Akron Aeros to wear Canton-Akron Indians Throwbacks

I just got word yesterday night that the Akron Aeros will wear Canton-Akron Indians throwback on July 28 as part of an ?80?s Night?. The jerseys are the very similar to the ones the Cleveland Indians wore from 1989 to 1993, and the ones Charlie Sheen incorrectly wears in the Direct TV commercial. They will also be wearing the hats that go with they jerseys. After the game the jerseys will be signed by the players and auctioned off for charity. The first 1000 fans will also receive ?80?s Night? shirts. The only problem that came up between me and the clubhouse manager is that they will be wearing their home white pants with the purple piping. After asking the GM about it in a passing conversation, he laughed and said that we don?t have that kind of money to get all new pants too. Other than that, I think that it will look pretty good.

Pictures taken from the players sign up sheet:

aerosthrowback1.jpg

aerosthrowback2.jpg

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

"Did Canton-Akron have those patches on the sleeves? I figured the jerseys were just hand-me-downs from the big league team that were moved along down the ladder to Burlington."

Yep. That was the only difference between Canton/Akron and Cleveland. Other than the C on the hat.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

"Did Canton-Akron have those patches on the sleeves? I figured the jerseys were just hand-me-downs from the big league team that were moved along down the ladder to Burlington."

Yep. That was the only difference between Canton/Akron and Cleveland. Other than the C on the hat.

The Aeros are actually paying more to have the patches completely remade. Its turning into the most expesive part of the jersey. I asked if they didnt just have some old ones stashed away in a box and they said they looked but couldnt come up with any.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I'll bite, what's incorrect about the Charlie Sheen commercial?

In the movie, he wears the jerseys from 1987 (88?), with no piping on the sleeves. For the scenes filmed recently, he has the late 80s-early 90s duds with red and blue piping.

No, that's correct. He was in Major League AND Major League II (1988 and 1994) and they mixed in footage from bit movies. Although the Indians did have different unis in the real 1994 season.

The Cleveland Indians should bring back that Chief Wahoo within the wishbone C for their caps. That looks really good. Maybe they could revamp it a little bit (maybe add a white outline or something), but the main idead is just sharp. And a heck of a lot better than the cursive I.

The Cleveland Indians should bring back that Chief Wahoo within the wishbone C for their caps. That looks really good. Maybe they could revamp it a little bit (maybe add a white outline or something), but the main idead is just sharp. And a heck of a lot better than the cursive I.

I disagree. Following the Toronto example of mixing letter AND graphic on the team cap seems superfluous.

Detroit saw the light and removed the tiger jumping out of an old English D for its roads after briefly experimenting with that as a cap logo ...

pMLB2-1478967dt.jpg

The Braves do it with the tomahawk forming the horizontal line of the A on their alternate caps. Only because a tomahawk by itself may be hard to identify on a ball cap does this one somewhat work.

FF_92757_s.jpg

Don't worry, I also dislike the star inside of the P on the Phillies' alternate caps. No homerism here.

pMLB2-1669808reg.jpg

If given the opportunity, I would put a blue Liberty Bell silhouette on a red crown for a Phillies alternate cap. Perhaps living in Blue Bell makes me think that's an outstanding idea.

Bottom line for an on-the-field cap: Use letters. Use a logo. Just don't use both. I am willing to grant some lee-way if it's a letter in front of or inside a star, since that doesn't come off as being overly obtrusive.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I don't mind the letter and the image on a cap sometimes, but that really needs to have Wahoo in front of the C, not behind (though for historical accuracy they shouldn't change--just saying if they brough them back).

I've loved the Springfield Cardinals cap logo since it came out, and I've always thought some of the Nike hat logos for various clubs would make decent alt hats too.

Also, while the Jays do their colors wrong, and I'd rather see a T than a J on the hat, i don't mind their hat logo too much.

pMLB2-2000926dt.jpg

The Tiger coming out of the Old English D is one of the best logos in sports.

Mixing letters and logos usually looks really good. For example, the Chicago Bear inside the wishbone C. That really should be the Bears' main logo.

pMLB2-1478967dt.jpg

I love the 1994 Tigers road uni, featured on the back of that card. Just gorgeous.

1994 was quite a nice year in terms of baseball unis.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If given the opportunity, I would put a blue Liberty Bell silhouette on a red crown for a Phillies alternate cap. Perhaps living in Blue Bell makes me think that's an outstanding idea.

Good thing you don't live in Blue Ball or Intercourse, I'd hate to see what you want on the hat then. :D

But I agree with you. The team should use the Liberty Bell in conjunction with a P, as its primary hat logo. But I don't like the P they use now or the P from the 70's and 80"s.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived