Toronto FC on Canadian television?

officeglenn

With some three or four weeks before the MLS season starts, I'm just curious if anyone has heard anything about if/where Toronto FC will be on TV in Canada.

A Google search turned up some blog talk of a column in The Globe and Mail not too long ago that mentioned that the CBC would be showing a few games as part of a deal with FIFA for World Cup rights and to promote local soccer. There was also mention that several other games would be picked up by The Score.

If that's true, I would be surprised that Rogers Sportsnet isn't in on the deal. They have shown English Premier League games for years now, and have also shown national team games, both men's and women's. They seem to be more committed to soccer than any other basic-cable or broadcast channel (i.e. not Fox Sports World Canada) in Canada.

HDNET broadcasts MLS on occassion and the broadcasts are in 1080i. This is highly recommended, its a great way to watch MLS.

I like to pump this network up from time to time, its a highly under-rated station, but it shows some great programming.

One curiosity about HDNET's hockey broadcasts (which have some of the best picture quality of any hockey broadcast I've ever seen), is that they NEVER mention out of town scores.

I assume this is either a money-thing or a contract thing. Maybe Versus' and NBC's contracts suggest that no other "national" broadcasts can mention the scores or events of other games, or maybe the NHL demands extra $$ to have broadcasts mention the events of other games.

So while HDNET's broadcast of the NHL is fascinating to watch, you don't get a single out of town score for the entire game.

Anyway if you get HDNET check out their sports programming (as well as some of their other shows), this is a pretty nifty network, that's flying well under the radar.

"Occasional"? Hi, meet a big deal with the ESPN family. I would imagine TSN would have a lot of the games, because the MLS deal in the US is with ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC in the US.

You'll also get games on Fox Soccer Channel (AKA Fox Sports World Canada, still, right?) because they have rights as well and I'd imagine they translate.

I have no clue on local broadcasts because the closest ever team to where I've been was San Jose...now it's LA. bleh. we need a NW franchise, MLS.

harperdc.gif

I don't care which station, I'd just like to see some games. I'd never really thought about it until now, honestly. Does the MLS get any TV coverage in the US?

They have a very nice TV deal with "Soccer Saturday" every week on ESPN. ABC also shows the playoffs and the all-star game too I believe. The Fox Soccer Channel is going to start showing games this year too. I think I read somewhere that this will be the first year that EVERY MLS game will be on TV.

Pretty sweet deal considering they get worse ratings than the NHL. (Though with Beckham that will probably change)

Soccer Saturday is becoming Soccer Thursday (or whatever they'll actually call it) this season. It's part of the new ESPN deal.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I found this on Google, it seems to suggest that Univision has indeed picked up some MLS games this year:

Univision Acquires Rights To Broadcast MLS

NEW YORK (Monday, September 25, 2006) - Soccer United Marketing (SUM) has reached a comprehensive agreement with Univision Communications Inc. for the broadcast rights to Major League Soccer and other top soccer properties through 2014, it was announced today by SUM CEO Don Garber and David Downs, President of Univision Sports.

As part of the eight-year agreement, Univision will broadcast 25 MLS games per season, 10 U.S. Men?s National Team games and five international matches operated by SUM. Games under the agreement will be televised on all three of Univision?s networks, Univision, Telefutura and Galavision.

Good for the MLS! I am excited about the up and coming season.

I would imagine TSN would have a lot of the games, because the MLS deal in the US is with ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC in the US.

While TSN's identity is based on ESPN's, their programming is completely independent. For instance, TSN carries 100% more NHL hockey and twice as many NFL games. Their MLB and NBA coverage is exclusive to just the Blue Jays and Raptors. Also, with "ESPN Original Programming", it all seems to be shared equally between TSN and Rogers Sportsnet (and The Score carries some as well).

In all honesty though, TSN should grab the MLS. The only other significant summer programming they have is the CFL and the occasional Blue Jays game.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I'd put money that Leafs TV will carry some games, as Peddie is likely to want to keep it in the family.

On the other hand, Rogers is one of their sponsors, so if it was on one of our 2 Sports stations, I doubt it would be on ESPN-North (a.k.a. TSN)(wait, Globemedia as a stake in MLSE), I'd say RSN anyway...

or maybe they'll go with the good ol' CFL Blackout policy, no sellout? no local TV...

But wait! they did sell-out the 14,000 seats.

i wonder what kind of gimmick Peddie's Facist Sports Empire can come up with to grab more cash from us?

Pay-per-view at Ricoh Centre or the ACC?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/196706

"The CBC and Rogers Sportsnet will televise the bulk of Toronto FC's games in the team's inaugural season."

"Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chief operating officer Tom Anselmi confirmed yesterday that CBC and Sportsnet will probably carry 20 of the team's 30 games between them."

"Sportsnet will carry the team's Major League Soccer opener against Chivas USA on April 7. Gerry Dobson is expected to do the play-by-play"

1zqy8ok.gif

Soccer Saturday is becoming Soccer Thursday (or whatever they'll actually call it) this season. It's part of the new ESPN deal.

According to the promo clips here, it's "MLS Primetime Thursday."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

"The CBC and Rogers Sportsnet will televise the bulk of Toronto FC's games in the team's inaugural season."

"Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chief operating officer Tom Anselmi confirmed yesterday that CBC and Sportsnet will probably carry 20 of the team's 30 games between them."

"Sportsnet will carry the team's Major League Soccer opener against Chivas USA on April 7. Gerry Dobson is expected to do the play-by-play"

Hot damn! I like Gerry Dobson. Can we expect Craig Forrest on colour?

Hot damn! I like Gerry Dobson. Can we expect Craig Forrest on colour?

Most likely. The matches on CBC might be done by Mitch Peacock and Bob Lenarduzzi, as they did the Canada-Scotland U-20 game over the weekend.

If you're interested the friendly between New York and Toronto is being webcasted here :

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/webcast.asp

It's currently half-time with Toronto leading 2-1

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived