SF 49ers

eRay

You can read the story on this page.

Apparently the Niners are thinking about going retro for all 16 games this season to honor Bill Walsh. Thought this would be an interesting thing to see, and a very welcome change to their unis. Of course, this sounds like its not a done deal yet, so it might not happen, but we can talk about it anyway. If this has been posted before then my search didn't find it and I'm sorry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope it would be a bad idea. those uniforms were not very popular when they were wearing them and even won in them. the current uniform is more popular with the vast majority of 49ers fans despite up until perhaps this season, the team hasnt been all that sucessful wearing them.

its just a case of being attached to the team that wore the uniform and not the uniform itself. put it to rest allready.

NO. FULL. TIME. THROWBACKS. FOR. THE. FORTY. NINERS.

sink in yet? no? well SINK IN!

nope it would be a bad idea. those uniforms were not very popular when they were wearing them and even won in them. the current uniform is more popular with the vast majority of 49ers fans despite up until perhaps this season, the team hasnt been all that sucessful wearing them.

its just a case of being attached to the team that wore the uniform and not the uniform itself. put it to rest allready.

were they so unpopular when the fans flipped out as the team tried to introduce new uniforms during their dynasty run, resulting in the "one day helmet"?

I say they look 50 times better than what they wear now. They did a horrible job of incorporating the black in their current uniforms. I don't see how they could be more popular with the fans than the throwbacks.

MegatronSig2.jpg

The current uniforms are fine. There's no need to wear the throwbacks all season. Monday Night opener with the salute to Walsh, definitely. Like the person who wrote the article stated:

In fact, the 49ers of 2007 should feel honored to wear the same kind of uniforms as those worn by players who made San Francisco the Team of the '80s

Especially since they aren't quite up to par with that team yet.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

These ones?

12188502.jpg

montana_joe2.jpg

Joe_Montana_Huddle_NEW_Ebay.jpg

Of course i grew up a Cowboys & Steelers fan...so as a cowboys fan, i grew up sorta disliking the 49ers, but the jerseys were awesome.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

The uniforms are so much better now. And to emphasize what I saying, this team is far from wearing something great. For that matter, those teams in the 80's I wish they wore the current style.

There's nothing wrong with the current look.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think they should go throwback , but just for the season because the the Uniforms show to different era's in niner history this is simply what evolved after the Championships , But to wear the scarlet & gold would be a honor to the 80 Super Bowl Championship Teams & Bill Walsh & the 2007 SF 49ers should be honored to wear them .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I agree with Shark. Although I believe that the new unis are a little bit overly busy, those older uniforms were one of the worst uniforms all-time.

Those older helmets should be a poster-child as to how Gray facemasks DON'T WORK.

Awful.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The 49ers current uniform is absolutely beautiful. The shade of red is perfect, and the black is tastefully done. I hated them when the first unveiled them, with the white pants and cheesy Reebok font (kind of a hybrid of Champion and standard block) but the tweaks they made were nearly perfect. The only thing I'd change is the logo on the sleeve - there really isn't a need for it. Other than that, they're perfect. The old ones look.... well, old.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they looked a lot different today than they did back then, I could see them maybe having a point. But they don't. They look very similar, so changing to retro for the whole year would be pretty dumb. I don't think most average fans would even notice.

I like the current jersey over the old one. There was no gold, only red and white in the old one.

With that said, I'd like to see the current jersey with pants that have the wide stripes like the old pants had.

Speaking of the 49ers...I have a satin jacket (not Starter) that I bought for my wife back when we were dating in 1991 (she used to live there). Its all gold with the words "FORTY NINERS" on the back. Its in great shape too. I recently found it hangingin the back of our upstairs closet. Nice find...lol

were they so unpopular when the fans flipped out as the team tried to introduce new uniforms during their dynasty run, resulting in the "one day helmet"?

It wasn't a change in uniform that caused the fans to flip out, it was a change in helmet logo. The logo wasn't going to say "SF", it was going to say "49ers". THAT'S why there was such a negative reaction.

This uniform update was a defininte upgrade.

It's where I sit.

I like the current jersey over the old one. There was no gold, only red and white in the old one.

With that said, I'd like to see the current jersey with pants that have the wide stripes like the old pants had.

That's the thing: Those gold pants with the wide red-white-red stripes were awesome. Made the uniform. Kind of didn't matter what the shirt looked like as long as those pants and the 49ers helmets were in play. The helmets and the pants were perfectly matched, giving the whole uniform great visual balance. The fact that the shirts and the socks were also perfectly balanced with each other was just gravy.

I understand that tastes will differ and opinions are subjective. And I'm not a 49ers fan, and I don't much like red-dominant uniforms. But there are universal standards of beauty that transcend mere opinion. I don't actually much enjoy the music of J.S. Bach, but I'm nonetheless capable of appreciating the extraordinary greatness of his compositions. Or, for example, there are some movies that deal with very uncomfortable subjects that I would rate as easily among the top few dozen greatest movies ever made, but that I nonetheless never want to see again. Whether or not you think a particular uniform is pretty to look at, you can still judge a uniform in terms of whether it's a good design.

And on that score, it has always seemed to me to be a fundamental expression of universal aesthetic principle that this:

SPGASUS080.jpg

Is one of the greatest sports uniforms of all time. Not my personal favorite uniform ever, but a near-perfect uniform nonetheless. Everything in the uniform is in perfect balance. Simple, yet quite subtle in its visual harmonies. Looked great standing still, yet the lines of the uniform always worked to complement the grace and power of the player in motion. The tones and relative areas of the colors are perfectly matched, and this holds true for the white shirts as well. The whole uniform is instantly recognizable as the 49ers -- but so is each element of the uniform individually. You can see a picture of a player from the shoulders up, no helmet, and you know instantly what his team is. You can see a locker-room photo of a shirtless player sitting in his game pants, his socks down, and you know instantly what his team is. Back in the day, it was never possible to confuse even the tiniest fragment of a 49ers player on the edge of a photo, say, a knee jutting into the pic, for any other team's player. In every way this uniform does exactly what a uniform is supposed to do, and it does it to perfection.

So if the 49ers mean to restore their 1989 uniform for the season, good on them.

20082614447.png

For the record, I love this uniform. It has class, style and legacy...

99~Ronnie-Lott-Posters.jpg

However, this uniform...

p1_gore_presswire.jpg

...I love more. I think they got the balance of crimson, gold and black just right. Personally, I'd like to see a hybrid of past and present. Maybe keep the current colors, and interlocking SF, but put then into the old oval?

That's the thing: Those gold pants with the wide red-white-red stripes were awesome. Made the uniform. Kind of didn't matter what the shirt looked like as long as those pants and the 49ers helmets were in play. The helmets and the pants were perfectly matched, giving the whole uniform great visual balance. The fact that the shirts and the socks were also perfectly balanced with each other was just gravy.

See - there's one statement in here that's NOT subjective. The helmets and pants were deliberately unmatched - they used two completely different colors to represent them:

SanFrancisco49ers_FRC_1989_SOL.jpg

And, what's even worse, the "Classic Throwback" uniforms are even MORE off:

SanFrancisco49ers_AUC_9999_SOL.jpg

I think both versions of these should go down in the Hall Of Shame of bad uniform design.

There's nothing wrong with the old unis. There's nothing wrong with the new unis either. I'd love to see them use the throwbacks a few times. If they do, they should have their opponent wear throwbacks as well.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

It wasn't a change in uniform that caused the fans to flip out, it was a change in helmet logo. The logo wasn't going to say "SF", it was going to say "49ers". THAT'S why there was such a negative reaction.

This uniform update was a defininte upgrade.

Wasn't it going to say 49ers as opposed to SF as a bullying tactic to get a new stadium? Isn't that why the Broncos took the D off there helmet? (I am not positive about this, but it seems familiar)

Archived