"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

Missouri avenges their earlier loss to Oklahoma, in San Antonio (NOT Norman, Oklahoma). West Virginia beats up on Pitt (though due to intense rivalry, only win by, maybe, 30 pts.) Setting up:

Missouri Tigers vs West Virginia Mountaineers for the BCS Championship!

But, before looking ahead that far let's enjoy the moment:

capt.294afc45ff6a4730a66c9b6c9f866159.missouri_kansas_football_mojd111.jpg

Rock Chalk What?

M-I-Z Z-O-U!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys can go ahead and enjoy your happiness right now while I sit in this corner on my own wallowing in my own self pity.

How in the blue hell do you let those country bumpkin bastards from Waz-Spew win the game, huh?!? That's a massive disgrace to university and to the U-Dub fanbase to let those worthless cretins win that game on Huskie soil.

The season is now officially ruined in my eyes. But.. that doesn't mean they can't throw a monkey wrench in a certain BCS buster's plans... *Glares at the Hawaii fans*

So...???

1.Mizzou (Oklahoma BXII Champ game)

2.WVU (PITT)

3.OSU (Season Over)

4.LSU (Tennessee in SEC Champ game)

5.Kansas (Season Over)

6.Georgia (Season Over)

7.VT (BC in ACC Champ game)

8.Oklahoma (Mizzou in BXII Champ game)

9.USC (UCLA)

10.Florida (Season Over)

11.ASU (UofA)

12.BC (VT in ACC Champ game)

13.Hawaii (Washington)

14.Oregon (Oregon State)

15.Tennessee (LSU in SEC Champ game)

16.Illinois (Season Over)

17.Texas (Season Over)

18.Virginia (Season Over)

19.Clemson (Season Over)

20.USF (Season Over)

21.Wisconsin (Season Over)

22.Cincy (Season Over)

23.BYU (@ San Diego St)

24.Boise State (Season Over)

25.Auburn

saBS.png

So...???

1.Mizzou (Oklahoma BXII Champ game)

2.WVU (PITT)

3.OSU (Season Over)

4.LSU (Tennessee in SEC Champ game)

5.Kansas (Season Over)

6.Georgia (Season Over)

7.VT (BC in ACC Champ game)

8.Oklahoma (Mizzou in BXII Champ game)

9.USC (UCLA)

10.Florida (Season Over)

11.ASU (UofA)

12.BC (VT in ACC Champ game)

13.Hawaii (Washington)

14.Oregon (Oregon State)

15.Tennessee (LSU in SEC Champ game)

16.Illinois (Season Over)

17.Texas (Season Over)

18.Virginia (Season Over)

19.Clemson (Season Over)

20.USF (Season Over)

21.Wisconsin (Season Over)

22.Cincy (Season Over)

23.BYU (@ San Diego St)

24.Boise State (Season Over)

25.Auburn

Looks good. Assuming, the higher ranked teams all win next week (which would drop Oklahoma), although it wouldn't make a difference because Mizzou and West Virginia would then play in the title game, I still believe teams like Ohio State, Kansas, and Georgia should be passed by teams playing games still (USC, perhaps Arizona State) or at least those who win a Conference Championship (such as LSU, or Virginia Tech. That's IF they win) in the final Polls the following week. I don't think should be allowed to move up like that when you're not even playing games. I know Ohio State's already won the Big 10, but why is their schedule already over? I believe you gotta pay the games to make the climb.

Here they are:

AP Top 25

1. Missouri (45) 11-1 1,604

2. West Virginia (20) 10-1 1,574

3. Ohio State 11-1 1,469

4. Georgia 10-2 1,354

5. LSU 10-2 1,269

6. Virginia Tech 10-2 1,266

7. Kansas 11-1 1,217

8. USC 9-2 1,212

9. Oklahoma 10-2 1,191

10. Florida 9-3 1,029

11. Hawaii 11-0 991

12. Boston College 10-2 909

13. Arizona State 9-2 826

14. Tennessee 9-3 746

15. Illinois 9-3 719

16. Clemson 9-3 553

17. Texas 9-3 435

18. Oregon 8-3 419

19. Wisconsin 9-3 398

20. Cincinnati 9-3 343

21. Brigham Young 9-2 329

22. Virginia 9-3 288

23. Auburn 8-4 226

24. Boise State 10-2 197

25. South Florida 9-3 190

USA Today Poll

1. West Virginia (37) 10-1 1,467

2. Missouri (17) 11-1 1,454

3. Ohio State (6) 11-1 1,383

4. Georgia 10-2 1,232

5. Kansas 11-1 1,161

5. Virginia Tech 10-2 1,161

7. LSU 10-2 1,134

8. Oklahoma 10-2 1,126

9. USC 9-2 1,073

10. Hawaii 11-0 958

11. Florida 9-3 898

12. Boston College 10-2 861

13. Arizona State 9-2 756

14. Illinois 9-3 674

15. Tennessee 9-3 654

16. Wisconsin 9-3 493

17. Clemson 9-3 469

18. Texas 9-3 417

19. Brigham Young 9-2 327

20. Oregon 8-3 316

21. Auburn 8-4 271

21. Virginia 9-3 271

23. Boise State 10-2 247

24. Cincinnati 9-3 146

25. Arkansas 8-4 145

Now just gotta wait on the BCS Standings.

In FCS news..

#1 UNI sneaks past UNH in a thriller at the UNI Dome.

#2 McNeese St was upset by the passing juggarnaut that is the Eastern Washington Eagles

#3 Montana was upset by the triple option of Wofford

#4 Southern Illinois wins a cake walk over Eastern Illinois

Appalachian St. beats JMU at the gun, as the Dukes fumble in FG territory with less than 15 seconds left in the game. 28-27.

Delaware thrashed DSU. 44-7

UMass defeats a pesky Fordham team by two touchdowns.

Richmond beats Eastern KY, and keeps the OVC on their winless streak in the playoffs

Next week:

Delaware @ UNI

UMass @ Southern Illinois

Eastern Washington @ Appalachian State

Richmond @ Wofford

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

From the top.

Starting off with conference leaders...

ACC leader is #6 Virginia Tech, with a better conference record than #11 Boston College.

Big East champion is #2 West Virginia.

Big Ten champion is #3 Ohio State.

Big XII leader is #1 Missouri, with a better conference record than #9 Oklahoma.

Pac-10 leader is #8 Southern California, by head-to-head over #13 Arizona State.

SEC leader is #7 Louisiana State, with a higher ranking than #14 Tennessee.

As Hawaii is now ranked #12, they are at the moment guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl. Georgia is also currently guaranteed a spot, as they are #4 in the BCS and #3 is not an at-large team.

Our pool of eligible at-large teams are #5 Kansas, #9 Oklahoma, #11 Boston College, and #13 Arizona State. #10 Florida and #14 Tennessee are not listed because Louisiana State and Georgia are guaranteed spots in BCS games, and a conference may only have two teams in the BCS. Since it is possible to take all at-large teams from the Top 14 in the BCS standings, the BCS at-large pool will not be expanded to the Top 18.

Obviously, we must take #1 Missouri and #2 West Virginia for the National Championship Game.

By contractual obligation, #3 Ohio State and #8 Southern California go to the Rose Bowl, #6 Virginia Tech goes to the Orange Bowl, and #7 Louisiana State goes to the Sugar Bowl.

The Fiesta Bowl gets the first selection of at-larges, as compensation for losing #1 Missouri to the NCG. Despite Kansas's stellar record, I suspect they might take #9 Oklahoma instead, as Oklahoma is a proven draw.

Next, the Orange Bowl. They take #4 Georgia.

The Fiesta Bowl has the next selection, and take the hometown #13 Arizona State.

Finally, the Sugar Bowl would be required to take #12 Hawaii, as somebody must take them.

In review:

Rose: #3 Ohio State (Big Ten Champion) v #8 Southern California (Pac-10 Leader)

Sugar: #7 Louisiana State (SEC Leader) v #12 Hawaii (At-Large/AQ)

Fiesta: #9 Oklahoma (At-Large) v #13 Arizona State (At-Large)

Orange: #6 Virginia Tech (ACC Leader) v #4 Georgia (At-Large/AQ)

NCG: #1 Missouri (Big XII Leader) v #2 West Virginia (Big East Champion)

LvZYtbZ.png

Orange: #6 Virginia Tech (ACC Leader) v #4 Georgia (At-Large/AQ)

Despite these two teams meeting last season in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, I think the Orange Bowl would love to have this matchup.

I want to see Georgia play in a BCS bowl that they haven't played in lately, since the Sugar is out of reach. It seems like they're heading for the Orange, but I wonder if the Rose Bowl would take Georgia if one of the top two lose and Ohio State plays for the National Championship.

I guess Georgia needs these things to happen to possibly head to Pasadena:

1. Missouri or West Virginia to lose this weekend, so Ohio State moves up to the NC Game.

2. Tennessee to defeat LSU in the SEC Championship.

3. Boston College to defeat Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship.

4. USC to defeat UCLA.

5. Arizona State to defeat Arizona.

6. Hope that LSU and Virginia Tech don't drop out of the Top 14 of the final BCS Standings after their losses. Georgia needs to keep Illinois from reaching the Top 14 so they can't become eligible.

Obviously, Mizzou and West Va. are the title game as of now. If both were to lose (knocks on wood for Mizzou), then here's how I see the "back-up" situations.

Next 3 teams in waiting: Ohio State, LSU (leapfrogs Georgia by way of winning SEC title while Georgia is idle), and Virginia Tech (leapfrogs Kansas and Georgia by way of winning ACC Title while Georgia and Kansas are idle and not playing for their respective Conference titles.)

And of course, that's just assuming those 3 teams win as well. In theory, there are a lot of teams that have a chance of playing for the BCS title. What a f***ing crazy @$$ season this has been.

Go Mizzou! ^_^

Well...I'm glad Callahan is gone. Oh...and hopefully that's the end of the Big XII Arena Football League with his firing.

If they do, it's a travesty. As far as I'm concerned, based on their performance last night, Hawaii at least deserves a shot at it, if they run the table.

If Hawaii runs the table, they should get into the BCS games...but not a title shot. That team is completely different away from the islands...to the extent that I wonder if the outcome would be reversed if they played at Boise.

Even if they get into one of the games...they would get choke slammed by their opponent, because the game in continental US + actually good opponent + mediocre Hawaii defense + nobody's going into prevent against their midmajor foe a la Oklahoma after the 2007 Fiesta Bowl = massive blowout win for Hawaii's nameless BCS opponent.

That said...with Nebraska missing a bowl again, I am going to (rare occurrence for me) throw my complete support behind the team from my home state.

I have therefore also become, for the only time in my natural life, a huge fan of a football team from Washington State. GOOOO HUSKIES!!!!

-----------------------------

On a Missouri-West Virginia BCS title game...

1) Oh the poor, poor couches.....*shakes head*

2) PLAY-OFF!!! PLAY-OFF!!!

3) LMAO at the Fox network execs....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow. Missouri and West Virginia in the National Championship game? Has there ever been a less appealing matchup?

At least that game has a chance to be somewhat entertaining. I still think if OSU or LSU got into the NC game instead of one of those two, it would be a blowout (in the other team's favor if they're playing OSU, or in LSU's favor.) The only better matchup would be if VT were to get into the 'ship, and obviously they'd play the sentimental role of underdog because of the incidents in the early Spring. So yeah, as long as OSU and LSU don't get in, I'll probably enjoy the game more. ^_^

Well...I'm glad Callahan is gone. Oh...and hopefully that's the end of the Big XII Arena Football League with his firing.
If they do, it's a travesty. As far as I'm concerned, based on their performance last night, Hawaii at least deserves a shot at it, if they run the table.

If Hawaii runs the table, they should get into the BCS games...but not a title shot. That team is completely different away from the islands...to the extent that I wonder if the outcome would be reversed if they played at Boise.

Even if they get into one of the games...they would get choke slammed by their opponent, because the game in continental US + actually good opponent + mediocre Hawaii defense + nobody's going into prevent against their midmajor foe a la Oklahoma after the 2007 Fiesta Bowl = massive blowout win for Hawaii's nameless BCS opponent.

Hawaii is a different team on the mainland because they don't leave the Island's until after classes on Friday so with the 5+ hour plane flight and time change they end up getting to the hotel at like 3 am then have to turn around and play that afternoon. If Hawaii makes a BCS Bowl(there could still be some shennigans in the final voting) they would get to the bowl site about 10 days before the game giving them alot of time to adjust.

If Hawaii makes a BCS Bowl(there could still be some shennigans in the final voting)
Good to see that I'm not the only one who sees this coming, potentially. I mean, I could see some of the conferences asking their coaches to please tank Hawaii, in the efforts of trying to garner an at-large bid for a conference team.

LvZYtbZ.png

Hawaii is a different team on the mainland because they don't leave the Island's until after classes on Friday so with the 5+ hour plane flight and time change they end up getting to the hotel at like 3 am then have to turn around and play that afternoon. If Hawaii makes a BCS Bowl(there could still be some shennigans in the final voting) they would get to the bowl site about 10 days before the game giving them alot of time to adjust.

So merely 60 points will be scored upon them as opposed to 70+.....

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know what's funny? I checked Hawaii's schedule and I see they have yet to allow 70 or even 60 points. Even in their road games (in italics).

Northern Colorado W 63-6

Louisiana Tech W 45-44

UNLV W 49-14

Charleston Southern W 66-10

Idaho W 48-20

Utah State W 52-37

San Jose State W 42-35

New Mexico State W 50-13

Fresno State W 37-30

Nevada W 28-26

Boise State W 39-27

They did what they were supposed to do. They have beaten everyone on their schedule. No one else can say that. Boise State didn't stand a chance against powerful Oklahoma last year. Ohio State was going to destroy Florida last year.

Give 'em their shot. They won't be any worse than the ACC Champ.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hawaii only beat Lousiana Tech by 1 point and went into overtime against San Jose State...jus' sayin

Everyone except Hawaii has lost. Hell, LSU has lost twice as #1..."jus' sayin"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hawaii also has one game left to play, though.

This could all be mooted then.

I stand by my 60 statement, though....Boise State's the only school on that list that has a credible offense, and had the misfortune to play Hawaii in the islands.

"Island" Hawaii is a BCS team, absolutely, on offense and defense. "Mainland" Hawaii struggles against weak opponents defensively and has to outscore them to win.

Unfortunately, the Hawaii Bowl isn't a BCS game, so the Warriors could be in a lot of trouble.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived