Joe Torre Done With Yankees

bosox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Russa is staying in St. Louis. Its just a matter of hiring a GM. Gammons has reported a 3 year deal on the Mike and Mike show and of course this report in the Post-Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...C7?OpenDocument

So no La Russa in NYC who I don't think would be a good fit anyway. He's had some issues with the press in St. Louis, which although they can be tough when it comes to the cardinals, its nothing like NYC. Honestly when you've managed the Cardinals, although the Yankees have more mystic, I can't think there is a personal challenge to an older manager at that position. Plus, why follow Torre AGAIN? If it were me and I wanted a change of scenery, to challenge myself I'd manage in Tampa Bay or Kansas City or similar.

Anyway, I'm betting the Yankees hire Mattingly or Girardi. Girardi was who I was hoping the Cardinals would get if La Russa didn't come back, well, him or Oquendo.

Torre in St. Louis would be interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

LaRussa's return, if that ends up being the case, is the best scenario for the Cards of course.

Sadly my Pirates are screwing up yet another managerial search. Instead of searching for a Buck Showalter, Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa, they're talking about Joel Skinner. Joel Skinner? Jesus Christ...

nav-logo.png

LaRussa's return, if that ends up being the case, is the best scenario for the Cards of course.

Sadly my Pirates are screwing up yet another managerial search. Instead of searching for a Buck Showalter, Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa, they're talking about Joel Skinner. Joel Skinner? Jesus Christ...

Year sixteen of the five-year rebuilding plan...

BTW, who's Joel Skinner?

(^^^ I think that right there might be a microcasm of the Pirates' issues.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is typical of the Yankees organization. Many a classy guy with the Yankees has been ditched.

Casey Stengel got fired by Dan Topping.

Yogi Berra got fired twice, first by Topping (after leading the Yanks to the 1964 World Series), then by Steinbrenner.

Roger Maris got traded to the Cardinals for that ever-famous Charlie Smith. Maris provided leadership for the Cards in two World Series appearances while Smith basically turned into no more than a trivia answer.

At least Dick Howser had the good sense to leave the Yankees after managing them in the 1980 season.

BTW, who's Joel Skinner?

You mean former Pirates catcher Joel Skinner?

BTW, who's Joel Skinner?

Yeah, the one who caught for about a week or so...

nav-logo.png

BTW, who's Joel Skinner?

Yeah, the one who caught for about a week or so...

Okay, so the cat used to play for the Pirates. (Even if only for a week or so...) So is that what makes him an endearing candidate for the Pirates brass? I know how adamant this place is about bringing in and elevating people with "Pittsburgh ties"...but that don't always work. Look at Mike Tomlin. Dude ain't got a singular tie to Pittsburgh, except that he was a DB coach while at Tampa Bay under Tony Dungy, who was a cornerback with the Steelers in the '70s. But um uh...I mean, well...man, you know what--I don't know. I'll just wait and see how this whole thing shakes out.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Okay, so the cat used to play for the Pirates. (Even if only for a week or so...) So is that what makes him an endearing candidate for the Pirates brass? I know how adamant this place is about bringing in and elevating people with "Pittsburgh ties"...but that don't always work. Look at Mike Tomlin. Dude ain't got a singular tie to Pittsburgh, except that he was a DB coach while at Tampa Bay under Tony Dungy, who was a cornerback with the Steelers in the '70s. But um uh...I mean, well...man, you know what--I don't know. I'll just wait and see how this whole thing shakes out.

I'm opining quite the contrary - the Pirates need to go as far outside their own system as possible.

My point is that the Pirates desparately need to get a name manager, no matter the cost, and frankly no matter the end result, as a means of showing what fans the team has left that it's going to make a serious effort at winning. A Tony LaRussa/Joe Torre/Buck Showalter shows such a commitment. A Bruce Tanner/Joel Skinner hiring, well, doesn't.

nav-logo.png

I'm opining quite the contrary - the Pirates need to go as far outside their own system as possible.

My point is that the Pirates desparately need to get a name manager, no matter the cost, and frankly no matter the end result, as a means of showing what fans the team has left that it's going to make a serious effort at winning. A Tony LaRussa/Joe Torre/Buck Showalter shows such a commitment. A Bruce Tanner/Joel Skinner hiring, well, doesn't.

Didn't work when the Rockies hired Leyland -- all that came of that was a seemingly disinterested manager managing in a disinterested city. You've got to hire a manager that's going to work well with a young team... I'm not sure Joe Torre is the man for the job.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't want La Russa as manager, they ran Torre out because of "under achievement" and you can't get a bigger under achiever than La Russa.

You've gotta be kidding me. La Russa got way more out of this year's crap sandwich than anyone else could've. There was no excuse for the Cardinals to have contended as late as they did, but they did because the team is managed well. Tony La Russa has consistently gotten his teams to the postseason. That's not underachieving.

There's one excuse...the entire division was beyond horrible this year. The Cardinals would indeed have been out of it in May if they were in any other division. Maybe June because of LaRussa...

My philosophy on LaRussa is that I would be happy to have him managing the Cardinals 11 months of the year. The twelfth...with the exception of 2006...somebody else would have been nice.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about former Pirate catcher and current Yankees first base coach (and potential candidate for the Yankees job) Tony Pena. He's got some name recognition, has ties to the organization and can work with a young team 2003 Royals where he was AL manager of the year.

Archived