SF 49ers

eRay

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a Lions fan, I don't think the black trim looks terrible, but it looks unnecessary and worse than the previous set. It looks decent on the road uniform though.

HA! don't even get me started on the Lions jerseys.

They completely blew it IMO. I can't believe I'm saying this...but I wish the Lions went more of the way that the Vikings or Cardinals went with the more modern uniform design opposed to taking an old uni style an adding black to make it look cooler.

As a Lions fan, I don't think the black trim looks terrible, but it looks unnecessary and worse than the previous set. It looks decent on the road uniform though.

HA! don't even get me started on the Lions jerseys.

They completely blew it IMO. I can't believe I'm saying this...but I wish the Lions went more of the way that the Vikings or Cardinals went with the more modern uniform design opposed to taking an old uni style an adding black to make it look cooler.

I disagree, I think the Lions jerseys look sharper now than they used to. And the Vikings/Cards Arena League-esque jerseys are a joke. Well.... maybe not for the Cards (it's not like they have a rich tradition anyway :P ), but I prefer the Lions jerseys to the Vikes or Cards. In fact I think the Lions jerseys are an example of how black can be added and be an upgrade. As for the black alts.... they suck. But the regular home and road set are fine IMO. And the same applies to the 49ers.... they make black work. Now if the Bears or Packers tried to do it..... it probably wouldn't work so well.

espnsig.gif

Im a lifelong Rams fan that grew up in the Bay Area, so I dont need to explain my feelings for the Niners. I love those old uniforms, and I associate those with Jim Everetts meltdown in the championship and the "same old Rams" era. I link the new ones with futility in San Francisco. I dont hate the new ones, but the way they use the black bothers me. i dont mind black for blacks sake (i like the Lions look as well as the old Jets), but this uniform seems too busy. the jerseys reminds me of those kids replica uniforms in the JC Penney Xmas catalog

the 49ers was the last great uniform change where there isn't a single element that bothers me. Even the new chargers ones thats almost as good has elements that bother me. The niners needed an update not an overhaul but just a modern update and they pulled it off with out going crazy with it like the vikings, falcons, cardinals, seahawks, bengals, bills did.

i know the black trim isn't popular with some folks, but if you take out the black trim like i have seen in some concepts, it makes the jersey seem like there is something missing. Red and Gold needs a trimmer to make it pop and balance out.

As for the cowboys, just overhaul them. they don't need black, royal blue, navy, silver, silver-green, gray in their color schme. Steam line it, give them a basic set colors and be done with it. oh and go with the cowboys faux-throwback alternate they wear. That thing is a thing of beauty compared to the 3000 shades of color they have.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I like the older uniforms better, but the new ones aren't too bad with two exceptions:

1. Get rid of the ridiculous extra oval around the helmet logo. WTF is that supposed to signify?

2. Remove the SF logo from the "sleeves" (I use the term loosely as the NFL has decided that true sleeves no long have a place on today's uniforms)

metslogo_215.gif

I like the older uniforms better, but the new ones aren't too bad with two exceptions:

1. Get rid of the ridiculous extra oval around the helmet logo. WTF is that supposed to signify?

2. Remove the SF logo from the "sleeves" (I use the term loosely as the NFL has decided that true sleeves no long have a place on today's uniforms)

Amen. that extra oval is already dated. What was with the mid to late 90s and the swooshing oval anyways. I'll add that i really like the niners newer colors, just not on the niners.

Amen...I think those are incredible...

Agreed. What gets me are the triple stripes on the sleeve and socks. Classy garb, and the team should be doing everything it can to reach back to those glory days and ignore everything that's happened for them over the past 10 years.

I like the current jersey over the old one. There was no gold, only red and white in the old one.

With that said, I'd like to see the current jersey with pants that have the wide stripes like the old pants had.

Speaking of the 49ers...I have a satin jacket (not Starter) that I bought for my wife back when we were dating in 1991 (she used to live there). Its all gold with the words "FORTY NINERS" on the back. Its in great shape too. I recently found it hangingin the back of our upstairs closet. Nice find...lol

I have one of these too ... except mine says 49ERS on the back ... it's a thing of beauty.

I'm also lucky enough to have a wool letterman style jacket with black leather sleeves and the new darker red which is one of favourite things I have ever purchased!!!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

The new ones are ok but seem like another example of black being added "just because." Thumbs down on that.

But the black wasn't added "just because," it was added because of the popularity of the 1994 throwbacks...

nope it would be a bad idea. those uniforms were not very popular when they were wearing them and even won in them. the current uniform is more popular with the vast majority of 49ers fans despite up until perhaps this season, the team hasnt been all that sucessful wearing them.

its just a case of being attached to the team that wore the uniform and not the uniform itself. put it to rest allready.

NO. FULL. TIME. THROWBACKS. FOR. THE. FORTY. NINERS.

sink in yet? no? well SINK IN!

were they so unpopular when the fans flipped out as the team tried to introduce new uniforms during their dynasty run, resulting in the "one day helmet"?

A fan revolt over the Niners changing to a ridiculous looking helmet logo does not disprove ICS's point. Just because the fans opted not to adopt something that looked like :censored: doesn't mean people wear misty-eyed over the Walsh Era gear.

Moreover, what the Niners wear now is a perfect update of those Walsh Era unis. They kept many of the best elements of those uniforms and tweaked the rest to form a tremendous contemporary uniform. If only every team could transition to the present while paying homage to the past so well.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived