My Whalers Fantasy Alternate is done!

spyboy1

A small tear just fell from my eye as I sit here remembering my beloved Whale....sniff sniff!

Damn relocation!!!!!

As a childhood North Stars fan, I feel your pain.

I think once Norm Greed changed our logo from an "N" to the generic "stars", we were toast.

JeffB

Somewhere in an office or home in the heart of Winnepeg and Quebec City, there are other fans wiping tears from their eyes as well.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check this out. Dealers on ebay have started selling these in their own style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FRANCIS-HARTFORD-...emZ200115245258

611e_1.JPG6008_1.JPG

The thing that makes me mad about these is not that they had the same idea, or perhaps even found out about mine and copied it, but that they make ZERO effort to call it a "fantasy" jersey. Read the description and, knowing what we know about jerseys here, try not to feel like they are being deceptive to some degree at best.

They also went with Francis for the name and the same crest I used with the matching silver trim, but opted for the original font in two colors from the 80's jerseys. Compare it to mine and you can see the differences in the serifs on the "1". They also added a reproduction of the Whalers 10th Anniversary patch. This was originally worn in 81-82, with the original color scheme jerseys that did not have the silver, on the left sleeve, not the chest.

I know mine is a "fantasy" jersey, but I felt like I did a little better job getting my "accuracy" right than this one by using the 90's 3 color numbers and 90's font with the 90's colored jersey, and if you aren't going to put Pucky the Whale on the shoulders, you can't touch mine with a ten foot pole for fun. I also briefly considered using the 10th Anniversary patch, but at the time felt that it wasn't from the right era to be on my 90's style jersey.

Here's another try at it, but this one does not look nearly as good since they have used a two color 80's crest on a 90's colored jersey. The big issue, aside from the lack of silver in the crest, is the blue trim on the crest might as well be orange since it's so far off from the darker blue stripes on the jersey. That's really half-assing it compared to mine and the one shown above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HARTFORD-WHALE...emZ300119263096

fd97_1.JPG

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The constant stream of bootleg Whalers merch on eBay should be a wake-up call to the state of Connecticut that they are sitting on a potentially significant revenue stream, and doing absolutely nothing with it.

The Whalers aren't coming back. Start licensing out the retro merch and listen to those cash registers sing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Dang that a copy off yuor fantasy jersey, Spyboy... geez your jersey is way way cooler than these... and now I do understand about the "0" look.. I was sure that was wide but I do understand why now... odd enough your jersey color was a bit different from the other jersey that was shown in the pic today... must be my eyes... but I did notice something interesting.. the number look on that jersey that was on Ebay today is a bit odd as well but I do remmy that from hockey cards I have had with the Whalers on them and the back jerseys and etc.. hmm still, I do like your fantasy jersey very much and it is perfect for sure if the Hartford Whalers were still around!!!

As for the name and logo and etc, didnt I hear someone owned that right before? One name I heard was Baldwin (Howard I beleive) and someone else.. oh well.. maybe someone can confirm who has owned the rights and name of the logos and team names before the state of Connectinut who now has that...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

In my usual ebay searches, I've come across the second pictured jersey before, and thought they must be rip offs of yours, and very poor rip offs at that. I agree its annoying they don't clarify they aren't legit jerseys. Its interesting to note that you can no longer get the green version of the Whalers jersey from icejerseys.com, only the blue and white are available. I noticed this after your jersey was posted and these fakes made their way on to ebay. No idea if they are related, but it could be due to then being out of stock from people trying to make these fantasy jerseys.

As stated above, yours is way better, I feel sorry for any one who buys those. This is a project that if you want to do, you have to do yourself.

As for the seller, I'm not very impressed with them. $20 shipping for a jersey, w/o insurance is steep. I wont a lot of 20 NHL 2000 patches and two different Stanley Cup patches from them, coming to a grand total of about $30 before shipping. They charged me $15 for shipping for 22 patches, really? they must be made of lead. I asked for insurance they wanted $15 more to insure it. I realize I did well on the patches, and their shipping is set up to recoup losses, but that insurance is ridiculous. I hate things like that on ebay.

SEAsig.png

Its interesting to note that you can no longer get the green version of the Whalers jersey from icejerseys.com, only the blue and white are available.

The blank green ones are no longer available? :therock:

Really.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Interesting.

The value of mine just went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up I guess. :hockeysmiley:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• 2 years later...

Archived