The Toronto Blue Jays

Snazel

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how people react differently to the same thing. It goes to show that mercifully my ridiculous taste are not a universal standard.

I do not hate the Jays' web site. I used to a few years ago, but now its tolerable. I wish there was more historical information, (try and find a decent sized photo of Dave Steib and Mike Flanagan in retro-gear on the internet), but for the most part it keeps me up to date with the team fairly well.

Did David Wells find a team? If he didn't, this is the first season where not a single player from the 92/93 clubs are still in baseball.

Woops, strike that, I just realized that Mike Timlin is still out there. Everyone else though is long gone. If you had told me back in 92 that Timlin would have survived the longest of all of them, I'd have told you were insane.

I love how people react differently to the same thing. It goes to show that mercifully my ridiculous taste are not a universal standard.

I do not hate the Jays' web site. I used to a few years ago, but now its tolerable. I wish there was more historical information, (try and find a decent sized photo of Dave Steib and Mike Flanagan in retro-gear on the internet), but for the most part it keeps me up to date with the team fairly well.

Did David Wells find a team? If he didn't, this is the first season where not a single player from the 92/93 clubs are still in baseball.

Woops, strike that, I just realized that Mike Timlin is still out there. Everyone else though is long gone. If you had told me back in 92 that Timlin would have survived the longest of all of them, I'd have told you were insane.

I believe Wells signed with the Padres... and Delgado was on the '93 Jays, just didn't play in the post-season. Woody Williams might still be kickin' around somewhere too.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I believe Wells signed with the Padres... and Delgado was on the '93 Jays, just didn't play in the post-season. Woody Williams might still be kickin' around somewhere too.

Correct, plus Delgado started out as a catcher with the Jays.

4kv29i.jpg

Didn't count Delgado. He was September call up if memory serves. Baseball reference does credit him with an at-bat and a walk that year though, something I never knew. I love it when I learn something new about the team.

Woody Williams, yeah nice catch, although scanning the stats, it looks like he didn't play in either series in the playoffs that year either (pitched over 30 innings in the regular season though and notched a few wins). You were right he is still "kicking", he's listed on the Astros roster.

David Wells, wrote some of the nastiest stuff about Toronto in his book. I guess he and Cito did *not* get along and he has a very low opinion of us Jays' fans.

I miss Pat Borders, it was cool that he last so long (Greg Myers too, for that matter). He was a fixture in the Mariners' bullpen for a few years and watched him crank a AAA homerun down in Tacoma a couple of years back.

Some nice pitching today down in Florida I see. Any day the Red Sox lose to the Jays (even in Grapefruit) is a good day.

To kick it back to the actual topic at hand, the Jays debuted the new "T" cap today downin Dunedin...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/...ball_fng107.jpg

It's not the worst hat in the world, maybe it will grow on me.

I like Canada, I like Toronto, and my favorite all-time ball player is Dave Winfield. One might think that I would be a big-time Jays fan. However, I chose the other Canadian team. A little part of my soul died when the Expos were sold to MLB. The sport has never been (and never will be) the same.

However, I'm glad you posted those photos. Baseball, to me, was more innocent and pure back in 1993. And those jerseys truly are in a class of their own.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

bluejays93.jpg

How are these not great uniforms?

Too bad the Cooperstown Collection got the colors wrong...the Blue Jays had THREE different shades of Blue back then:

TorontoBlueJays_FRC_1988_SOL.jpg

The lighter Blue in the logo should be darker than the Light Blue on the sleeve trim.

Just me being picky.

bluejays93.jpg

Too bad the Cooperstown Collection got the colors wrong...the Blue Jays had THREE different shades of Blue back then:

The lighter Blue in the logo should be darker than the Light Blue on the sleeve trim.

Just me being picky.

Well on the bright side they did what the Dallas Cowboys should have done, sadly it was to late :cry:

bluejays93.jpg

Just me being picky.

But the uniforms pictured are supposed to be from 1993. The color guide you posted is for 1977-1988.

:D

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't want to derail this thread completely, but I do want to say I love Quebec and Ontario equally.

I was born in London, England, but moved to Montreal at a tender age and I regard my youth there as an absolute treasure. I spent three of those years in an all-French public school, and found French Canadians to be just incredible. Considering how well they accepted a boy from England coming to their school and their province in particular, well I'll just always remember that hospitality lets put it that way.

I take pride in the fact my french is still "passable", I am no longer fluent, but I can get by.

I moved to Toronto later as I became a teenager and into my early 20's. Ontario is fantastic and the city of Toronto itself, is a marvel.

So truly, I appreciate both sides of Canadian culture, and find myself torn all the time with allegiance, both Quebec and Ontario were so good to me.

To kick this back on topic, someone on this forum has pointed me in the direction of a book about the old Toronto Maple Leafs ballclub. If I can order this book, I'll post some of the images to it on this thread, I thought it would be fun to compare the Jays' uniforms with that of the old Leafs ballclub that preceded it.

I have a similar book on the Montreal Royals, who boasted awesome uniforms, not to mention a small piece of baseball history...

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

((These images don't come from the book directly, but were odd pictures of Jackie I had lying around and thought they were worthy enough to post here))

love that pic of Jackie Robinson, he actually broke the color barrier in Canada before going to the Dodgers. Great name too lol.

Speaking of Robinson...

Check this out http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10218

Slightly off topic, but what upgrades have the Jays made to the Rogers Centre.

If I read correctly, they have fully painted the cement facings at the Rogers Centre.

IMO they should change the infield diamond into all dirt, like most teams, and they should fix the outfield fences. The outfield fences are so lifeless, the gap between the fence and the stands look so anti-baseball....(probably not the best term, but meh.) Two more changes, they should change the skydome/renaissance hotel windows, they look out of date, and make the dugouts seem more cozy.

oh...and change their uni's to the world series era!

That probably won't happen as long as the Argos play there. I can't wait until the Argos find a new place to play so they can make the dome more baseball specific.

That probably won't happen as long as the Argos play there. I can't wait until the Argos find a new place to play so they can make the dome more baseball specific.

Argos are signed up there through 2019 (with team opt-out clauses in 2009 and 2014)... I don't think you'll be seeing them move any time soon.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Argos are signed up there through 2019 (with team opt-out clauses in 2009 and 2014)... I don't think you'll be seeing them move any time soon.

Oh god...

• LMU locked this topic

Archived