Dubie's fishy helmet

f-ing palko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know I don't follow hockey much, but I kinda like the fisherman logo. They just have to make him look a lot more bad ass. I mean, what's an Islander supposed to be anyway?

Great... lets downgrade the look of the NHL once again with an AHL logo!!! Seriously, that logo had no place in a pro league... it was ugly and made the Islanders look more like a crappy organization that they already were.

I think I hear Buffalo getting their brooms ready to sweep away the present garbage...

I respectfully disagree. Just because a person is depicted in a style that is not that of complete realism, does not mean a logo is minor league.

With a slightly different typeface and a removal of the goalie net, that logo could be great. You can do what you want with the accent colors depending on which colors you want associated with the Islanders, but even if they stay teal and silver, the logo on it's on would still be very good and worthy of being in a major professional league.

I understand people like their traditional logo, but that doesn't mean that logo sucked.

The uniforms DID suck, though. But not the logo.

And, to be honest, it's not like the logo they have is of the utmost quality either.

Don't get me wrong. I like it's charm, and it has tradition, and all of that stuff.

But if someone designed that for a new team today and another guy designed the other logo. I think 90% of this board would be in favor of the fisherman logo.

It looked like Gorton Fisherman (hence the name Fisherman) and/or Stan Fischler (who was one of their broadcasters at the time). It had no place in the NHL.

It looked like Gorton Fisherman (hence the name Fisherman) and/or Stan Fischler (who was one of their broadcasters at the time). It had no place in the NHL.

Heaven forbid a logo depict something of it's name sake...

Indeed. I don't see the connection. Is it because the "Islander" was too literal? Because the shoulders formed Long Island? The addition of teal? What?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Look at the dejected Flyer watching the Islander celebrate the Cup on the side of the mask. That's awesome.

Yeah, that's almost as awesome as the Northstars never winning a cup, and then getting moved to Dallas. Almost.

No. The situation you describe is most decidedly un-awesome in all respects. But how often do you see another team represented on a goalie's mask?

:hockeysmiley:

I know, I was just busting your stones. It sucked that you guys lost the Northstars, but at least you eventually got the Wild. I'm a Flyers fan, so I had to say something. If it wasn't for the Islanders and Oilers, the Flyers would have at least a couple more Cups.

Oh, and as much as I hate the Islanders, I actually got myself a Gorton's fisherman jersey a while back. For anyone who wants one, just keep searching ebay. There's usually at least one up for bid.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Indeed. I don't see the connection. Is it because the "Islander" was too literal? Because the shoulders formed Long Island? The addition of teal? What?

The shoulders form what?!

Please expand.

Sorry. I guess when you look at them, the epaulets on the shoulders don't really look like Long Island. They're probably just waves. But Long Island is represented by the three waves on the bottom of the logo.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Just shows how un-skilled he is...

When you`re only weapon on a shootout is the pokecheck, you don`t belong in the NHL...

That pokecheck knocked your sad Leafs out of the playoffs. Maybe Raycroft should learn it.

It's OK, though, he'll have an early offseason during which he can learn it.

(bow)

:bonk: BUSTED !!! :cry:

Leafs' Shootout problem was more scoring than stopping them...

As for DUBI-WAN KENOBI, I can't see him as a playoffs performer.

Had DiPietro been starting the series for the Isles, I would have been ready to put a few bucks on them, at least for a couple rounds.

Maybe i should put my Fisherman replica on ebay...

Along with that Bud Light 1984 Stnaley Cup promo hat I got on Thursday... (huummmm! maybe that's what jinxed the Leafs season...)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Heaven forbid a logo depict something of it's name sake...

It was a couple of things. First the logo and uniform was ugly. There is no way any one could defend that wavy stripes uniform. Second it basically crapped all over the history and tradition of the Islanders who up until that point were a very successful team (2 years removed from that run to the Wales Conference Finals). They basically replaced a uniform they won 4 Stanley Cups in and were a top team with an ugly uniform with a logo that looked like they guy on the fishstick box. I can't see why the Islanders fans were upset with it and why they were constantly mocked on the road. :rolleyes:

Oh my God, that number font and "wave" stripes on the top and bottom are hideous. The Gorton Fisherman gets a bad rap, but it is not the logo that is the problem with that sweater.

I'll give them credit for trying something different there, even if it was gaudy, but it will be mine soon!

Oh my God, that number font and "wave" stripes on the top and bottom are hideous. The Gorton Fisherman gets a bad rap, but it is not the logo that is the problem with that sweater.

As an Islander fan, I agree with you. The logo, while not needed, was not awful. It was the complete package that made it awful.

And the blue jersey looks much better than the white.

This is the jersey I am looking to sell. Asking $40 plus shipping cost. It is a Starter size L and has a very feint tannish stain above the Fisherman. Hardly noticeable.

th_CIMG0646.jpg

th_CIMG0645.jpg

th_CIMG0644.jpg

SOLD to zer0dotcom!

Yeah, I guess the colors and pattern are pretty dumb, and quite honestly I like their current logo a lot. Maybe they could use a demonic looking fisherman as their alternate logo. I'd buy that jersey and I don't even watch hockey!

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

Archived