Chicago's Bid for the 2016 Olympic Games

Fred T. Jane

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's all be honest with ourselves here. Did anyone really think Chicago had a chance? Well, besides Cub fans who every year think they have a chance so they were probably the only ignorant people who thought Chicago had a chance. Take a step back and logically think about it, Rio vs. Chicago. That's like saying Albequerque has a chance for a summer resort local vs. Hawai'i or even Costa Rica. Get a clue people, Chicago was on there just to amuse someone in the IOC. Chicago was the red-headed step-child that was there just to be nice.

Let's be honest. Did anyone really think Chicago had any chance of winning? Well besides Cub fans, and even Cub fans knew there was no chance. A little reality here people.

Let's all be honest with ourselves here. Did anyone really think Chicago had a chance? Well, besides Cub fans who every year think they have a chance so they were probably the only ignorant people who thought Chicago had a chance.

wait what

Oddball should keep making variations on the same post until he reaches the desired threshold for attention.

Come on let's all be honest with ourselves here. Did anyone really think Chicago had a chance? Well, besides Cub fans, who drink the blood of newborns while praying to a golden goat in between gang-rapes and robberies. I bet only those monsters thought they had a chance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Politics aside, Rio is just so breathtaking to look at. No offense to Chicago but Rio is just so much more of an exotic locale. The IOC should give Madrid the games in 2020. It's a spectacular place.

Not so fast, why would Europe get the Olympics 2 out of 3 Summer Olympic Games (London 2012, potentially Madrid 2020), when North America (not only the US, but Canada) at that point would have had it for 24 years? I have a feeling 2020 will either be in Asia or North America.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for potential 2020 bids, here are my frontrunners so far:

- Tokyo (3rd place in 2016 voting)

- Toronto (potential new stadium for the Blue Jays and/or possible NFL team?)

- Dubai, UAE (dark horse, with all the money in that region, who knows)

Politics aside, Rio is just so breathtaking to look at. No offense to Chicago but Rio is just so much more of an exotic locale. The IOC should give Madrid the games in 2020. It's a spectacular place.

Not so fast, why would Europe get the Olympics 2 out of 3 Summer Olympic Games (London 2012, potentially Madrid 2020), when North America (not only the US, but Canada) at that point would have had it for 24 years? I have a feeling 2020 will either be in Asia or North America.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for potential 2020 bids, here are my frontrunners so far:

No way Toronto is bidding for the 2020 games. They lost the 2000, 2004 and 2008 bids, and with Vancouver winning their bid, the organizers turned their attention to the Pan-Am games.

1zqy8ok.gif

If you really care about 2020, just skip Wikipedia and get all your future information from gamesbids.com. Plus, Istanbul is probably going to bid as it was part of their Constitution as far back as 1992. The UAE has over half the cranes in the world there, but construction has stopped due to the economy.

Tank, did you click on the link I posted yesterday with Dick Ebersol talking about the icy relationship which the USOC has currently with the IOC? If not, do so and your thoughts of LA will quickly fade away. Sorry, but Ebersol was not on Fox Business, but he took questions from the regular hosts, not just Darren Rovell.

Also keep in mind that LA has much more people than '84, plus the Coliseum isn't going to be available, since USC's lease entitles the school to make football-specific renovations, like the track already being removed.

VmWIn6B.png

My personal prediction for 2020 might be an African venue, maybe Cape Town or somewhere else in South Africa? I think 2024 might be a more realistic target for a North America games.

As for places like Dubai, there is no fixed date for when the games have to be held. But also remember that the games have been held in all sorts of climate, so the heat would not necesarily be considered a problem.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My personal prediction for 2020 might be an African venue, maybe Cape Town or somewhere else in South Africa? I think 2024 might be a more realistic target for a North America games.

As for places like Dubai, there is no fixed date for when the games have to be held. But also remember that the games have been held in all sorts of climate, so the heat would not necesarily be considered a problem.

If you think the IOC would even consider giving South Africa an Olympiad after the difficulties they've had preparing for the World Cup next year, you are mistaken.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you think the IOC would even consider giving South Africa an Olympiad after the difficulties they've had preparing for the World Cup next year, you are mistaken.

I think once the IOC sees South Africa pull off a succesful World Cup that will bolster the countries chance for an Olympics. The IOC has voiced support for the idea of a games in Africa, and save for a few North African cities, beyond South Africa, there isn't much chance of another African city hosting the games.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think once the IOC sees South Africa pull off a succesful World Cup that will bolster the countries chance for an Olympics. The IOC has voiced support for the idea of a games in Africa, and save for a few North African cities, beyond South Africa, there isn't much chance of another African city hosting the games.

Any "success" South Africa has in 2010 has already been overshadowed by FIFA almost taking the World Cup away and sending it back to Germany.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Any "success" South Africa has in 2010 has already been overshadowed by FIFA almost taking the World Cup away and sending it back to Germany.

See thats where your wrong. There is a long history of worries over whether or not major sports events will go off ok, and I think I am write in saying that only in 1986, when the World Cup was moved away from Colombia, has a governing body actually had to pull the trigger. I remember a ton of stories about Athens being under serious jeopardy in 2004, but things come together. There is almost always a 'plan B' in place if a major event has to be moved. And it almost always never gets used. Noone ever remembers it, because the competition gets under way and goes, well damned well. As will happen in South Africa next year. Its not like South Africa doesn't have some history of hosting major multi national sporting events succesfully, especially given the central part the 2005 Rugby World Cup played in the modern history of that nation.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

See thats where your wrong. There is a long history of worries over whether or not major sports events will go off ok, and I think I am write in saying that only in 1986, when the World Cup was moved away from Colombia, has a governing body actually had to pull the trigger. I remember a ton of stories about Athens being under serious jeopardy in 2004, but things come together. There is almost always a 'plan B' in place if a major event has to be moved. And it almost always never gets used. Noone ever remembers it, because the competition gets under way and goes, well damned well. As will happen in South Africa next year. Its not like South Africa doesn't have some history of hosting major multi national sporting events successfully, especially given the central part the 2005 Rugby World Cup played in the modern history of that nation.

I think you meant the 1995 RWC. A Youth Olympic Games for a South African city, yes. Getting "The Varsity"...no.

See thats where your wrong. There is a long history of worries over whether or not major sports events will go off ok, and I think I am write in saying that only in 1986, when the World Cup was moved away from Colombia, has a governing body actually had to pull the trigger. I remember a ton of stories about Athens being under serious jeopardy in 2004, but things come together. There is almost always a 'plan B' in place if a major event has to be moved. And it almost always never gets used. Noone ever remembers it, because the competition gets under way and goes, well damned well. As will happen in South Africa next year. Its not like South Africa doesn't have some history of hosting major multi national sporting events successfully, especially given the central part the 2005 Rugby World Cup played in the modern history of that nation.

I think you meant the 1995 RWC. A Youth Olympic Games for a South African city, yes. Getting "The Varsity"...no.

Yeah typo there!

All I will say is that there are some great South African cities that are used to big sporting events, and that to take a somewhat dismissive attitude to the opportunity comes across as somewhat patronizing to a few great possibilities.

I would almost go as far as predicting that if the Football World Cup goes off well next year, there is a good opportunity that the 2020 game will be in South Africa.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived