Suspended 20 games...and hasn't even played a game int he bigs

zer0dotcom

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer

September 28, 2007

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Flyers rookie Steve Downie was suspended 20 games by the NHL on Friday for his hit on Ottawa's Dean McAmmond that gave the center a concussion and knocked him out of action indefinitely.

McAmmond was taken off the ice on a stretcher in the second period of Tuesday's preseason game. Downie received a match penalty and was automatically suspended until Friday's hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Downie has not played an NHL game with the Flyers and was expected to start the season in the minor leagues. The 20-year-old said after the game he thought it was a clean hit.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said on Thursday that Downie was remorseful.

"He's a good young man. He's a good hockey player," Holmgren said. "Part of what makes him a good player is his aggressiveness and his willingness to fight for things.

"The incident in Ottawa the other day, he was doing what he normally would do there. He was going to finish his check and, well, it really was an ugly incident because of the nature of the injury."

McAmmond had lost possession of the puck and was skating behind the Philadelphia net when he was sent to the ice by Downie's flying body check at 2:39 of the second period. Downie's feet left the ice before the violent collision.

Senators team doctor Don Chow immediately went to McAmmond's aid even as players from both teams squared off in the aftermath with Ottawa enforcer Brian McGrattan going after Downie.

McAmmond did not move his hands or his feet while he was strapped onto the stretcher and taken off the ice.

Downie called McAmmond and apologized, but Ottawa coach John Paddock called for Downie to be suspended "for a long time."

Downie has played in the OHL the past few seasons and has been suspended several times for 'unsportsmanlike behaviour', such as punching an opposing centre in the back of the head right after a face off.

I for one am glad to see that the league is beginning to take action against viscious hits like this, and is perhaps being pro-active by looking at Downie's record from the OHL. Personally, I don't believe a guy like Downie has any place in the NHL, and if they really want to market themselves as a league of anything other than violent Neanderthals, he can't be a part of it.

is hitting a part of hockey? Damn straight. it is in Football too, but in both sports there is a proper, honerable way to play the game, and other actions that increace the danger of injury to unacceptable levels. Hopefully this trend will continue and the NHL will take a closer look at hits that cause head injuries and other injuries to ensure the safety of it's players

They shouldn't look at just the hits that cause injury though, and that's the problem I have.

I'm tired of seeing suspension based on injury (not saying that's the case here).

There's a proper way to hit that sometimes results in an unlucky injury, and there's an improper way that has a high chance to but does not always result in an injury.

The proper hits should not be punished just because someone is hurt, and the improper hits should always be punished evenly (which isn't to say you can add on for track record and what not) regardless of the extent of an injury if one even occurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtcGrjyS1k...ted&search=

Looks like he lead with the elbow/shoulder. Did some leaving of the ice too. Probable intent to injure. I'd say a suspension is warranted.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like he lead with the elbow/shoulder. Did some leaving of the ice too. Probable intent to injure. I'd say a suspension is warranted.

Not just "some" leaving of the ice -- he clearly jumped into the guy.

If I were the commissioner, I'd ban him from the league. I don't watch SportsCenter, but presumably, that will be the hockey clip of the week. I wouldn't want that as the image of my league, so I think a harsh penalty is in order; there's no room for that kind of play in the NHL. At least not if it wants to be taken seriously.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Violence has always selled in hockey. Is it the main draw? No, but you get a fight or a big hit, you get people standing up, you get excitement.

Now was what this gentleman did wrong? Absolutly. But the suspention is enough for the infraction. Banning him from the league is just not an option.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think the NHL was going to give him a 25-game suspension but if you go see the schedule for the Senators, Downie's suspension ends one day before Philly and Ottawa play for the first time since last tuesday, and yours truly has tickets :D

I think it's a pretty good punishment, I mean the guy:

1-Charged

2-Left His Feet

3-Elbowed

4-Hit him in the head

5-Had the intent to injure

1 and 5 can prettymuch be the same thing though, but I am extremely excited for that november game :D

I hope they pla Downie...

Hi, how are you?

This is why I hate the NHL these days.

Case in point: Cam Janssen - 3 games - regular season - obvious premeditation with intention to hit Kaberle; took 3 to 4 second stride in the direction of said player who was behind the play and had given up the puck with enough time for Janssen to change his direction.

Steve Downie - 20 Games - Preseason - debatable footage as to if Downie had jumped into the hit or kind of "flew" into McAmmond. Can be viewed either way AND the puck was not even a second out of his posession before the hit occured.

What is with the discrepancy between punishments? Is it because McAmmond has a concussion history and the guy who knocked him cold wasn't even a rookie? Is it because the NHL feels it has screwed up many times before in the past with giving out appropriate punishments and trying to make up for it by turning a troubled player into an example??

I think it is rediculous that he gets that kind of suspension which, when compared to other hits, doesn't really look AS BAD. He didn't charge a man who had obviously gotten rid of the puck a good time before nor did he obviously go in with his elbow extended towards his head. Now before you call me bias because I am a Leafs fan and have vocally stated many times I have hated the Senators, keep in mind I like both Downie (Saw him play many times as a Pete) and McAmmond fan (a guy who for years I brought onto my NHL 2K team rosters). I am not saying it was a good hit, I am not saying it was a clean hit, what I am saying is that I disagree with the punishment handed down by the league. If you compare this suspension to others which had resulted from 'dirtier' hits, you will notice that this is unsually long and applied to a case which compared to others, isn't as bad.

I think this suspension length is a joke. If Downie can get 20 games, why wasn't Janssen out for longer than 3 games from a much dirtier hit? Hell, if you really want to get into it, why wasn't Pronger out longer in the playoffs from his crack at McAmmond's concussion lovin' head or even Alfredsson from his deliberate attempt to injure slap shot at Scott Niedermayer? The league's rulings have become a joke, and this really helps underline that fact.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I don't have a problem with the result leading to a longer suspension if a hit is dirty. If you do something truly cheap/dangerous, you should be endangering your career just as much as you are the other guy's. Of course, if the NHL is into precedence, then 17 games should be the max for anything not involving a gun.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

the Cam Janssen hit was clean it was only because there was going to be a riot in Toronto is they didn't do anything so they gave him three games to appease the blind masses in Toronto.

sB9ijEj.png

the Cam Janssen hit was clean it was only because there was going to be a riot in Toronto is they didn't do anything so they gave him three games to appease the blind masses in Toronto.

Believe whichever lie you want to believe to help you sleep better at night. I know you'd be singing a different tune if it was a Devil's player who was hit in the same fashion.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

If you think that hit was one bit clean, do not watch hockey anymore. Forever. Please.

1. You have two and a half seconds (not an exact measurement) to throw a hit after the opposing player gives up the puck. There is discrepancy here if a. the player could stop or turn around and b. if it is after the player gave up the puck it can not be a big hit.

2. Check to the head.

3. Intent to injure.

4. Injury occured.

That is about the same thing as what happened to McAmmond, except where the hit was, and how they hit the player. As a hockey player who has been elbowed to the head and knocked out while not carrying the puck, please, do not ever :censored: ing say that :censored: again.

Believe whichever lie you want to believe to help you sleep better at night. I know you'd be singing a different tune if it was a Devil's player who was hit in the same fashion.

I have no doubt homerisim is influencing my thought process. However, i don't think that hit is anywhere near as dirty of a hit as is being portrayed. 20 games or more?!?! You can't be serious in thinking the Janssen hit was a 20-gamer. Those hits have been happeneing in hocky since the the 1920's. A one game suspention? I can see that, it was a hit that didn't need to be made, and was excessive. I thought 3 was a little much. But saying the Flyers' rookie hit wasn't as bad as Janssen's is just ludicrous.

sB9ijEj.png

did the fact this happened in preseason have any bearing on the penalty?

IE, seems excessive to be playing that hard in a meaningless game. If a hit like that happened in the regular season, a game that matters would the penalty have been as harsh?

I don't watch hockey much if at all. But comparing it to football, I think if you see helmet to helmet contact in a regular season game, there will be a fine. But if that same exact play happened in the preseason, the penalty would be much more harsh.

Just a thought.

I have no doubt homerisim is influencing my thought process. However, i don't think that hit is anywhere near as dirty of a hit as is being portrayed. 20 games or more?!?! You can't be serious in thinking the Janssen hit was a 20-gamer. Those hits have been happeneing in hocky since the the 1920's. A one game suspention? I can see that, it was a hit that didn't need to be made, and was excessive. I thought 3 was a little much. But saying the Flyers' rookie hit wasn't as bad as Janssen's is just ludicrous.

See, if Downie was a guy who, in the NHL, had made some hits like that before I would understand the 20 games. Considering the only bad rap he has is from juniors and has yet to play an NHL game, using him as an example is uncalled for. Wait for a repeat offender to slip up and use them, not some guy who can't even be called a rookie. I just dont and agree with this punishment whatsoever.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

See, if Downie was a guy who, in the NHL, had made some hits like that before I would understand the 20 games. Considering the only bad rap he has is from juniors and has yet to play an NHL game, using him as an example is uncalled for. Wait for a repeat offender to slip up and use them, not some guy who can't even be called a rookie. I just dont and agree with this punishment whatsoever.

Ok, to counter, why wait for someone to get a reputation? I don't agree with the suspension either, but this is the way the NHL is going to go. THey want to send the message good and loud, that ANY hit they see as excessive or attempting to cause injury, they will deal with harshly. That message is gonna stick with this kid, i guarentee

sB9ijEj.png

Ok, to counter, why wait for someone to get a reputation? I don't agree with the suspension either, but this is the way the NHL is going to go. THey want to send the message good and loud, that ANY hit they see as excessive or attempting to cause injury, they will deal with harshly. That message is gonna stick with this kid, i guarentee

Who knows, if you take the edge away from Downie, then you won't have Downie. Having seen him play in person a few times (and each of those times just returning from a suspension) he is a very fun player to watch. He has hands which can score goals and size which can knock most players on their ass and make him someone you don't want to mess with. The only problem with him, from what people who knew him told me, is that usually when he goes a little "nuts" on the ice and live dangerously is when people cross the line in a poor manner and make fun of him for the fact he has little to no hearing in one of his ears which resulted from a crash he had when he was younger in which he saw his dad die right before his eyes.

So, as you can see, there are some things you just dont talk about but some people do find it necessary to do so and when that has happened, he has done some real questionable things in the OHL to retaliate. As for the McAmmond hit, he was just trying to make an impact, show people what he can do, but he must have gotten to into the moment when he decided to go up instead of just into McAmmond.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

You can't possibly be saying that

was clean, can you?

If you are, it's a very dirty hit. Kaberle had gotten rid of the puck for a full 3 seconds before Janssen went after him. Janssen has plenty of time to advoid hitting Kaberle, and it's not even as if Janssen is extremely close to Kaberle either.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

he didn't leave his feet until he hit him... if you pause the video right before he hits him you see his blades are touching the ice until he hits him... yeah it was high but mcammond isn't tall and downie isn't either im not saying it was clean but its not as dirty as everyone says

spacer.png

Archived