Wichita "AA" team name poll

Ez Street

The finalists have been selected. Now is your chance to vote for the nickname of Wichita's next baseball team.

Which name do you pick for the new team?

Spirit

Sky Kings

Citations

787's/Dreamliners

Lightning

Wham

River Cats

Mustangs

Air Caps

Dust Devils

http://www.kansas.com/658/

CONTEST RULES

1. Anyone may cast unlimited votes on their choice of team name from the top 10 names provided.
  2. One winner of a prize package from the Wichita Thunder and the new baseball team will be chosen at random from all votes cast for the name that is chosen for the baseball team.
  3. While anyone can vote, employees and relatives of employees of The Wichita Eagle, the Wichita Thunder, KICT T-95 radio and KAKE-TV Channel 10 are not eligible to win the prize drawing. Furthermore, the winner of the prize package must reside in one the following counties in Kansas: Sedgwick, Butler, Harvey, Sumner.
  4. The prize package is non-transferable. Any decisions to allow transfer of the prize package from the winner to another person will be made solely by the Wichita Thunder management.
  5. Voting starts at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2007 and ends at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14.
  6. The final selection of the team name is at the sole discretion of the Wichita Thunder management, and they are under no obligation to select the name that receives the most votes.
  7. The team name and contest winner will be announced on or after Monday, Sept. 17, 2007, at a press conference (date, time and location to be determined).

Those names suck. I figured they'd come up with Arkansas River Valley Wildcatzzz, but some of these are close.

Wham?

Now how long till a George Michael joke there?

The finalists have been selected. Now is your chance to vote for the nickname of Wichita's next baseball team.

Which name do you pick for the new team?

Spirit

Sky Kings

Citations

787's/Dreamliners

Lightning

Wham

River Cats

Mustangs

Air Caps

Dust Devils

I could live with with Sky Kings, provided a good logo and color scheme are provided (no purple, no black for the sake of black, no vegas gold). Sky Blue, silver, maybe some good-old-fashioned yellow versus "vegas gold."

My worry is that people will go with Lightning for the obvious tie-in with the Thunder. And then the Thunder wouldn't be able to resist using their colors, black, purple, blue and silver. And that would just be bad.

Spirit, Citations, 787's ( :blink:) , Wham, River Cats (or any other "Cat") and Dust Devils are right out. :cursing:

"Dreamliners," for some reason, would work for me. (It would probably be shortened to either "Dreams" or "'Liners" in popular use.)

Air Caps would be a clever play on "Air Capital."

Mustangs? Meh.

Um, what happened to the Wranglers?

They moved to Springdale, Arkansas and became the Northwest Arkansas Naturals.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would go with Sky kings, for the love of God dont be the Wichita Wham

Are you kidding? This is the PERFECT name... I can see it now: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go Boot Night, Andrew Ridgely Night, and thanks to George Michael's past indiscretions a whole new take on the term "Knothole Gang."

There's also going to be "Choose Life" night, "Faith" night, "Freedom" night, elf boots night, fingerless gloves night (even on the field!!), neon sunblock lipgloss night, and my personal favorite, Frank Sinatra Night.

And left a great name behind. I loved their caps; shame to see the name not renewed. I wonder: Would the Mustangs be about horses, cars, or airplanes? If it's a fighter plane reference, then I'm totally for it. Do the Billings Mustangs still exist? I also always liked their logo, but I'm not sure if there's room on the Plains for two Mustangs baseball teams.

20082614447.png

And left a great name behind. I loved their caps; shame to see the name not renewed. I wonder: Would the Mustangs be about horses, cars, or airplanes? If it's a fighter plane reference, then I'm totally for it. Do the Billings Mustangs still exist? I also always liked their logo, but I'm not sure if there's room on the Plains for two Mustangs baseball teams.

They're far enough apart in geography and level of play that there would be no concerns there.

As for oddball's question:

So what is wrong with calling them the Wranglers?

My only guess is that MiLB or the Wranglers/Naturals are holding onto the name to prevent the new team from using it. And I doubt that the new team does want to, anyway.

tri city dust devils

billings mustangs

sacramento river cats

all taken

is this going to be a minor league team with an affiliation?

American Association is an Independent League.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

tri city dust devils

billings mustangs

sacramento river cats

all taken

is this going to be a minor league team with an affiliation?

American Association is an Independent League.

Which shouldn't make Wichita want to dump the old name. Elmira kept its name (Pioneers) after the New York-Penn League team left. El Paso did, too.

Others have not (Albany-Colonie, Edmonton, Calgary, New/West Haven).

Archived