Logos that can transcend sports

Coast2CoastAM2006

I got to looking at various logos and started thinking which logos would look good in sport and work with the other major sports.

For example, a hockey logo that would look good on a hockey sweater, baseball hat or football helmet with out having to make a single edit or look too cluttered or two simplistic for the sport.

some that i think would work are the Texans, Astros, Cowboys, Arizona Cardinals, Falcons and Bruins. obviously there are more.

Conversely the yankees NY would look a bit simplistic for a hockey sweater and the st.l cardinals would look cluttered on a football helmet or wierd on a hockey sweater.

just curious as to what you think?

(can we not make this about what is your favorite logo or what changes need to be made to it unless involved in the topic at hand.)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're right on that, surprising though it may be.

I'd also vouch for the Packers' "G" - it looks good on baseball caps, and it's similar enough to the Canadiens' logo that I think it would look good on a sweater.

You're totally right about the Green Bay G. I'm a Vikings fan -- or was until Dennis Green wrung the last remaining drops of purple pride from my soul -- and I hate the Packers with a vengeance, unless they're beating the Redskins, at which point I say good on ya, Packers, and I have not yet seen a use of the Green Bay G that doesn't look pretty darn good. It's an extraordinarily versatile logo.

Staying in the dairy state for a moment, I'd add the U of W football-helmet W to the list, as well as the Brewers' cap logo (both the M and the M on the Wisconsin outline -- the wheat underline scales well at larger sizes). Also the Patriots flying Elvis logo and the Minnesota Wild bear-head logo. I think the Diamondbacks' snake-D cap logo would actually work better on a hockey sweater or a football helmet than it does on a big-league baseball cap.

20082614447.png

I'm completely with you on the D-Backs' D, but not sure I agree with the Patriots' logo. It's awfully horizontal to work well on a baseball cap - the best cap logos are either roughly square (Cubs, Yankees) or more vertical (Mets, Dodgers, Giants, Angels). There are a few horizontal logos that work (Orioles), but those are the exception, and aren't as aggressively horizontal as the Motion Elvis.

Same with the Broncos' logo, which I love on a helmet but seems misplaced when attached to a baseball cap. The sense of motion just doesn't work as well side-to-side as it does facing forward.

I think the Detroit Lions is a great logo for anything, except a baseball cap.

Lots of college letters (Wisconsin "W", Minnesota "M", UNC "NC", etc.).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm completely with you on the D-Backs' D, but not sure I agree with the Patriots' logo. It's awfully horizontal to work well on a baseball cap - the best cap logos are either roughly square (Cubs, Yankees) or more vertical (Mets, Dodgers, Giants, Angels). There are a few horizontal logos that work (Orioles), but those are the exception, and aren't as aggressively horizontal as the Motion Elvis.

Same with the Broncos' logo, which I love on a helmet but seems misplaced when attached to a baseball cap. The sense of motion just doesn't work as well side-to-side as it does facing forward.

I think we disagree on this one. I think it works well because it flows well with most of the visual weight of the logo on the head of the patriot. I do understand why you'd say that it doesn't work. It does help that the stripes are red and not a neutral color or else it would be way too horizontal for a hat. The red kind of breaks things up a bit.

http://www.nflstore.net/products/ner416.jpg

Despite my great disdain for this team....Here's one logo that DEFINATELY works on all fronts. As you said with the Packer 'G' logo, ovals are a perfect solution for all kinds of gear.

http://dndstopnshop.com/images/products/bi...rcleLogoHat.jpg

As we've all discussed before, the Buffaslug logo actually looks pretty good on a football helmet. It even kinda looks like it was designed for a football helmet.

It only looks bad above because the colors are messed up. Any logo will look bad if you mess up the colors.

I hope you guys aren't insinuating that the Bills go with a Buffaslug logo in place of their current look.

Seriously, The Buffaslug isn't really THAT bad, it just looks bad on a hockey jersey for a team named the SABRES. Other than that, its actually somewhat iconic.....well....not really, maybe 'distinctive' is more like it.

Archived