Montreal gets 2009 NHL All-Star Game

Roger Clemente

In honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Canadiens, the NHL awarded the 2009 All-Star Game to Montreal.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193332&hubname=

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Very logical choice.

I'll try to get tickets for the All-Star Competition, for sure.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Buffalo should be getting the game soon. They had last in 1978. Montreal had it in 1993 but they should and did get it again for their 100th annaversary.

EDIT: Huskyfan, There will be no game in 2010 b/c of the olympics. So mabye in 2011.

saBS.png

We were talking about this the other day, I'm an intern with the Coyotes. It amazes me how the NHL wants to expand the game, yet they put an event like this in Montreal again. I'm not dissing Montreal at all, it's a great hockey city, but two times Phoenix get screwed because of something. Jobing.com Arena is a great arena, it's taken too long for it to get a All-Star Game.

David

We were talking about this the other day, I'm an intern with the Coyotes. It amazes me how the NHL wants to expand the game, yet they put an event like this in Montreal again. I'm not dissing Montreal at all, it's a great hockey city, but two times Phoenix get screwed because of something. Jobing.com Arena is a great arena, it's taken too long for it to get a All-Star Game.

David

There are alot of new arenas who haven't hosted an All-Star game. Phillips Arena (Atlanta-hosting in '08) Bell Centre (Montreal-hosting in '09), HSBC Arena (Buffalo), Nationwide Arena (Columbus) ScotiaBank Place (Ottawa), GEC (Nashville), RBC Center (Carolina), Verizon Center (Washington), United Center (Chicago), and Jobbing.com Arena. All should get a game but they all can't there are not enough games.

saBS.png

David

No offense, but if I had the choice between seeing the all-star game in Montreal or some Phoenix suburb that's surrounded by freeway offramps, i'll take Montreal anytime.

David

When was the first time?

Atlanta was given the 2005 All-Star Game, with dibs on 2008 if the 2005 Game got erased by the lockout, which did happen. Atlanta was rightfully given the 2008 Game.

David

When was the first time?

Atlanta was given the 2005 All-Star Game, with dibs on 2008 if the 2005 Game got erased by the lockout, which did happen. Atlanta was rightfully given the 2008 Game.

Aha! Answered my own question...kinda. Has Philadelphia ever even hosted the game?

David

When was the first time?

Aha! Answered my own question...kinda. Has Philadelphia ever even hosted the game?

Philly hosted it in 1976 and 1992

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

David

When was the first time?

Phoenix was chosen to host the All-Star Game in 2006, but that was cancelled when the NHL decided to never hold an All-Star Game during a season that also contains a Winter Olympic break.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Very logical choice.

Good luck with that. I don't even think this year's game had tickets available to the public.

David

No offense, but if I had the choice between seeing the all-star game in Montreal or some Phoenix suburb that's surrounded by freeway offramps, i'll take Montreal anytime.

Because when enjoying an all-star competition the most important thing is what is surrounding the arena, right?

Freeway Offramps are always a logical reason for keeping the All-Star game out of town.

David

Yah but Phoenix has only been in the league since 1997 and the Senators however have been in the league since 93 which I think is the second oldest team to not have hosted the All-star Game, after Calgary.

Damn I'm hungry for the All-star game in Ottawa.

Hi, how are you?

So the Eastern Conference will be the host team in two consecutive seasons...

Not that it means all that much.

The last game, in '04 was in Minnesota, and this year's is in Dallas, both in the West.

David

Yah but Phoenix has only been in the league since 1997 and the Senators however have been in the league since 93 which I think is the second oldest team to not have hosted the All-star Game, after Calgary.

Damn I'm hungry for the All-star game in Ottawa.

Calgary hosted the game in 1985

saBS.png

David

Um...the oldest team and most storied team in the league will be celebrating their 100th anniversary. That takes precedents over a team that moved to its current location in 1997.

David

Because when enjoying an all-star competition the most important thing is what is surrounding the arena, right?

Freeway Offramps are always a logical reason for keeping the All-Star game out of town.

Like I said above, this the Montréal Canadiens' 100th anniversary. That should insure them the ASG. Tell you what, when the Lightning and Coyotes are celebrating their 100th anniversaries I'll back their bids.

Also consider that the All-Star Game is more then just the All-Star Game. It's a huge event, and the surrounding area plays a big role in the festivities. In that respect being a good "hockey city" matters, and not to knock Glendale, but doesn't hold a candle to Montréal in that regard.

Yes, the Coyotes have a beautiful new arena, and that alone probably does mean they deserve an ASG in the near future, but not for 2009. That's the Canadiens' year, they deserve it. Right now it looks like Phoenix will get the 2011 game. So it all works out in the end.

Very logical choice.

Good luck with that. I don't even think this year's game had tickets available to the public.

David

Yes, yes and more yes. Obviously, it's better for sponsors, attendees, media coverage, et al. The game itself is nothing compared to the spectacle the NHL wants the "all-star" week to become.

By some perverted "you built a new arena, you get an all-star game" logic, I guess the Coyotes are due. But don't try to insinuate that Glendale's a deserving location by any other criteria. Hell, you can't even mention the arena's asinine name without eliciting guffaws.

Archived