college/university colors - athletic & institutional

leggman01

...an ncaa institution that uses different colors for their athletic department and their athletic department

i'm doing a little research

thanks in advance!

I'm still in the middle of getting everything up on my site, but yes - there are TONS of them:

College Colors & Nicknames

That is a fantastic resource...

BTW, as far as Bemidji State, according to their official style guide (PDF), while blue is a "primary school color," it, for all intensive purposes, isn't an athletic color, as it is listed on your site... In fact, one of our short-time basketball coaches (we've had several over the last 6 years), tried to order blue uniforms after the school adapted the new administrative logo (with blue in it), and the alumni went nuts... Needless to say, the uni's lasted only as long as it took to order green replacements... So, basically, what I'm saying is that Bemidji State athletics is green and white, with no blue.

Moose

BTW, as far as Bemidji State, according to their official style guide (PDF), while blue is a "primary school color," it, for all intensive purposes, isn't an athletic color, as it is listed on your site... In fact, one of our short-time basketball coaches (we've had several over the last 6 years), tried to order blue uniforms after the school adapted the new administrative logo (with blue in it), and the alumni went nuts... Needless to say, the uni's lasted only as long as it took to order green replacements... So, basically, what I'm saying is that Bemidji State athletics is green and white, with no blue.

Thanks for the info...I'll look through that document (I love those things), and make the necessary adjustments.

I really need to get that section of the SSUR updated...I've been collecting that information for years (actually, decades), but it's a LOT of stuff (almost 4,000 schools), and I haven't had the time to keep it as up-to-date as I used to.

heh, off the top of my head, Notre Dame's academic colors are closer to a royalish blue and yellow gold than the athletic colors of navy blue and old gold (and sometimes green). then, as far as other schools everybody knows, Colorado's athletic colors are black and gold, but the academic colors are silver and gold. I remember reading Idaho also uses silver and gold, but its teams wear black and gold. And the last one I can think of is Montana, whose school colors are gold and copper, but switched to silver and maroon for sports in the early 90s.

oh yeah, I recall Pantone showin us that UNC uses two different shades of its famed carolina blue, one for teams and one for school colors.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The University of Colorado at Boulder uses Silver and Gold (423 & 116) as it's academic colors, but the athletics are Black and Gold.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I dont know if its institutional or not but at the University of Washington, I think it has to do with the alumni or something, it seems they all wear Blue and gold, Ive even seen hats and lettermans jackets with blue and gold (yellow) But athletic as you know is just purple and gold.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

this is interesting stuff...i work at methodist university (formerly college), and when the name changed we got a new institutional logo (designed by skye dillon) and we're very close to finalizing new athletic logos (also designed by skye) - incidentally, the work skye is getting is a direct result of this board (tempest and redeye were the other 2 finalists considered for the athletic logos)

athletics has traditionally used yellow-gold while the institution has always used "old gold" (pms 872)...both have been coupled with green (pms 343) - most of the marketing committee (myself included) wants to standardize the shade of gold, but athletics made the argument that many schools used "dual colors" - i couldn't think of ANY, so this has certainly opened my eyes a bit

that being said though, quickly browsing through your site, pantone, it still seems to me that it's a relatively uncommon practice...would this be a fair statement, or am i missing something?

jldesigns404eo.png

heh...I got the golds mixed up (and I have seen the sheet pantone posted before...shame on me) but yeah, that illustrates the point pretty damn well.

lilgump: I aint know that about Washington, that's real interesting. I remember Clemson using navy instead of purple for a while (or mistaking navy for purple?), but the other UW, never woulda suspected it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

quickly browsing through your site, pantone, it still seems to me that it's a relatively uncommon practice...would this be a fair statement, or am i missing something?

Well, I believe it is a pretty common practice - among the teams that I actually have been able to find Pantone values for. Which isn't that large of a percentage of schools to be honest (most Division I, and a number of smaller schools).

As I continue to collect this information, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out...

On a general level, Maryland splits the four colors of the flag -- black/gold for academia, red/white for athletics -- although each frequently borrows from the other.

Also, any logo that looks like a globe wrapped in a Md state flag, is an academic logo, not athletic.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

All though they have gone to great pains to remedy it in the past few years, Indiana for a long time wore red and white while the school colors are cream and crimson. Like i said, it's fixed now and they wear crimson pretty much across the board.

Of course, there was also the late 90's "let's add black to the football uniforms" debacle. They actually wore all black for one game in 1997 against Kentucky. It was over 80 degrees outside - IU lost something like 49-7 - and the unis were thankfully retired.

The University of Texas wears burnt orange now but originally wore a brighter shade that came to be known as "Texas Orange." Darrell Royal changed the color in the early 60s because the burnt variety, which is closer to brown, hides the ball better.

FsQiF2W.png

At the last bball game I was asking around about the whole blue/gold instead of purple/gold thing and found out that it doesnt have to do with athletic/institutional colors.

The Blue and Gold was used by sports teams that were considered too dangerous and therefore werent officially recognized by the University of washington back in the day. Since they werent official they used blue and gold instead of purple and gold.

And now, I think, its used by groups like the alumni association to kind of respect those times or whatnot.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

heh, reminds me of the Whitewater rugby team...the school colors are purple and white, and most of the athletic teams throw silver and black into the mix. The lone exception is the aforementioned rugby team, which for some reason wears royal blue and green.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Duke has different sets of colors for athletics and academics. It's academic colors are Duke Blue and White. Duke blue is closer to navy blue than Royal. It's athletic colors are Royal Blue and White (the ever-annoying black is not a school color...just an irritant).

Archived