Joe Torre Done With Yankees

bosox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want La Russa as manager, they ran Torre out because of "under achievement" and you can't get a bigger under achiever than La Russa.

Bobby Cox :-P

I'd like them to get Joey G.

We'll see.

P.S. here's a question: Do you think if the Sox lose in the LCS, that they fire Francona and hire Torre as a "fu*k you" to the Yankees? I know it seems very unlikely, but with the way these both organizations really hate eachother, as shown in the past, it could happen...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nah. Francona's untouchable, at least for a few more years, because he brought the trophy home in 2004.

The Yankees made a mistake here. They low-balled an offer to Torre in an effort to get him to eat some crow, but instead Torre, a man of dignity, told them to stick it. Now the Yankees are going to likely enter a rebuilding mode of sorts: new manager, replacing a healthy portion of their roster from 2007, etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Yanks take a hit in 2008 to try and make a run in 2009.

Whether he ever manages again though, and without change to my opinion on the Yankees as an organization (which actually, is quite high), I'm now a Joe Torre fan.

nav-logo.png

P.S. here's a question: Do you think if the Sox lose in the LCS, that they fire Francona and hire Torre as a "fu*k you" to the Yankees? I know it seems very unlikely, but with the way these both organizations really hate eachother, as shown in the past, it could happen...

At first I thought the same thing... but baseball gods always made repeating things, Torre will have the same end of Stengel: managing a National League team.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Torre should sit out a season, cover games for Fox or TBS, and then take the Rays manager position when Joe Maddon gets canned during or at the end of '08...

OK, so maybe I'm dreaming, but anythings possible.

The manager isn't the problem in Tampa.

Heres something that I found annoying on the local news they followed Torre by helicopter from the airport to his house when he got back to NY.

If he had a severed head in his trunk and was being followed by the police, I'd say the helicopter was warranted. If not, let the poor man drive in peace.

The headline writers in New York are getting lazy. The Post and Daily News both had the same headline on the front page. Your telling me they each couldn't come up with their own original witty headline for what, based on media coverage, has to be one of the most historic events in countries history. ^_^

The Post:

front101907.jpg

The Daily News:

gal_frontpage_1019.jpg

Well, if LaRussa ends up leaving the Cards, I would personally love to have Torre back as the Cards manager. Sure he didn't do too well in the 90's, but now he's wiser and knows a lot more.

I think it was a great move on his part, and I hope he finds success where ever he goes, unless he goes to another NL Central team :P

I doubt Torre will want to replace LaRussa. If he's just now leaving a situation where the media was on his neck constantly while he was trying to helm a poorly built team, why would he want to go to another one.

Torre's a HOF manager, but methinks that a second Torre tenure would be about as successful as his first, simply because the Cardinals have multiple roster holes that need addressing that they show a general reluctance to address.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While highly unlikely, I would love to see that.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The headline writers in New York are getting lazy. The Post and Daily News both had the same headline on the front page. Your telling me they each couldn't come up with their own original witty headline for what, based on media coverage, has to be one of the most historic events in countries history. ^_^

If we equated media coverage with true history, in 250 years Paris Hilton will be better known than George Washington.

Great googly moogly.

nav-logo.png

If we equated media coverage with true history, in 250 years Paris Hilton will be better known than George Washington.

Great googly moogly.

The sad part is...she and Lindsay Lohan's dumb ass probably already are more well-known than the dudes whose faces end up on our most common currency notes... <_<

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The sad part is...she and Lindsay Lohan's dumb ass probably already are more well-known than the dudes whose faces end up on our most common currency notes... <_<

Yeah, but it'd be so much easier to make it rain if they printed money with Lindsay Lohan's ass on the bills instead of Washington and Lincoln...

:blink:

*ducks punch*

*runs away*

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Yeah, but it'd be so much easier to make it rain if they printed money with Lindsay Lohan's ass on the bills instead of Washington and Lincoln...

*ducks punch*

*runs away*

How the hell a dude from JERSEY gon duck a punch and run away? Come on, Michael...don't make me quote Common on you! ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

*ducks punch*

*runs away*

How the hell a dude from JERSEY gon duck a punch and run away? Come on, Michael...don't make me quote Common on you! ^_^

Remember that apparently no one from Jersey wants to live there, so maybe it's just an excuse to run away to another state...

nav-logo.png

Remember that apparently no one from Jersey wants to live there, so maybe it's just an excuse to run away to another state...

...about the only other place I could think of my boy VitaminD running to would be back to columbia-cloaked Chapel Hill.

(Or back to Vegas, perhaps... :D )

I don't want La Russa as manager, they ran Torre out because of "under achievement" and you can't get a bigger under achiever than La Russa.

You've gotta be kidding me. La Russa got way more out of this year's crap sandwich than anyone else could've. There was no excuse for the Cardinals to have contended as late as they did, but they did because the team is managed well. Tony La Russa has consistently gotten his teams to the postseason. That's not underachieving.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

...about the only other place I could think of my boy VitaminD running to would be back to columbia-cloaked Chapel Hill.

(Or back to Vegas, perhaps... :D )

I spoke to folks in Chapel Hill. They don't want him back. So it's Vegas, baby!

nav-logo.png

Bobby Cox :-P

I'd like them to get Joey G.

We'll see.

I'd say there's not a chance. I don't think that's the type of move the Red Sox would do just to spite the Yankees. Maybe pursuing A-Rod a little bit harder than they otherwise would if he were to opt out, but not this one. For one, while I've been down on Francona the past two years, he hasn't actually done anything that justifies him being on the hotseat. He's actually gotten quite a bit better over the course of the season, although this bullpen kind of managed itself with Delcarmen for the 7th, Okajima for the 8th, and Papelbon for the 9th for the better part of the season. I think he's the perfect guy to manage the Red Sox -- he seems to fit in with the overall team personality.

I don't know where Torre ends up but I think he'll struggle when he gets there. With that said, I've always admired the guy but he gained a big fan during this whole situation. Hopefully Posada and Rivera go with him.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived