Penguins Alternate in 1984-85?

Webhamster

I don't know why it posted blank... Here's the original post:

----------------------------------------------

I was looking at http://www.nhluniforms.com and under 1984-85 there is this image for Pittsburgh:

Penguins3.gif

I don't remember *ever* seeing that yellow alt. Does anyone know when/how it was used?

I like the look of it, but I wasn't around back then.

untitled-6.jpg

I don't know why it posted blank... Here's the original post:

----------------------------------------------

I was looking at http://www.nhluniforms.com and under 1984-85 there is this image for Pittsburgh:

Penguins3.gif

I don't remember *ever* seeing that yellow alt. Does anyone know when/how it was used?

I like the look of it, but I wasn't around back then.

I dig that look as well.... always did....

shame they chucked it for Robo-Pigeon, and thus, ruined their look from their most successful time....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Here's a pic of Lemieux I found from 1984:

lemieux1984_tall.jpg

So, there you have it.

By the way, that's hideously ugly IMO.

EDIT: Here's another one:

Mario84.jpg

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't BRIGHT Yellow. The gold cheez-wiz color in the mockup is a lot better.

philly.png

That looks terrible, but only because of the shade of yellow and because of the fact that they didn't go with a black helmet. Did anybody else use alternates between then and when half a dozen or so teams broke 'em out in the mid-90s?

lemieux1984_tall.jpg

So, there you have it.

Mario84.jpg

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't BRIGHT Yellow. The gold cheez-wiz color in the mockup is a lot better.

I agree, but it's so ugly that it's good the way it is!

untitled-6.jpg

lemieux1984_tall.jpg

So, there you have it.

Mario84.jpg

Yuck. Thanks for that, BTW. Must've been the fact that the only games I ever really saw in the early 80's were Toronto vs. x or Montreal vs. x on CBC that kept me from ever seeing them.

The skating penguin's yellow triangle background is more defined on the mock-up than on the Lemieux pics. The effect is somewhat similar to seeing the Miami Dolphins logo without its customary coral sun background.

MiamiDolphinsLogo.gif vs. dolphins_logo.jpg

Have there ever been uses of the skating penguin that did not contain a triangle background behind it?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Have there ever been uses of the skating penguin that did not contain a triangle background behind it?

The skating penguin has always been on a triangle, even when the colour scheme was predominantly blue.

And oh how I pine for the days when teams had a white home, a dark away, and that was it.

The skating penguin has always been on a triangle, even when the colour scheme was predominantly blue.

And oh how I pine for the days when teams had a white home, a dark away, and that was it.

You mean like, next year? ;)

I actually own the ccm re-release of this jersey. I belive they only wore it for their sunday games

Yes, that's right. They wore the yellow ones only on Sundays. They wore them up until Mario Lemieux's rookie season.

They still had their sleeve numbers up on the shoulders then instead of down on the arms where they moved them later on. They also used a font for the names on the back with serifs on them, changing to a non-serif font at the same time they moved the sleeve numbers and changed from heat pressed numbers to sewn on party way through the 88-89 season.

2254135960100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2727681140100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I'm not that big a fan of yellow ("gold", but gold gold is ok, like the vegas gold) as a primary color in the first place. And the yellow helmet really doesnt sit well with the eyes. If nothing else, though, it does show you how far uniforms, and jerseys specifically, have evolved since these pictures. Also, the bruins had a yellow alternate as early as the mid 90's through two seasons ago.

~UJ

Archived