Wild finish in the National League this weekend

HedleyLamarr

Seven teams are still alive, fighting for four spots, as the season winds down into the final series of the season. The only thing that's known is that the NL Central champion will be playing on the road in Game 1 of an NLDS.

The three teams that led their divisions for most of the season are in danger of not making the postseason (New York, Milwaukee, San Diego), and there's the possibility of the NL sending 4 teams in that weren't there a season ago.

If that's not crazy enough, four teams can tie with 89 wins (New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, and either Arizona or Colorado (assuming Colorado holds on tonight)). I sure hope someone knows all these coinflip-tiebreaking scenarios, otherwise there's gonna be lots of extra games being played before the playoffs start.

I think the Phillies own the tiebreaker over New York because of head-to-head. Other than that, I've got no clue who's got the tiebreaking advantage, or who would play where to decide the Wild Card....

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Division goes to H2H tiebreakers, the Wild Card has no tiebreakers as they are requred to play play-in game no matter if teams are tied.

The Rockies hold the tiebreaker against the Padres and if they win the series against the D'Backs then they have the tiebreaker over them as well...

On another note, if the Rox hold on tonight, it'll be 11 straight and the longest winning streak in the MLB this season (their 10 already is however).

I don't think anyone wants to play the Rockies right now or even in the first round of the playoffs, best Rox team ever and a rarity that us Rox fans can be excited about baseball in September.

Division goes to H2H tiebreakers, the Wild Card has no tiebreakers as they are requred to play play-in game no matter if teams are tied.

The Rockies hold the tiebreaker against the Padres and if they win the series against the D'Backs then they have the tiebreaker over them as well...

I know that the divisions are decided by head-to-head matchups and there's no in-season tiebreaker for the Wild Card (unless the two that are tied are from the same division, if I remember right).

What I meant was, who won the coinflips for these respective matchups:

Mets-Diamondbacks

Mets-Padres

Mets-Rockies (Colorado won this coinflip, I think)

Phillies-Diamondbacks

Phillies-Padres

Phillies-Rockies

Diamondbacks-Padres

Diamondbacks-Rockies

Padres-Rockies

And who holds the tiebreakers for the division races?

Phillies > Mets

Cubs > Brewers (Someone confirm this)

Rockies > Padres

Padres ? Diamondbacks

Rockies ? Diamondbacks

OK, let's make it simple.

If the Brewers and Cubs tie for the NL Central, they'd play a one-game playoff at Wrigley Field.

If the Phillies and Mets tie for the NL East, they'd play a one-game playoff at Citizens Bank Park on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Phillies would win the East and the Mets would be the wild card.

If the Diamondbacks and Padres tie for the NL West, they'd play a one-game playoff at Chase Field on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Diamondbacks would win the West and the Padres would be the wild card.

If the Rockies and Padres tie for the NL West, they'd play a one-game playoff at Petco Park on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Rockies would win the West and the Padres would be the wild card.

If there's a two-way tie for the NL Wild Card, then the following matchups would occur on Monday.

Colorado would host games against any potential opponent.

New York would host games against any potential opponent except Colorado.

San Diego would host games against any potential opponent except Colorado and New York.

Philadelphia would host a game against Arizona.

Arizona would play on the road for any two-way tie for the Wild Card.

If the Phillies and Mets tie for the NL East lead, and the loser would be tied for the Wild-Card with one of the Padres, Diamondbacks, or Rockies, then the Phillies and Mets would play for the NL East title at Citizens Bank Park on Monday. On Tuesday, the loser would play the team they are tied with for the Wild Card. Philadelphia would host Arizona and travel to Colorado or San Diego, whereas the Mets would host Arizona and San Diego and travel to Colorado.

A similar situation occurs if the Padres and either the Diamondbacks or Rockies tie for the NL West lead, and the loser would be tied with one of the Mets or Phillies in the Wild Card. In that case, either Arizona would host San Diego, or San Diego would host Colorado, for the NL West title on Monday. Then, on Tuesday, the loser would face the team they are tied with for the Wild Card. Philadelphia would host Arizona and travel to Colorado or San Diego, whereas the Mets would host Arizona and San Diego and travel to Colorado.

If the Phillies and Mets tie for the NL East lead, and there is a tie for the NL West lead between the Padres and either the Diamondbacks or the Rockies, then on Monday, the Phillies and Mets would play for the NL East title at Citizens Bank Park, while the Padres would either host Colorado or travel to Arizona to contest the NL West. On Tuesday, the two losers would face each other for the Wild Card. Philadelphia would host Arizona and travel to Colorado or San Diego, whereas the Mets would host Arizona and San Diego and travel to Colorado.

If either of the Phillies or Mets are tied with the Padres and either the Diamondbacks or Rockies for the Wild-Card, then a three-team mini-tournament would be played between the three tied teams. In each case, head to head record would be used to see which team has first choice of options.

Regardless of the teams involved, the Rockies or Diamondbacks would have the first choice, of playing Monday (and potentially Tuesday) at home, or playing Tuesday on the road. The Padres would have the second option (UNLESS both the Phillies and Rockies are involved in the tie, in which case the Phillies would have the second option.) The remaining team would play on the road on Monday.

If the Phillies and Mets tie for the NL East, and the loser would tie both the Padres and either the Diamondbacks or Rockies for the NL Wild Card, then the Phillies and Mets would play for the NL East on Monday at Citizens Bank Park. The loser would play in a three-team playoff, with head to head record used to see which team has first choice of options.

Regardless of the teams involved, the Rockies or Diamondbacks would have the first choice, of playing Tuesday (and potentially Wednesday) at home, or playing Wednesday on the road. The Padres would have the second option (UNLESS both the Phillies and Rockies are involved in the tie, in which case the Phillies would have the second option.) The remaining team would play on the road on Tuesday.

Now, since all of that is sorted out...

One National League Division Series will pit the eventual NL Central champ against the Division champ from the division that the Wild Card team came from. The Wild Card team will play the remaining Division champ. (e.g. If the Mets win the NL East, Diamondbacks win the NL West, and the Padres win the wild card, then the NL Central Champ would play the Diamondbacks, while the Padres play the Mets.

LvZYtbZ.png

If the Brewers and Cubs tie for the NL Central, they'd play a one-game playoff at Wrigley Field.

If the Phillies and Mets tie for the NL East, they'd play a one-game playoff at Citizens Bank Park on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Phillies would win the East and the Mets would be the wild card.

If the Diamondbacks and Padres tie for the NL West, they'd play a one-game playoff at Chase Field on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Diamondbacks would win the West and the Padres would be the wild card.

If the Rockies and Padres tie for the NL West, they'd play a one-game playoff at Petco Park on Monday, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Rockies would win the West and the Padres would be the wild card.

If the Diamondbacks and Rockies tie for the NL West (only possible if the Rockies lose tonight) on Monday, they'd play a one-game playoff at Chase Field, PROVIDED that the loser would not automatically be the wild card. If they would, then the Rockies would win the West and the Diamondbacks would be the wild card.

If there's a two-way tie for the NL Wild Card, then the following matchups would occur on Monday.

Colorado would host games against any potential opponent.

New York would host games against any potential opponent except Colorado.

San Diego would host games against any potential opponent except Colorado and New York.

Philadelphia would host a game against Arizona.

Arizona would play on the road for any two-way tie for the Wild Card.

(more explanation to come as we go, so please do not quote this post yet)

Forget about the Mets its over they choked they have the worst Manager in baseball and he will be back next year turning the page tipping his cap and sipping the champagne

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Forget about the Mets its over they choked they have the worst Manager in baseball and he will be back next year turning the page tipping his cap and sipping the champagne

Chill.

The.

FU*K.

Out.

It's only the Mets man, it's not like it's a real team. Calm down.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

*Very long post illustrating all scenarios baleeted*

You call that simple? :P

-------------------------------------

Tank....all I have to say is that if you let the Cardinals in their current state (even with staff "King" Joel Pinero) shut you out on the road, your team doesn't deserve to make the playoffs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I guess the suicide watch has officially begun.

The Mets have two things going for them:

1. The Phillies are playing the Nationals, who managed to just sweep the Mets and who play pretty much everyone tough, and

2. The Mets are playing the Marlins, who have a history of ending their season three games before it officially ends (they just show up and lay down... unless they're playing the Phillies).

This will be a fun weekend. Imagine if the Brewers and Cubs were in Wild-Card territory? The tie-breakers alone would last until Halloween!

philly.png

Forget the Mets they choked their Manager is an idiot and their GM rather pose for GQ then improve the Bullpen

Let's all blame Willie and Omar because obviously without them the Mets would be in first place every year.

Um, Mr. Tank?

Do you think we might be able to keep this thread about the possibilities in the NL pennant races, and not about the failing of the Mets?

:)

Apparently not.

Forget the Mets they choked their Manager is an idiot and their GM rather pose for GQ then improve the Bullpen

Great weekend for baseball. My guess is we'll still be playing games on Monday to determine the final results.

BB52Big.jpg

WOE IZ ME! I'M A METZ FAN! OH NOES!

Seriously, Frank... enough.

I offered to trade him our 3rd place in the AL East for the past 10 seasons (almost) for his back-to-back first place seasons but he wouldn't budge. I tell ya, there's nothing like listening to a man complain about how much better his team is than yours. It's like Bill Gates bitching to a homeless guy about his stocks being down 3%.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

WOE IZ ME! I'M A METZ FAN! OH NOES!

Seriously, Frank... enough.

I offered to trade him our 3rd place in the AL East for the past 10 seasons (almost) for his back-to-back first place seasons but he wouldn't budge. I tell ya, there's nothing like listening to a man complain about how much better his team is than yours. It's like Bill Gates bitching to a homeless guy about his stocks being down 3%.

Post of the day!

philly.png

Archived