does make the Condor alittle more majestic than your photo though, wouldn't you say?

The NFL has enough birds to begin with, don't they?

Well, let's see....in pro sports...there's:

NHL

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

ATLANTA THRASHERS

ANAHEIM DUCKS

MLB

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

ST LOUIS CARDINALS

NFL

ATALNTA FALCONS

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

BALTIMORE RAVENS

ARIZONA CARDINALS

NBA

ATLANTA HAWKS

But if you name NFL teams, they feature predatory animals mostly or rugged occupations or valiant warriors.... so, most of your top predators have been taken,,,Bears, Wolves,Lions, Jaguars, Panthers, and your hooved animals like Bison, Broncos, Colt, Bucks are taken.......

You have the Scorpions (the name that I always wished Arizona had chosen before the Cardinals relocated) but I don't see LA Scorpions being a better fit than Condors. Hornets and Yellow Jackets and Killer Bees?

Anyone got a better name than Condors for an LA franchise? The Orcas? C'mon, people.

topatopa.jpg

Is one ugly-ass bird.

Worst. Unibrow. Ever.

By the way, you DID see the Chicago Condor logo, right?

Personally, I think the best name for an LA team would be the Dons, taking a cue from the old AAFC team.

Heck, they may even be able to take a page from the Browns re-introduction of Brownie and get some good ol' retro-love going:

071byp4.jpg

mndons47d15ml1.gif

...I can certainly envision a modern uni set based on these.

Of course, i think that the Bills will leave Buffalo one of these years and you know they won't be the LA Bills...actually, I've always thought they should've been the Buffalo Bisons anyway.

I knew when I saw this topic title that the team suggested to move would be the Bills. Personally, I think the Buffalo Bisons name has been ridden into the ground enough (International League, American Hockey League). So, by extension, it kind of sounds minor league.

/thread hijack over

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Personally, I think the best name for an LA team would be the Dons, taking a cue from the old AAFC team.

Heck, they may even be able to take a page from the Browns re-introduction of Brownie and get some good ol' retro-love going:

071byp4.jpg

mndons47d15ml1.gif

Are you serious?????

No way would a pro football team in the 21st centruy efver name a team the LA Dons.

I knew when I saw this topic title that the team suggested to move would be the Bills. Personally, I think the Buffalo Bisons name has been ridden into the ground enough (International League, American Hockey League). So, by extension, it kind of sounds minor league.

/thread hijack over

You do know that the Buffalo Bills were actually called the Bisons before they were the Bills, right?

topatopa.jpg

Is one ugly-ass bird.

Worst. Unibrow. Ever.

It's totally okay, we're talking about LA here, if fans start to hate the logo, we're only a stone throws away from plastic surgeons. Change that logo right up.

071byp4.jpg

mndons47d15ml1.gif

Are you serious?????

No way would a pro football team in the 21st centruy efver name a team the LA Dons.

/thread hijack over

You do know that the Buffalo Bills were actually called the Bisons before they were the Bills, right?

Yes, in the AAFC. But the most recent usages of that name have been in a minor league context, so that was what I was getting at.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Archived