NBA All Star format

HatManTC

Was watching PTI(i know some people cant stand it, but thats neither here nor there) but they were talking about how to improve the NBA All Star game. One of Welbon's suggestion is going to World vs. North America style of game like the NHL use to do. I never been a fan of that format. i like having East v. West style of All Star games. I dont want to have to pick which of my teams players would i rather choose to pull for. Whats your thought on how to make it a better, more enjoyable game to watch.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Have the winning conference get home court for the Finals. No, wait a minute...that's too stupid - no self-respecting professional sports league would ever give an advantage in their marquee event based on the result of an exhibition game. :sarcasm/:

And other clowns that dont work for ESPN and are just reporters wanna see USA vs The World (This isnt hockey). They say it bring more competition. If i wanna see Team USA i'll wait for the summer time. Leave the All Star Game the way it is. Its not about win or lose. Its about the fans and players comming together having fun all weekend.

I wanna see the alley attempt. Shaq crossovers, center shooting 3s, and player dribbling and dunking the ball like its a pick up game at least for the first 3 quarters. I dont wanna see set plays and a huge competition like its a gold medal on the line or its Game 7. Just one game let them have fun. All these old people need to stop crying about seeing competition. This was just one ASG that was a blow out in recent years. The West is just better all around right now.

I almost wanna say that the skills competition should be more like the NHL in that actual All-Stars should only compete, but I'm not sure that it'd work out. In the NBA, the guys who are the best 3-point shooters might not be all-star players. For example, Hubert Davis was never an all-star calibur player, but could shoot the 3-ball better than most guys in the league. On the same line, I doubt we'll see Desmond Mason or Jason Richardson on an all-star roster either, although clearly, a Kobe, LeBron dunk competition would probably be one of the best ever.

Personally, I think that if you are over the age of the "Sprite demographic", aka under 25, the format of the NBA Weekend is not for you. The Barkley/Bavetta race was to peak out interest as a bit only. Outside of that, I (who is now 33) only wanted to see the Skills Competition. Jordan was correct in not trying to give a 10 for the dunk contest.

Regardless who talks about it, this weekend is now a cable TV event, like the WWE or even . I heard little from NBC or CBS on Sunday afternoon, but I now live on the west coast. The Barkley race was a bit, and Ernie Johnson acted like his precisisors on TBS and the NWA/Crockett wrestling on Turner in his hype.

Last year, J.A. Adande called this past weekend, "Black Super Bowl" to Bill Simmons, and he was right. Even as a Black male, I don't care about it and the game is never competitive. Outside of her contract with the Flamingo, is Toni Braxton really relavent?

1. all star game at the end of the year. that way, overrated players don't get in and underrated players aren't left out *in theory* because you've got all year to factor in. sure the big names are gonna be constants, your tim duncan's, steve nash's, dwayne wade's, but give newer players an entire season to prove themselves before deciding who is and who is not an all-star that year.

2. all star weekend becomes a one-day, all-day event and the rookie vs. sophomore game is eliminated (didn't watch this year so i don't know if they did that already but still). 3point competition, dunk competition, all star game in that order. just do it all in one day.

3. and this may just be me, but mascot dunk contest. i don't know if they do it now, or have done it in the past, but before the actual dunk contest, MASCOT DUNK CONTEST.

4. agreed with no set plays. basketball is great in that you can play an entire game without running one set play. let it be a light hearted pickup game with emphasis on entertaining the fans.

5. nba all-stars vs. and 1 all-stars. maybe a two day thing. first game with street rules, second game with nba rules. that way fans of the game get to see a different facet of the game.

Slam dunk contest once every 5 years. They should have started this in about 1995. There is only so much that can be done that is new.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

its pretty simple how to improve the all star weekend:

Can it on cable!!!!

move it to network tv and also have the skills on sat night on network, there for u can build hype to a NATIONAL Auidence. Also with the skills comp. have bigger stars in ALL events not just the "skills" contest(thats a big joke, but thats for another time). I mean yea NBA, PAY the players more for the weekend so then they will be in the dunk contest and other events, imangine a dunk contest with: Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and some other person, yea i want to watch that!!!! and they schould have 2 seperate dunk contests, a solo one and then u get the 4 best pg and dunker combos(steve nash and amare to name one but it be teammates, so it have a element of "pride" to it) and have a ally-oop dunk contest, how fun would THAT be to watch??!!!!

Have the winning conference get home court for the Finals. No, wait a minute...that's too stupid - no self-respecting professional sports league would ever give an advantage in their marquee event based on the result of an exhibition game. :sarcasm/:

right, because it makes much more sense just to give one league home-field advantage over the other before each season even started like they used to do...

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

right, because it makes much more sense just to give one league home-field advantage over the other before each season even started like they used to do...

no it makes even MORE sense to have each game played in different cities so then the players can also deal with jet lag, along with the stress of a whole season!!!!

no it makes even MORE sense to have eatch game plaed in different cities so then the players can also deal with jet lag, along with the stress of a whole season!!!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! What are you saying here precisely? :therock::wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I propose only one change.....END THE DARN CONCEPT!!!!!! And I'm serious. This goes for all other sports too(Including Baseball).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived