LA NFL franchise

random_ax

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks likely that LA will get a relocated franchise, and not an expansion team. If that is what happens, it is unlikely that they get a new name.

The most likely teams to move: Chargers, Bills, Colts, Saints, Raiders, Vikings.

The only one where a name change seems mandatory is the Bills.

The Chargers, Colts and Raiders would almost certainly not change names.

The Vikings and Saints could go either way. Minnesota may get a Browns deal, but New Orleans, which

would very likely never get an NFL team again (due to shrinkage of market after Katrina), could lose the Saints name.

So, most likely you are looking at LA Chargers or LA Raiders, etc.

But, here is what I would do:

1. EXPAND BY 2 TEAMS: 1 in LA and 1 in Anaheim. That's right, give them 2 teams.

2. Put Anaheim franchise in AFC West.

3. Put LA franchise in NFC West, and move the Rams to the NFC North.

So, here are my ideas:

Los Angeles Diablos

colors: Green, Red, Black

Logo: Similar to SF Demons of XFL or a pitchfork motif.

California Surf(Anaheim)

colors: Teal, Navy, Yellow (not gold)

Logo: A navy/teal wave with whitecap swooping full helmet, like the Michigan Panthers logo did.

THE SURF???? That sounds like a soccer team or AAA baseball...the NFL does not do Singular namea and never will!!!!!!

It looks likely that LA will get a relocated franchise, and not an expansion team. If that is what happens, it is unlikely that they get a new name.

The most likely teams to move: Chargers, Bills, Colts, Saints, Raiders, Vikings.

The only one where a name change seems mandatory is the Bills.

The Chargers, Colts and Raiders would almost certainly not change names.

The Vikings and Saints could go either way. Minnesota may get a Browns deal, but New Orleans, which

would very likely never get an NFL team again (due to shrinkage of market after Katrina), could lose the Saints name.

So, most likely you are looking at LA Chargers or LA Raiders, etc.

But, here is what I would do:

1. EXPAND BY 2 TEAMS: 1 in LA and 1 in Anaheim. That's right, give them 2 teams.

2. Put Anaheim franchise in AFC West.

3. Put LA franchise in NFC West, and move the Rams to the NFC North.

So, here are my ideas:

Los Angeles Diablos

colors: Green, Red, Black

Logo: Similar to SF Demons of XFL or a pitchfork motif.

California Surf(Anaheim)

colors: Teal, Navy, Yellow (not gold)

Logo: A navy/teal wave with whitecap swooping full helmet, like the Michigan Panthers logo did.

THE SURF???? That sounds like a soccer team or AAA baseball...the NFL does not do Singular namea and never will!!!!!!

Why would the colts move??? They're already building a new indoor stadium similar to Ford Field

What about the Los Angeles Cougars? I would guess that on the West Coast people are mellow enough to not care about that whole Pac-10 WSU conflict. Either that or the Los Angeles Knights (statute of limitations on "Any Given Sunday" MUST have run out).

My vote is for two teams: The L.A. Cougars/Knights and the Las Vegas Jacks.

Move the Jacksonville Jaguars to LA...The Los Angeles Leopards

Nice. How a dump like Jacksonville got an NFL franchise is one of the mysteries of our time. Ton of greasy palms after that deal.

St Louis screwed their Expansion bid up so bad that Jacksonville won by default.

I have stated for the last three years, I think the Chargers would be the team to move. It was one of the few that wouldn't collectively destroy the current NFL Divisional alignment, and the Chargers base their headquarters in Carson anyhow, so it made sense.

However, in recent years, the Charger attendance has improved, making it difficult for the move to happen.

I can't see the Colts, Bills or Vikings leaving their respective markets, and Al Davis still has bad history with the City of LA, and vice versa.

The Saints are an interesting proposition.. I think they were on a one way ticket out of town before Katrina hit, and I actually think (as sick as this sounds), the hurricane may have saved New Orleans chances at keeping the Saints, at least temporarily. All said and done, I think Benson wants to move the Saints, but can't now with the aura of the city's rebirth fresh in everyone's mind.

I think right now, the best chance to move is the Jaguars. They have poor attendance, play in a remodeled college stadium (they could get the same thing in LA, with something to strive for at least, and more money) and have an owner (Weaver) who doesn't seem all that committed to the city of Jacksonville. Calling it is what it is, Jacksonville at best seems to be a college town, where the Jaguars will be second to the Gators and never be a big draw.

As someone else here mentioned, the only reason the city got the team to begin with is because St. Louis officials horribly dropped the ball.

Nickname wise, I like Condors, but only if the name California is the beginning of the name. I think LA's going to want to have their name slapped on the front of it, and I don't think LA Condors has the same ring to it.

I'm not one to throw names out often, but I like the name LA Breakers or Los Angeles Bulldogs, although I think the Browns own rights to the name Bulldogs.

Wow, this is the longest post I've ever made here LOL.

The Colts are already getting a new stadium, right?

For a long time, I thought it was the Saints that were moving to LA, but now with the rebuilding of New Orleans, that move won't happen.

The Chargers are still contemplating a new stadium within San Diego County, and might get one if they win the Super Bowl.

The Vikings have been trying to get a new stadium built too, but their most recent proposal with Anoka County fell apart as well, and now they're lobbying the state for a retractable roof to replace the Metrodome.

I guess that leaves the Jaguars.

I think right now, the best chance to move is the Jaguars. They have poor attendance, play in a remodeled college stadium (they could get the same thing in LA, with something to strive for at least, and more money) and have an owner (Weaver) who doesn't seem all that committed to the city of Jacksonville. Calling it is what it is, Jacksonville at best seems to be a college town, where the Jaguars will be second to the Gators and never be a big draw.

Let me throw an interesting, "never say never" scenario at y'all. Consider these factors:

1. Wayne Weaver also happens to have some St. Louis connections going back to his International Shoe Co. days.

2. Rams' majority owner Georgia Frontiere and team president John Shaw both maintain their principal residences in Southern California.

3. The Rams' lease with the Edward Jones Dome is riddled with exploitable loopholes.

4. The Rams' 87 game home sellout streak ended last week and for the first time ever the team refused to repurchase the unsold ticket inventory in order to guarantee the game would be broadcast locally.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of machinations unfold whereby a group of SoCal investors buys out minoirty owner Stan Kroenke (who would then be able to concentrate exclusively on his Denver-based NBA and NHL holdings) and returns the Rams to Los Angeles; and Weaver moves the Jags to St. Louis. The NFC West certainly makes more regional sense and the AFC South suddenly has a regional rivalry in STL-Indy, another regional, "Super Bowl cities rematch" rivalry with Tennessee and a "these cities already have a great baseball rivalry" rivalry with Houston. Neither franchise has to deal with name changes, uniform changes or logo changes either, meaning a deal could probably get done at practically any time with a minimal amount of changes needing to be made to their appearances or promotional materials.

What are the odds on this scenario actually playing out? I'd put it at 5% tops, but it's still not entirely inconceivable.

Let me throw an interesting, "never say never" scenario at y'all. Consider these factors:

1. Wayne Weaver also happens to have some St. Louis connections going back to his International Shoe Co. days.

2. Rams' majority owner Georgia Frontiere and team president John Shaw both maintain their principal residences in Southern California.

3. The Rams' lease with the Edward Jones Dome is riddled with exploitable loopholes.

4. The Rams' 87 game home sellout streak ended last week and for the first time ever the team refused to repurchase the unsold ticket inventory in order to guarantee the game would be broadcast locally.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of machinations unfold whereby a group of SoCal investors buys out minoirty owner Stan Kroenke (who would then be able to concentrate exclusively on his Denver-based NBA and NHL holdings) and returns the Rams to Los Angeles; and Weaver moves the Jags to St. Louis. The NFC West certainly makes more regional sense and the AFC South suddenly has a regional rivalry in STL-Indy, another regional, "Super Bowl cities rematch" rivalry with Tennessee and a "these cities already have a great baseball rivalry" rivalry with Houston. Neither franchise has to deal with name changes, uniform changes or logo changes either, meaning a deal could probably get done at practically any time with a minimal amount of changes needing to be made to their appearances or promotional materials.

What are the odds on this scenario actually playing out? I'd put it at 5% tops, but it's still not entirely inconceivable.

Man, that sounds convincing. By chance are you Oliver Stone? Fact is though, if the Rams leave town, I'm done with the NFL. It would almost be nice though not to have as many late games since currently the rest of our division is 2 time zones away! I'd say rip that roof off the Dome & move in a MLS team!

By the way, how many chances does L.A. get exactly at actually holding on to an NFL franchise?

Los Angeles Saints with the Spanish Cross rather than the Fleur de lis.

LosAngelesSaints.jpg

Icky-Ahcky-Poopy...yuck. I don't even like the Saints name in New Orleans but at least it makes some bit of sense. I really wish the Saints would relocate to LA..become the California Condors...and the expansion club in New Orleans would either be the New Orleans Sea Wolves or New Orleans Sea Devils and use the logos from the defunt New England Sea Wolves or the NFL Europe Hamburg franchise....okay, so I'm dreaming but LA Saints? Nah!

It would almost be nice though not to have as many late games since currently the rest of our division is 2 time zones away!

You can thank JJ and the Cowboys for that. They insisted on staying in the NFC East which prevented any chance of the proposal for that had the Lions going to the East (since they're in the Eastern time zone) and having the Rams in the north. IIRC, the Rams are closer to 6 teams than their closest division rivals.

brew.png

It would almost be nice though not to have as many late games since currently the rest of our division is 2 time zones away!

You can thank JJ and the Cowboys for that. They insisted on staying in the NFC East which prevented any chance of the proposal for that had the Lions going to the East (since they're in the Eastern time zone) and having the Rams in the north. IIRC, the Rams are closer to 6 teams than their closest division rivals.

But in spite of time zones, you're busting up rivalries with the Bears/Vikings/Packers and ruining Dallas's as well. That's more important.

Archived