Padres "sand" road unis

DHester23

Does anyone know how many times they have actually worn them this season? It seems like I rareley see them. When they first unveiled them in 2004, I had to adjust the color on my TV to make sure it was right, I can't stand those.

I love them because they are so unique, Which is becoming more rare in mlb these days. I also made a thread about this awhile back. And for the record they have worn them 11 times this year if im not mistaken. http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=51944

I like them, too, and I have from the beginning. Close enough to gray that it isn't too offensive to tradition, but still something unique. The Marlins used to wear a green-tinted shade of gray until a few years ago, and I would like to see more teams go that route. Within reason, though. I am quite greatful the Graphite Jays' dark road unis never saw any game action.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

What else have they worn on the road if they only have worn them 11 times this season? Or are we just talking about the jersey?

They usually wear blue on the road. I saw them vs. the Mets wearing those jerseys on ESPN about a month back, I personally love them.

But the pants are still sand, right?

One of the reason they usually wear blue on the road is because they don't make the khaki jersey in CoolBase. They choose to go with the CoolBase jerseys most of the time during when it is hot out.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

One of the reason they usually wear blue on the road is because they don't make the khaki jersey in CoolBase. They choose to go with the CoolBase jerseys most of the time during when it is hot out.

Ive heard quite a a few say its because of the CoolBase theory, And while that me be true to a point, They also have worn them on days where the weather was quite cold or raining, They are dawning them today against the brew crew, Only because the brews are sporting there similar blue tops. So now its 12 times. :P

I like them, too, and I have from the beginning. Close enough to gray that it isn't too offensive to tradition, but still something unique. The Marlins used to wear a green-tinted shade of gray until a few years ago, and I would like to see more teams go that route.

I agree. I like the khaki and I like the old Marlins (and Devil Rays?) gray-green. I think the Cubs and White Sox grays are different also (from each other) but I'm not sure I've ever got confirmation of that. The Cubs is more of a flat gray, while the Sox seem to have a hint of blue to it. I remember when making some All-Star jerseys the company called the Sox color "baseball gray."

I like them, too, and I have from the beginning. Close enough to gray that it isn't too offensive to tradition, but still something unique. The Marlins used to wear a green-tinted shade of gray until a few years ago, and I would like to see more teams go that route.

I agree. I like the khaki and I like the old Marlins (and Devil Rays?) gray-green. I think the Cubs and White Sox grays are different also (from each other) but I'm not sure I've ever got confirmation of that. The Cubs is more of a flat gray, while the Sox seem to have a hint of blue to it. I remember when making some All-Star jerseys the company called the Sox color "baseball gray."

This is one of my pet peeves with the MLB. The official style guide sheets do indicate road uniform colors, but they're not always true to what the team actually wears (see Washington Nationals).

I believe that these Pantone colors - along with all of the process simulation colors, textile colors, threads, etc. - should be listed on the guides in an official capacity. To me, it doesn't make sense NOT to.

If the "urine" unis are so "kewl" and unique, don't you think they would have been worn more that a dozen times out of 80 some games? I think blue is the road and "urine" are the alts.

KISSwall09.jpg

I think we've already beaten the Sand Jersey subject to death in another thread.

I still think that the design of the uniforms and not the Khaki color are what makes them so awful to look at. That 'San Diego' wordmark needs to be redesigned because its so unappealing. Even simple block letters would have been better.

BTW, I still don't see how the color 'khaki' looks anything like urine....atleast not MY urine. Maybe you guys have to take your multi-vitamins less. ^_^

But the pants are still sand, right?

Strange But True...the road uniforms are actually "Khaki" - a different color than the Sand color in their unis:

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

EDIT: Good Lord...I actually used the incorrect form of "their"...!

Is that really the colour of the khaki roads?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Ive heard quite a a few say its because of the CoolBase theory, And while that me be true to a point, They also have worn them on days where the weather was quite cold or raining, They are dawning them today against the brew crew, Only because the brews are sporting there similar blue tops. So now its 12 times. :P

The COOLBASE theory is correct. The reason that teams end up wearing COOLBASE jerseys in cold or rainy weather on the road is that most teams aren't going to go to the effort to bring along a second set of uniforms unless they have to. And the only reason they would "have" to is that the team they are facing wears a similar alt. The Padres wore the khakis in NY against the Mets, but the only reason they took the khakis on the trip is that the Mets have dark alts.

The Astros had to do the same thing when they went to Arizona earlier this season. They didn't wear their red brick road jerseys (the only COOLBASE set they have and almost exclusively what they've worn on the road since May), but instead wore the grey tops.

Incidentally, the Astros also wore the grey tops against the Reds in Biggio's final road game at his request. The guy who writes the News & Notes for the Astros at the Houston Chronicle incorrectly said it was the first time they had worn the grey tops all season (not that I noticed that little incorrect factoid immediately or anything...).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Incidentally, the Astros also wore the grey tops against the Reds in Biggio's final road game at his request. The guy who writes the News & Notes for the Astros at the Houston Chronicle incorrectly said it was the first time they had worn the grey tops all season (not that I noticed that little incorrect factoid immediately or anything...).

It WAS the first time they had worn them in September, so they had to order new uniforms for one game for all the September call-ups.

Archived