Yellow NASCAR wall at Lowe's

totc

Last night at the Nextel All-Star race, the wall around the entire 2-mile track in Charlotte wasn't white, but yellow (the color of the Nextel/Sprint company).

fullj.getty-74156979rm023_nascar_nextel_11_37_45_pm.jpg

Now, barriers in motor racing have ranged from gray or silver Armco barriers to white walls, and some walls draped in advertising such as in Formula One. At times, walls in places such as Charlotte, Richmond, Darlington, and Atlanta have alternated with red and white or black and white sections (presumably making it easier to pick up braking points).

But I've never seen yellow; they spray-painted the concrete, the SAFER barriers, and even the yellow foam cones behind the SAFER walls (I assume that's not exactly recommended because paint could soften the foam, making it less resistant to movement when a 3,700 pount car hits it at 180 miles an hour).

Does having a yellow wall make it more visible or create better contrast (similar to what yellow shooting lenses does in hunting)?

I liked it. It made a better contrast to the road, and it looked amazing on a big screen. I hope they do this for most night events in the future.

It will be back to normal next week. They said on the broadcast that the yellow wall was only for the All-Star Challenge.

Note: The wall was yellow during the Craftsman Truck series race, too.

I'm not much of a fan of it. Yeah, it's different, but it because it's usually white, it just looks dirty. Like teeth are supposed to be white, and when they're yellow, it looks bad. Some principle applies here.

FWIW, part of the reason they were white and red for a long time is because Winston offered to, back in the late '70s, help repair a lot of the NASCAR ovals...in exchange for Winston signage and the more not-quite-so-subliminal white and red wall trim. I guess they're just now able to start changing these things around...

btw, F1 tracks got a LOT less interesting once the FIA and FOM started selling sponsorship deals by the season as opposed to leaving it to individual tracks - this means, instead of seeing different signs at each track, it's all the same sponsors and billboards no matter where you are. I think Monaco is still kinda different and incorporates other stuff, but it's the only exception I think.

harperdc.gif

Archived