Logo for myself... opinions needed

Patsfan99

I'm hesitant to put this up here, as I'm not totally sold on the name yet...

but using this name, I've basically come up with a logo that I like... just need some general feedback on it... thoughts feelings, reactions? I don't really have an identity for my services right now, and am thinking of actually incorporating, so thought it's time to consider developing an identity...

the lightbulb idea is left over from an earlier concept... does it work better with or without?

thanks in advance...

J-PHILLIPS-CREATIVE.jpg

I'm hesitant to put this up here, as I'm not totally sold on the name yet...

but using this name, I've basically come up with a logo that I like... just need some general feedback on it... thoughts feelings, reactions? I don't really have an identity for my services right now, and am thinking of actually incorporating, so thought it's time to consider developing an identity...

the lightbulb idea is left over from an earlier concept... does it work better with or without?

thanks in advance...

J-PHILLIPS-CREATIVE.jpg

I like Option A. Like a lightbulb. A creative lightbulb. genius -

I like the light bulb, it can work for you. I am not sold on the gradient "light reflection" thing. I see you're trying to create a 3D feel to the logo, but the rest of the logo is flat. I think you're better off just having a flat bulb.

This is more of a question than a critique, but is there any significance (other than aesthetics) of tilting the 'J?' I keep trying to see something in the 'JP' combination. Maybe there is and I don't see it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

i like option A, the lightbulb...if i were to come to you for business, this would say to me, "this Phillips guy's probably got just the idea i need!"

option B, by comparison, just looks like a shiny ball, it doesn't really communicate much. basically, it looks like more (read: the lightbulb) could, and should, have been done to it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Lightbulb, definitely. I think the type is the weak point, though. Are the letters and bulb outline different shades of gray? if so, why?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

hmmm... it was supposed to match.... I'll have to go back and check... maybe I clicked on the wrong swatch.... couldn't see it originally, but I'm on a different computer now and I see what you guys are seeing....

and you guys have found my weak spot lately... I don't feel like my type skills are up to my illustration skills (been doing the illustration for much longer)... what doesn't look right? some constructive criticism and/or pointers would be useful...

I'm fascinated that everyone likes the lightbulb... I agree that it works better, but I thought for sure everyone was going to say that it was cliched and hackneyed...

thanks for the feedback guys... I really do use the information that I read here (both in my threads and in others) to try to improve my work... so much better than working in a vacuum...

Kinda looks like the bulb is off.

Don't make the bulb yellow, just put some bright streaks around it.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

While I like both concepts, just for safety, you may want to look at B as your choice.

I say this because even though your name has two "L"s and the Dutch electronics company Philips has just one, the light bulb may cause confusion or at possibly legal trouble since they are the largest maker of bubls in terms of revenue globally. Corporate attorneys may need something to do this summer (or may just like sports logos). Best of luck.

I would drop the gradient glare effect, or change the rest of the logo for a more 3d effect. Otherwise, the lightbulb looks good.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

• 2 weeks later...

While I like both concepts, just for safety, you may want to look at B as your choice.

I say this because even though your name has two "L"s and the Dutch electronics company Philips has just one, the light bulb may cause confusion or at possibly legal trouble since they are the largest maker of bubls in terms of revenue globally. Corporate attorneys may need something to do this summer (or may just like sports logos). Best of luck.

I don't understand how that matters at all. They have nothing to do with each other. NASA makes rockets, they aren't in a legal battle with Houston over their logo. Neither are the Jets in a battle with Boeing...it just doesn't add up. Just because his name is Phillips and he decided to use a light bulb as a logo (which is brilliant, I must say), I don't think it has anything at all to do with Phillips even though they are involved in lighting and electronics. I would have never thought of this scenario in a million years.

I say great work and option A to the fullest...although I will agree about making the wordmark the same shade of grey and maybe look at different fonts for it- the "creative" reminds me of Creative Labs wordmark if I remember correctly.

thanks for all the feedback... it's been really helpful...

so with regards to the font... first question is should I go roundish or square? the lightbulb is obviously full of round elements... complement that with a round font, or contrast it with something stronger?

ideas?

thanks for all the feedback... it's been really helpful...

so with regards to the font... first question is should I go roundish or square? the lightbulb is obviously full of round elements... complement that with a round font, or contrast it with something stronger?

ideas?

I would use a squared vertical font, using juxtaposition to emphasize all of the elements of the logo.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived