UFL logo

Wellsandt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gothamite:

Wrong again. Frankfurt was a sell out this year. Dusseldorf filled 87% of their seats the past years before. So that's many empty seats? Guess you didn't see the Falcons-Giants game. Again, its like I have stated many times, unless you know what you are talking about - and have been there to see it, then you shouldn't comment about it, period.

Hey Gothamite:

Wrong again. Frankfurt was a sell out this year. Dusseldorf filled 87% of their seats the past years before. So that's many empty seats? Guess you didn't see the Falcons-Giants game. Again, its like I have stated many times, unless you know what you are talking about - and have been there to see it, then you shouldn't comment about it, period.

1. Atlanta is a terrible sports market. I've said that before.

2. A regular season game is not the same as a championship game.

And please, do not make this personal. That doesn't have any place here - keep it on-topic.

Hey Gothamite:

1. Atlanta is a terrible sports market. I've said that before.

2. A regular season game is not the same as a championship game.

And please, do not make this personal. That doesn't have any place here - keep it on-topic.

Not to mention that the power of the NFL and its popularity here in America is due in large part to two key components: 1. top level talent and 2. unparalleled television coverage/contract. Add to that the fact that ALL teams share a chunk of the afore mentioned television coverage revenue. That means that not so great football markets like Atlanta or St. Louis can still field teams in half empty stadiums and not go horribly broke and bankrupt in a matter of two years. The WLAF had neither of those two key components.

Takes a lot of cheese to field a football team and make a profit. The WLAF or NFL Europa didn't exactly have what it took to make a consistent profit....so it was canned. PERIOD. Remember, just because you see a bunch of fans in the seats doesn't necessarily mean the team is doing well FINANCIALLY....or the LEAGUE for that matter. A team, or in this case a league is only as strong as its weakest member....so maybe Frankfurt was doing okay, but some of their other buddies were hurting. Can't have a league with only one team.

One Problem Folks:

If you had been to Europe and see games there you would know that there is indeed a market for the sport. The NFL clearly fumbled the ball. Unless you know - you've talked to the fans, you know all the stuff that went on behind the scene - the rumors planted by owners who didn't want the league, all the conflicts of interest, incompentent leadership, that dooms a business more than anything. The MLS is a very smart league. So is the AFL. They sought fans. They talk to fans. Those leagues listen. Why did fans not show up for NFL E games? They were ticked off by the constant idiocy of the NFL and the league's arrogance.

But then again you folks wouldn't know that . . . because . . . . you . . . weren't . . . THERE!!!!

But then again you folks wouldn't know that . . . because . . . . you . . . weren't . . . THERE!!!!

I've never been to Wembley Stadium, so I guess it must not exist? :D

I've never been to the moon...so can't tell you if its made of cheese.

Reminds me of a joke:

Two idiots are walking on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City. One of the idiots says to other, "Hey whats closer? The moon or Florida?"

The other idiot says: "DUH! THE MOON!....I can't SEE Florida from here!"

Okay, okay I'll lay off of the joke telling ^_^

...reminds me of the Family Guy episode when Peter gets kicked off the Patriots and has to play for the London Silly Nannies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZfOwZSRZQ

Best touchdown celebration ever!

Oh please no! Sorry but I prefer the Dr.Pepper shuffle featured in their ad. Plus I really don't like Family Guy ^_^ .

I call Prague, Des Moines, and Chad.

One Problem Folks:

If you had been to Europe and see games there you would know that there is indeed a market for the sport. The NFL clearly fumbled the ball. Unless you know - you've talked to the fans, you know all the stuff that went on behind the scene - the rumors planted by owners who didn't want the league, all the conflicts of interest, incompentent leadership, that dooms a business more than anything. The MLS is a very smart league. So is the AFL. They sought fans. They talk to fans. Those leagues listen. Why did fans not show up for NFL E games? They were ticked off by the constant idiocy of the NFL and the league's arrogance.

Agreed with respect to WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa. The NFL screwed the pooch with it by consistently overspending, consistently overestimating their appeal, and consistently anticipating that as time wore on in each market the game would draw more and more fans to the stadia. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Want to build American football in Europe? Do it in small soccer stadia - those with a capacity of 10,000 to 20,000, tops. Require each team to have at least 20% of its roster consist of players from each team's nation. Have salaries that allow a team to survive and thrive. Have ticket prices that entice someone to give the league a look. The WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa crowd did virtually none of these.

nav-logo.png

One Problem Folks:

Agreed with respect to WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa. The NFL screwed the pooch with it by consistently overspending, consistently overestimating their appeal, and consistently anticipating that as time wore on in each market the game would draw more and more fans to the stadia. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Want to build American football in Europe? Do it in small soccer stadia - those with a capacity of 10,000 to 20,000, tops. Require each team to have at least 20% of its roster consist of players from each team's nation. Have salaries that allow a team to survive and thrive. Have ticket prices that entice someone to give the league a look. The WLAF/NFL Europe/NFL Europa crowd did virtually none of these.

Works for the CFL.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

One Problem Folks:

Works for the CFL.

The CFL has the added problem of having the NFL beamed into Canadian homes each week, in effect providing indirect competition for viewing audience and hindering attendance. No such issues in Europe, where NFL games are on tape delay if aired at all. American football would be a niche sport there, like soccer is here, if it's properly marketed.

nav-logo.png

One Problem Folks:

Works for the CFL.

The CFL has the added problem of having the NFL beamed into Canadian homes each week, in effect providing indirect competition for viewing audience and hindering attendance.

...IN CERTAIN MARKETS. If there's a Bills game on, Argo fans stay home in droves.

I know of no time that a Bomber or Rider game has ever had their attendance affected by an NFL game being on at the same time, unless it was too cold, or the team wasn't exactly a dervish on the field.

Hell, even in a blizzard, the Bombers can get at least 23,000 people in the stadium, regardless of what night it is or what's on TV.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived