Champion number font renaissance?

Sodboy13

Watching Northwestern/Northeastern, NW has switched from Crillee to the Champion block number font. Adidas seems to be implementing this one more and more, with Houston and Temple also in on it. Any other teams using it? I know the font has its fans here, but for me, I always associate it with low quality and cheapness.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Watching Northwestern/Northeastern, NW has switched from Crillee to the Champion block number font. Adidas seems to be implementing this one more and more, with Houston and Temple also in on it. Any other teams using it? I know the font has its fans here, but for me, I always associate it with low quality and cheapness.

DAMN,I was just about post that very topic w/ pics through the marvels of modern technology.

(And as a added bonus you get see what the BigTen Network scoreboard bar looks like)

nu1.jpg

I was watching a bit of the Tulsa/UL Monroe game, and ULM's also using the champion numbers. a pity the one team that should have those numbers doesn't.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Count me in the 'low quality and cheapness" camp. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I still can't forgive Champion for those Bills and Jets horrible 1994 "throwback" uniforms.

Those look good to my eyes. Odd that the 7s on the helmets don't match what's on the jerseys.

Well, neither do the 2s. Different block font going on up on the helmet.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw that too, MJ- first thing I noticed when #22 scored the TD in the 4th quarter. His numbers were pretty clearly Stahl's pro block, but the others looked more like the normal font used for football jerseys (the name of which escapes me at the moment)

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I approve - bring back the Champion font! Call me a sentimentalist fool whose opinion has been rosied by adolesence, which took place in the early-90s, but I love this font almost as much as I LOVE the USC Trojans font (my favorite of all-time). :D

More likely than not, the Adidas teams that are wearing the old Champion block on their uniforms are wearing jerseys that they ordered last season. That was when ACO/Champion began making the football uniforms for Adidas. However, ACO has begun using a standard full block now for the Adidas jerseys instead of the Champion block.

Well it is becoming more apparent that this is an Adidas thing,because Tennessee State got switched over from Russell to Adidas this season and welll.......

bilde2.jpg

bilde.jpg

I know the font has its fans here, but for me, I always associate it with low quality and cheapness.

You got that right.

Archived