Chicago Cubs NL sleeve patch?

rob66

Just wanted to know if anybody knew exactly why the Cubs sport a NL patch on their sleeve, they are the only team in the MLB that represents their league with a patch, I looked it up online but I can't find anything.

rob66.png

Ohhhh, the bp jerseys! Sorry about that one rob66, I hope I didn't come across as a jerk. I've seen that on those and just shrugged and didn't think much of it, but yeah it was a good question and I think we got the answer.

gotta correct one thing, the NL patch was on the alternates (the two jerseys that were previously posted) and also on the 97-02 and 03-06 BP jerseys. heh, that was always the trouble with the 97-02 BPs, they looked too much like the alts (though I'm surprised I never heard about a Cub wearing that jersey on alt blue days by mistake...the two most notable differences, the lettering and C-bear treatment, aren't those the average fan would give a damn about)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Just an FYI all, the Cubs do not wear their "Third/Alt." jerseys anymore. I was looking for the press release on their website but I can't find it and I am about to run out, but John McDonough felt that the Cubs should move back to their more traditional look by only wearing white w/ pinstripes at home. I actually thought that this decision was solely responsible for Carlos Zambrano's awful start to the season as, some of you might know, his contract stipulated that the Cubs would only wear the blue jersey when he pitched at Wrigley. (Look at his home stats this season for further proof that it's the jersey's fault).

As for the NL patch, on the Wrigley Field tour, our tourguide (who was wearing a Chicago Whales jersey!) noted that the patch has to do with the Cubs being a charter member of the NL as well as for the fact that the team's actual name is the Chicago National League Baseball Club. The "Cubs" moniker came much later and it's origins are disputed.

Rob

I actually thought that this decision was solely responsible for Carlos Zambrano's awful start to the season as, some of you might know, his contract stipulated that the Cubs would only wear the blue jersey when he pitched at Wrigley. (Look at his home stats this season for further proof that it's the jersey's fault).Rob

I don't think that was actually in any contract that he had, since I believe he's still on his first one, and he's been pitching fine in white. One run over nine innings?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually thought that this decision was solely responsible for Carlos Zambrano's awful start to the season as, some of you might know, his contract stipulated that the Cubs would only wear the blue jersey when he pitched at Wrigley. (Look at his home stats this season for further proof that it's the jersey's fault).Rob

I don't think that was actually in any contract that he had, since I believe he's still on his first one, and he's been pitching fine in white. One run over nine innings?

I feel confident saying that Zambrano does not have it in his contract that he has to wear the blue jersey. If you can prove otherwise, please do.

The Cubs used to let each starting pitcher pick what jersey to wear on days he pitched. Too many (IMO, and apparently John McDonough's) were picking the blue alt, so as the new team president he decided to take it away as an option this year.

And the lack of a blue jersey, of course, had nothing to do with his slow start. Zambrano failed to get a win until May 10 last season while wearing his favorite blue jersey every game.

The origin of the Cubs nickname may be disputed, but I've always heard it was given to the team by sportswriters in a year they had a particularly young team.

Finally, I think the NL patch is no longer on any jersey the Cubs wear. I believe someone said it above, but the BPs introduced this year don't have it anymore.

No, Zambrano is not in his first contract. He's actually currently on a one year $12.5 million contract and was making approximately $6.5 million for one year on his previous contract which, is the one where he supposedly made the demand that he not wear the white jersey. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a news story on it.

As for Zambrano not doing well because he can't win the blue jersey this year, I was kidding. Sorry if you mistook that for a serious comment, but if you did, you have to ask yourself... "Seriously? I seriously didn't realize that that was a joke?"

:blush:

The team is actually officially called "The Chicago National League Baseball Club" at least that is what is on the checks that they give out to their employees. I think that might have something to do with it.

Most teams used to be "The ______ League Baseball Club of __________." I think several still use it as their legal name.

I don't think that has anything to do with the sleeve patch.

The team is actually officially called "The Chicago National League Baseball Club" at least that is what is on the checks that they give out to their employees. I think that might have something to do with it.

Most teams used to be "The ______ League Baseball Club of __________." I think several still use it as their legal name.

I don't think that has anything to do with the sleeve patch.

Archived